numbness

dw54rn
dw54rn Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i had bilateral mast. 14 months ago with lymph nodes removedfrom left axillary. my underarm is still quite numb-how long does this numbness last?

Comments

• MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    numb
    I just had my mastectomy/ALND in Feb 2010 - I have numbness in the chest & underarm areas and was told by my dr that it may stay that way . . . ?? I don't know - I wonder if some of the nerve endings will eventually grow back and the numbness get less or go away completely . . .?
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    numbness
    dw54rn
    Hi, I had surgery July 0f 09 with 4 lymphnodes removed, and my underarm is still numb in places. I was told it may be a permanent thing, however once in a while I have a funny feeling there as well, like I am carrying a rough piece of cardboard there, and I am hoping it's "waking up" from the numbness.
    There's alot of hard tissie there as well since my tumor was on the side of my right breast, almost in the armpit, had only one incision for both the tumor and the nodes.
    I will be seeing my surgeon this week, and will post if I get some new info.
    Take care
    sgamtd
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Numbness
    My left upper arm is still numb in areas due to nerve damage during surgery. That was in 2002. I had 11 lymphs removed for biops so extensive invasive surgery.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member

Numbness
    My left upper arm is still numb in areas due to nerve damage during surgery. That was in 2002. I had 11 lymphs removed for biops so extensive invasive surgery.

Still numb
    My armpit is still numb after 4 years, and had 13 nodes removed. The back of my left arm has a type of "pins and needles" effect. It was numb, but progressed to that stage, but no further. I feel, in MY case, that it's gone as far as it's going to go.

I don't know that there is a pat answer for your question. I think it's up to the individual.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    survives said:

Still numb
    My armpit is still numb after 4 years, and had 13 nodes removed. The back of my left arm has a type of "pins and needles" effect. It was numb, but progressed to that stage, but no further. I feel, in MY case, that it's gone as far as it's going to go.

I don't know that there is a pat answer for your question. I think it's up to the individual.

I agree: I think that
    I agree: I think that everyone is different. I don't remember having numbness (or at least not for long) when I had lymph nodes removed. But, I did have sigificant numbness with my bilateral mastectomy. That was 14 months ago, and it is much improved since then, except when I do something like putting on deodorant.

Joyce