Don't understand?

Options
2»

Comments

• hang in there
    Hi, I am just 2 weeks post today but I can tell you for me the first week was bad but this week has been better. I am able to get up and about for a little bit each day which is helping. I was told this would be expected but didn't realize it would be like this. Just take it slowly. I was told it will take a couple of weeks for the radiation to quit working in your body until you start to feel better so for me I am just counting the days down post. Hang in there, you are not alone.
    Debbie

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    unknown said:

Why not Mucinex in the stomach?
    Why not Mucinex in the stomach? What will happen?
  • Ejw00100
    Ejw00100 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Radiation
    I can only tell you that radiation is the gift that keeps giving. I am three years out and am living with the unplanned results of the R. You will get better and you will adjust to the unexpected side effects. I can see your a Yankee fan so that alone shows your strength. Good luck. Ed
  • miccmill
    miccmill Member Posts: 248
    Options

Why not Mucinex in the stomach?
    Why not Mucinex in the stomach? What will happen?

Mucinex thru the PEG tube
    I can't find any reference against using Guifessen (Mucinex)through a PEG tube.

I know our Rad/Oncs are recommending it.
  • meinken
    meinken Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Although I've been reading
    Although I've been reading this forum since I was diagnosed in Jan of this year with NPC, I have not posted. However, I understand and felt the same way you do. I am 8 weeks out of radiation and I wore a pain patch and also occationally took pain meds for the first month. I really started to feel better after that month and stopped the patch and meds. I started eating one meal a day orally, and have not used the feeding tube in almost 3 weeks, and have been back to work for two. Just hang in, you will feel better soon.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    meinken said:

Although I've been reading
    Although I've been reading this forum since I was diagnosed in Jan of this year with NPC, I have not posted. However, I understand and felt the same way you do. I am 8 weeks out of radiation and I wore a pain patch and also occationally took pain meds for the first month. I really started to feel better after that month and stopped the patch and meds. I started eating one meal a day orally, and have not used the feeding tube in almost 3 weeks, and have been back to work for two. Just hang in, you will feel better soon.

meinken
    Welcome, from another NPC. Glad to hear you're doing so good. I, too, was amazed with my recovery: weened myself off the PEG formulas shortly after my last rad in early-April of 09, and returned to work a month later. Started really eating around 4-months after. Glad you finally posted a comment- very welcome.

kcass
  • Kent Cass said:

meinken
    Welcome, from another NPC. Glad to hear you're doing so good. I, too, was amazed with my recovery: weened myself off the PEG formulas shortly after my last rad in early-April of 09, and returned to work a month later. Started really eating around 4-months after. Glad you finally posted a comment- very welcome.

kcass

• thegirlfriend
    thegirlfriend Member Posts: 142
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Marathon
    Charles,

You are in a Marathon and it is mile 25 now. Your mouth is dry, your legs feel like rubber and you want to lay down and take a nap. You don't want to take another step. But something tells you, that you can't do that just yet. You want to get to that finish line.

You can see the top of the banners just over the crest of the next hill. Your stride is a bit shorter now, basically, placing one foot in front of the other. Not at a good pace like the beginning, when your were taking 3-4 foot strides, now at 1-2 foot steps at a time. You have hit the WALL, your fatigue level is flat, sleep is the only thing you can think of. Where is that water, my throat is so dry, like a Desert.

In reality, it will be about 4-5 weeks, maybe sooner that you will have one good day per week. Then it will be two days per week. My Radiation Oncologist told me that I might have to deal with the Fatigue issue for nearly one year. I found that I had to deal with it longer then that. But as it has been mentioned before, each of us react differently then the next person. Your nearly there, don't quit now. You can do this.
    Remember, there are only 3 things you can't do. 1- slam a revolving door 2- strike a match on a wet bar of soap and 3- can't put used toothpaste in a used toothpaste tube, anything else you can do. Now get down and give me 20. : )

My Best to You and Everyone Here

thanks MarineE5. my
    thanks MarineE5. my boyfriend is going on 9 months since treatment stopped and still battles the fatigue. Im sure though that everything must surround the nutrition aspect of recovery. I mean you have to feed the body as best you can, and the less you are able to feed it, the longer you may have the fatigue. wouldnt that make sense?

Kathy
  • unknown said:

• dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Hey Irish
    You have a long ways ....I finished radiation January 25th, Alot the people here are right, it gets better, but ususually 4,6, 8 weeks...Today I still get fatigued at work, at am glad to say I finally gained 10-lbs, I started out at 202, went to 140, and today weighed in at 150, I leave for vacation to go see my family in the upper part of Michigan. I have to agree nutrition is a big part, it's just trying to get the body to accept food again, either my stomach shrunk when i got sick, or i got a mental trip from raditation. You'll get there, don't get scared, we are here for you..Dennis