Arms and legs feel like rubber

Options
smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all I had Chemo 5 days ago (TCH ). My third day was the worst ( weak sick exhausted ) but I am feeling pretty good now except my arms and legs feel like rubber, when I do anything. I was wondering if any of you have had this feeling and how did you get rid of it? I feel OK when I am just sitting but when I get up to do anything I get a little weak and go to rubber limbs. Hope I don't sound like a baby but this is very annoying. I walk as much as I can in the house. It has been raining so cant go out to walk. Been trying to eat well, but don't want much. Fruits ( apples bananas ) puddings, Ensure, Eggs, Toast, Nut bars. Thanks for any advise. Kay

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes -- rubber limbs
    Hi, Kay -

I had a different cocktail than you're doing, but I remember the "rubber limbs" thing very well. I called it being "tired from the neck down," because, after about Day 4, it wasn't like a sleepy tired -- like you said, I'd feel okay as long as I was sitting down, but got really weak when I got up to move around.

Making sure I got a little protein every day, drinking plenty of water, and walking a little bit every day helped some -- it sounds like you're already doing all of that, so keep it up.

Definitely talk with your doctor about it the next time you see him/her, but, unfortunately, this is a side effect of chemo they don't have a Magic Pill for -- you just have to be patient with yourself. After the first week, I started to notice more of an upward trend in energy, so let's hope the same for you!

Traci
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Ah, yes -- rubber limbs
    Hi, Kay -

I had a different cocktail than you're doing, but I remember the "rubber limbs" thing very well. I called it being "tired from the neck down," because, after about Day 4, it wasn't like a sleepy tired -- like you said, I'd feel okay as long as I was sitting down, but got really weak when I got up to move around.

Making sure I got a little protein every day, drinking plenty of water, and walking a little bit every day helped some -- it sounds like you're already doing all of that, so keep it up.

Definitely talk with your doctor about it the next time you see him/her, but, unfortunately, this is a side effect of chemo they don't have a Magic Pill for -- you just have to be patient with yourself. After the first week, I started to notice more of an upward trend in energy, so let's hope the same for you!

Traci

Hi Traci
    Thank you ! I am doing the protein and eating well as much as possible. I move around as much as I can but it is raining here every day all day lately. I will keep on keeping on. I guess we just have to push through some of it. I am glad I don't have to have Chemo Evey week Phew! All and all I am doing pretty well I hope you are feeling well. Are you all done with treatment? I wish for that day. Best to you Take care Kay
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Hi Traci
    Thank you ! I am doing the protein and eating well as much as possible. I move around as much as I can but it is raining here every day all day lately. I will keep on keeping on. I guess we just have to push through some of it. I am glad I don't have to have Chemo Evey week Phew! All and all I am doing pretty well I hope you are feeling well. Are you all done with treatment? I wish for that day. Best to you Take care Kay

Miss Kay -- I too was on TCH for 18 weeks straight
    no break in treatment. By my 5th weeks - I was ready to give up! I got very tired of feeling like a Mac truck ran me over .. day after day, week after week.

What I did .. no energy to go outside and take a walk .. was to walk up and down my stairs everyday .. first 3 times, then 4 times - 2 times a day. I didn't always make my goal.. but I tell you .. Exercise is the key .. I am not saying .. go out and run a mile .. Please find places in your home, where you can exercise.. squats - kitchen chairs - or hold on with 1 arm .. move your legs or arms up & down, circles .. Are you able to drive to an indoor mall ? If so, walk - slowly - enjoy window shopping ..

I spent at least 3 days a weeks in bed .. the other 4 days I tried to push myself ... again, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Dont beat yourself up, chemo's doing that. Again, be kind to yourself - eat well -- if you can manage --protein and water, water and more water - we need to flush our systems.

Best of luck :-))

Vicki Sam
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Rubber Legs
    I had the rubber leg syndrom too. I refered to my legs as my worse enemy while at work. There was a set of stairs down to the supply room. I would open the door to go down, look at the stairs and deciced I could wait. I really hated that feeling. It will go away after a few days. Hang in there it will get better.
  • faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
    Options

Rubber Legs
    I had the rubber leg syndrom too. I refered to my legs as my worse enemy while at work. There was a set of stairs down to the supply room. I would open the door to go down, look at the stairs and deciced I could wait. I really hated that feeling. It will go away after a few days. Hang in there it will get better.

The Jello Syndrome
    Yep, everything the other ladies have said I experienced as well.

I resorted to Tylenol PM when my legs and feet would 'wiggle and jiggle' and sometimes cramp as I tried to drift off to sleep.

I, too, worked to build my protein up and potassium via the occasional banana.

*Hmmm...banana and other mixed fruits might make a festive holiday mold*

Hang in there, and don't be shy if you need to ask someone for a seat if you venture out.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options

The Jello Syndrome
    Yep, everything the other ladies have said I experienced as well.

I resorted to Tylenol PM when my legs and feet would 'wiggle and jiggle' and sometimes cramp as I tried to drift off to sleep.

I, too, worked to build my protein up and potassium via the occasional banana.

*Hmmm...banana and other mixed fruits might make a festive holiday mold*

Hang in there, and don't be shy if you need to ask someone for a seat if you venture out.

Yep, I had that too! It was
    Yep, I had that too! It was so hard to describe to someone. I would be tired but not sleepy tired, i would feel like i was walking in mud. It was such an effort, actually, I am going through this again. I am dragging today, plus we are having a major heat wave...supposed to be in the 100's all week. so that does not help.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    meena1 said:

Yep, I had that too! It was
    Yep, I had that too! It was so hard to describe to someone. I would be tired but not sleepy tired, i would feel like i was walking in mud. It was such an effort, actually, I am going through this again. I am dragging today, plus we are having a major heat wave...supposed to be in the 100's all week. so that does not help.

I also had rubber legs.
    I also had rubber legs. Sometimes my legs would shake uncontrollably, and if I didn't sit down immediately my legs would give out. Make sure you don't fall. No matter where you go, lay down for a nap or to the bathroom, take your cell phone. You never know when you may need it.
    You will get thru this. It will pass. Hang in there, stay encouraged.
    1 big hug 2 u
    Jennifer
  • JanetMacK
    JanetMacK Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Rubbery Legs
    add me to the Rubbery Leg party. In fact, I'm having chemo today and am going to ask the doctor about this. Last chemo was the first time it happened. Adding to this, (like a complete fool) I got so nervous when it started to happen that I made it worse by bringing on anxiety attacks which pretty much are "Oh, my legs are weak. I could fall. I better sit down. No, I better force myself to walk. Oophs, there it is again" and I would bring it on myself or worsen it. The fear factor is something else. I calmed down a great deal because twice I noticed that when there was a little household emergency (daughter locked out, etc) I could zip thru the house pretty damn normally. Kind of proved a lot of it was in my mind. Anyway, if I learn anything from the doc I'll pass it on. Hope you're feeling better.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Kay
    I also had the jello

Hi Kay
    I also had the jello limbs when i was going through chemo. You really do have to be careful cuz of the falling risks. Most of the time i was dropping anything that i carried ...so be careful you dont drop anything on your toes. Towards the end i also started getting really bad charlie horses especially in my arches of my feet...it would actually make my toes curl...it was painful.
    I found walking does help...the other girls had some good advise on exercises inside the home...since its been raining where you are.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Hi Kay
    I also had the jello

Hi Kay
    I also had the jello limbs when i was going through chemo. You really do have to be careful cuz of the falling risks. Most of the time i was dropping anything that i carried ...so be careful you dont drop anything on your toes. Towards the end i also started getting really bad charlie horses especially in my arches of my feet...it would actually make my toes curl...it was painful.
    I found walking does help...the other girls had some good advise on exercises inside the home...since its been raining where you are.

Ditto
    Just started Taxotere and Cytoxin last week. My legs are rubbery, but not all the time. I have been walking.
    Suzanne
  • MsHolmes45
    MsHolmes45 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I just experienced this for the first time [?] My chemo was years ago. Does anyone recognize this? Thanks