My beautiful little Japanese wife of 32 years has recurrent ovarian cancer

Options
Robert G
Robert G Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I just found this site while doing my regular Web search for any information I can find on Ovarian cancer. My beautiful little Japanese wife of 32 years has stage 4 recurrent ovarian cancer. She has just completed the 5th session of 6 planned in her second round of chemo after 2 operations. I need to know how it will go from here, how much longer she has, how painful this will be for her and any other advice/feedback anyone can give.

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Robert....
    I know I speak

Robert....

I know I speak for all of us here when I say that I am so very sorry about your wife. This is a wonderful "club", full of smart, caring, courageous women, but none of us are happy to be members.

I am pretty new to this whole thing, although like you, I have done a great deal of research. I was diagnosed in Sept of 2009, had the big surgery and started chemo right away. I have completed all 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol and am now on Taxol maintenance for a year. Mine is Stage IIIc.

Only God knows "how much longer she has". Recurrent OC is a chronic illness, like Diabetes, for instance, that must be treated and managed on an on-going basis. If your wife responds well to treatment she can live with the disease for many years, although she may have to have treatments, off and on, for the rest of her life. I know a woman who has recurrent Stage 3c and she was diagnosed 11 years ago, and has had many courses of chemotherapy, but has a very good quality of life. She works full-time and looks/feels great.

I see from your profile that your wife had a remission of almost 2 years. That is a good sign. What drugs have her doctors prescribed for her recurrence? What is her CA 125? I am still in remission after first line chemo, but there are many ladies on here that have had a recurrence. Some have had more than one.

We are a very active group, so come back often. We will always be here for you and your wife.

Carlene
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Robert
    and welcome. I'm so sorry to about your wife. If she had a year or so remission, this chemo might put her right back there, so she could easily have years even left. I think from here, you need to think as positive as you can, and take it a step at a time. Is the current chemo seem to be working?

I was dx 3C 3 years ago, and had 8 glorious months of NED, but been in treatment the rest of the time. My QOL is good, and I am on a chemo break now. I live in Japan and have my chemo treatments here, although did surgeries in the States, with a very aggressive surgeon. So, I consult with my doctors in the US, before proceeding to the next step.

I was encouraged by something my US doctor said to me in December when I was there for a consultation. He said that he had several patients that had NED after 3rd line and 4th line chemo and that was years ago. I know the stats do say that once you recur, you are chronic, and will need to be on chemo the rest of your life. But, even treating your cancer as a chronic disease, you can live for years, OR experience NED and never recur. We have lot's of great examples of women on this board.

What a wonderful husband you are to come here and get infomation. You wife is one blessed lady!

kathleen
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hello Robert and welcome to
    Hello Robert and welcome to our board.

I was diagnosed with stage IV ovca in 2/07. Since then my cancer has recurred 3 times.

My first line of chemo I was in remission for about 1 year and 1 month. After my second line of chemo (for a period of 6 months), I was in remission for only 6 months.

My third line of chemo was an oral chemo that really did'nt work for me upon which I was taken off of it immediately because my numbers continued to rise while on it.

I just finished 12-weeks of once-a-week chemo and am currently in remission with a ca-125 of 3. (Which I haven't seen my numbers this low for years). How long will I be in remission? I'm not sure. I do know with this illness, it must be taken one day at a time.

It kind of seems you are expecting the worst? But don't do this, I and many stage IV survivors are living testimony that a quality life is very possible. We just have to readjust our lives around doctors' appts, lab, etc.,but life is still wonderful.

It is great that you are looking out for your wife, my husband was my voice for a while and having him there brought so much peace of mind during such a scary and difficult journey. Your being there for your wife will be a positive factor in her healing process too.

Take care and stay strong,

Sharon