CA125-What is "Normal"

Options
froggy1
froggy1 Member Posts: 205
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
This number seems to dominate our life, once we are diagnosed. I have seen the "normal" range referred to as 0-35, and also 0-17. Also, I was told by my gyn/onc. that individual trends are very important. So, if you are a 6 and you suddenly double to a 12, that may not be a good thing. While in the "real world" you are normal, you are not really. Comments????

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    AH YES, THOSE DASTARDLY NUMBERS!
    We do rely on them a great deal. Back in 2000 when I was diagnosed, the 'norm' was 0-35. Now my lab reports say the range is 0-22. I think each lab may have different criteria. Either way, if there is a rise in any given month, for example, my doctor usually repeats the test the following month. Consistent rise in numbers would indicate it requires further investigation, but up and down numbers don't necessarily mean anything. It's tricky, but you'll find your 'comfort zone'. And, of course, any additional symptomology is important to report to your doctor.

Have a good day. Sending hugs and prayers!
    Monika
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My gyn onc explained it
    My gyn onc explained it likewise as the trend - trending up, trending down; with key changes of doubling or halving being quite significant. The absolute number may not relate to the amount of cancer that might be present, just the overall trend. --Annie