MIL dx with breast cancer at 87

kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HI everyone, I am a 3 year ovarian cancer survivor, and and coming over here for advice. My MIL is 87 and just had a biopsy result come back as breast cancer. It is a small palpable tumor by the nipple. She goes in tomorrow to get the info on how to proceed.

What is the protocol? A CT or some such thing to check for mets? How do they check to see if it is in the lymph system? Is that done during surgery? Is a lumpectomy done in a clinic, or a hospital? How do they determine if this is primary or mets? SHe has been having a lot of bowel problems, and I have been wondering about ovarian cancer actually. Her mom died from breast cancer so I suspect she may have the BRCA gene. Is it good to ask to check for that right away? What is the tumor marker used for breast cancer?

I'm so sorry for all the questions. Any input on this would be so helpful. I live in Japan and am headed over there in a few days for a vaca, and am hoping to be of some support to her.

Many thanks,
kathleen

Comments

• ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I can tell you how mine went
    First let me say I am sorry you had to come here but this is a great place.
    I can tell you how mine went...After the biopsy I had a lumpectomy. At that time they did a sential node biopsy. I had 7 nodes removed and thankfully they were all clear. My surgery was done as an outpatient in a surgery center. I was there for about 4 hours. I am now having radiation treatments. When my original biopsy was done there was a small marker put in at the tumor site so it was easier for the surgeon to detect.
    I am glad that you are going to be there for her. We all need all the support and encouragement we can get.
    Hope this is helpful.

Hugs
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    the first thing is to see
    the first thing is to see what the pathology is. then they may test her sentinal node. it may depend on her age/health status. I had BC twice then my mom got it after my first diagnosis. I dont have the gene. They will have to decide on the surgery mastectomy vs lumpectomy. there are so many variables. surgery is done in OR for lumpectomy and mastectomy it can be day surgery depending on reconstruction status. to stage the diagnosis they will do CT and bone scan usually. I think lumps in the breast are usually primary tumors . others will write in. let us know how she is and congrats on 3 years NED
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Kathleen
    I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

To check for lymph node involvement, most surgeons nowadays perform what's called a sentinel node biopsy. Usually done at the same time as lumpectomy or mastectomy, but sometimes done beforehand.

Most lumpectomies are done under general anesthesia as a hospital surgical procedure -- but I don't know if your mother-in-law's age might affect recommendations for surgery, anesthesia, hospitalization, etc.

Only a very small percentage of breast cancers are caused by the BRCA gene -- many families have mothers, grandmothers, sisters who all have breast cancer, and they're all BRCA negative (my family, for example).

There are several different tumor markers for breast cancer -- and, to be honest, I don't know why oncologists choose one over the other. And many oncologists don't test them at all -- there's a lot of controversy about whether or not they're even helpful.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more answers!

Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    ladyg said:

I can tell you how mine went
    First let me say I am sorry you had to come here but this is a great place.
    I can tell you how mine went...After the biopsy I had a lumpectomy. At that time they did a sential node biopsy. I had 7 nodes removed and thankfully they were all clear. My surgery was done as an outpatient in a surgery center. I was there for about 4 hours. I am now having radiation treatments. When my original biopsy was done there was a small marker put in at the tumor site so it was easier for the surgeon to detect.
    I am glad that you are going to be there for her. We all need all the support and encouragement we can get.
    Hope this is helpful.

Hugs

it may be a tumor that
    it may be a tumor that requires only excision and an aromitase inhibitor, or radiation. it depends on the path, size, node status. estrogen progesterone her 2 status. to determine what she will need. hopefully it will be minimal. usually BC is more aggressive in younger women hopefully it wont be aggressive, it would be alot to go through at her age.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    WOW...Japan, how cool!
    Hi Kathleen
    Congrads on your 3 years!!
    I think it would depend on her tumor size and what stage ect ect. to determine her treatment.
    But heres what i did...I had a lumpectomy, which is usually an outpatient thing.
    Shortly after that i had a mastectomy (both breast removed)and at the same time i had 12 lymphnodes removed and tissue expanders were put in as the first phase of reconstruction. This surgery i spent a couple days in the hospital for.
    Then i had chemo for 4 months and now im scheduled for reconstruction to put in the permanent implant.
    If it was me i would tell my doctor the concerns about the ovarian cancer and her problems shes having.
    Good luck with your mil, hope everything turns out ok for her!
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    jo jo said:

WOW...Japan, how cool!
    Hi Kathleen
    Congrads on your 3 years!!
    I think it would depend on her tumor size and what stage ect ect. to determine her treatment.
    But heres what i did...I had a lumpectomy, which is usually an outpatient thing.
    Shortly after that i had a mastectomy (both breast removed)and at the same time i had 12 lymphnodes removed and tissue expanders were put in as the first phase of reconstruction. This surgery i spent a couple days in the hospital for.
    Then i had chemo for 4 months and now im scheduled for reconstruction to put in the permanent implant.
    If it was me i would tell my doctor the concerns about the ovarian cancer and her problems shes having.
    Good luck with your mil, hope everything turns out ok for her!

Thank you!
    Wow you guys are great!! I just posted. I guess there are a few variables and we will have to wait to hear the doc's recommendations.

Hugs,
    kathleen

PS I am still in treatment, although able to take the summer off from chemo. I am still holding out for another dance with NED!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Kathleen
    I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

To check for lymph node involvement, most surgeons nowadays perform what's called a sentinel node biopsy. Usually done at the same time as lumpectomy or mastectomy, but sometimes done beforehand.

Most lumpectomies are done under general anesthesia as a hospital surgical procedure -- but I don't know if your mother-in-law's age might affect recommendations for surgery, anesthesia, hospitalization, etc.

Only a very small percentage of breast cancers are caused by the BRCA gene -- many families have mothers, grandmothers, sisters who all have breast cancer, and they're all BRCA negative (my family, for example).

There are several different tumor markers for breast cancer -- and, to be honest, I don't know why oncologists choose one over the other. And many oncologists don't test them at all -- there's a lot of controversy about whether or not they're even helpful.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more answers!

Traci

I am so sorry about your
    I am so sorry about your mother in law. Bc seems to know no age or have any reasoning as to whom it inflicts.

Traci did a great job, as usual, in answering your questions.

I had a needle core biopsy done first to see if I had bc, which I did. I then had a lumpectomy with radiation treatments. I also had the sentinel node tested at the same time as the lumpectomy and it was clean, so, I didn't have to take chemo. The pathology report which tells everything only comes after surgery. That tells you what type of bc, stage, if you are ER or PR negative or positive and if you are HER2 negative or positive..lots of important info.

These are really things that her oncologist should go over with her as we are all unique and different in our treatments and diagnosis.

I wish her the best of luck. I hope I didn't confuse you more.

And, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Sue :)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    kayandok said:

Thank you!
    Wow you guys are great!! I just posted. I guess there are a few variables and we will have to wait to hear the doc's recommendations.

Hugs,
    kathleen

PS I am still in treatment, although able to take the summer off from chemo. I am still holding out for another dance with NED!

Everyone here is great!
    Everyone here is great! Your doctor will be able to put your mind at ease. Ask lots and if you need someone else there to listen, take someone else too. Take a notepad or even a tape recorder. And, have your questions written down. That way you won't forget anything.

Praying for your MIL and for you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    carkris said:

it may be a tumor that
    it may be a tumor that requires only excision and an aromitase inhibitor, or radiation. it depends on the path, size, node status. estrogen progesterone her 2 status. to determine what she will need. hopefully it will be minimal. usually BC is more aggressive in younger women hopefully it wont be aggressive, it would be alot to go through at her age.

I hope that whatever your
    I hope that whatever your MIL needs is minimal, like carkris said. Praying that she can get through whatever treatment she needs to take.

Good luck!