Results of the bone density scan

jo jo
jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went to the dentist last week and they discovered that the chemo had made me loose some density in my teeth...so i went to the doc and they gave me a bone density scan...i didnt get the results yet when i walked into my dentist office yesterday and he started telling me that i needed to WAIT ON TAKING MY MEDICATION FOR MY OSTEOPOROSIS....WHAT? I asked him what he was talking about WHAT MEDICATION...WHAT OSTEOPOROSIS? HE then realized that my doctor had not told me yet and he kept on apoligizing to me. As soon as i got out of the dentist office my doctor calls me...except she wanted me to come into the office cuz she didnt want to tell me on the phone but i told her what just happened in the dentist office and she felt really bad...I guess it was just one of those fluke things. I thought the whole thing was kinda comical.
Well like they said my bone density scan was really bad and i now have osteoporosis! Whats the worst that can happen...i could shrink!! hehehe!

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    glad its not what you were
    glad its not what you were worrying about but it still needs to be addressed!!! you are going to live to an old age and dont want to break a hip!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    carkris said:

glad its not what you were
    glad its not what you were worrying about but it still needs to be addressed!!! you are going to live to an old age and dont want to break a hip!

I love your sense of
    I love your sense of humor!!!

Sue :)
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Yes, you will shrink, but so
    Yes, you will shrink, but so will the rest of us, if from nothing else...age!! I, too, was dx with osteoporosis in my spine and osteopenia in my hips. I really don't think it's the end of the world and I haven't started taking any medications for it yet. I am faithfully taking calcium and vit d3 daily, exercising 5 times a week and eating foods that are good for bone health. My mother had osteopososis but managed to control her's with medication. I will see a new family practice doctor in the near future and will discuss this at that time. Good luck and let me know what your doctor recommends.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    MyTurnNow said:

Yes, you will shrink, but so will the rest of us, if from nothing else...age!! I, too, was dx with osteoporosis in my spine and osteopenia in my hips. I really don't think it's the end of the world and I haven't started taking any medications for it yet. I am faithfully taking calcium and vit d3 daily, exercising 5 times a week and eating foods that are good for bone health. My mother had osteopososis but managed to control her's with medication. I will see a new family practice doctor in the near future and will discuss this at that time. Good luck and let me know what your doctor recommends.

What did they say about the mass in your chest wall
    Did they say anything about the mass you said you felt in your chest wall?
    Lorrie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    MyTurnNow said:

Like MyTurnNow said,
    Like MyTurnNow said, osteoporosis can be controlled with medication.

Good luck in your treatment of it.

Hugs, Megan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    MyTurnNow said:

They determend that i had
    They determend that i had osteoporosis in my spine and right hip and osteopenia in my left hip. My doc put me on Boniva...but im not starting it till after surgery on the 14th.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jo jo said:

They determend that i had
    They determend that i had osteoporosis in my spine and right hip and osteopenia in my left hip. My doc put me on Boniva...but im not starting it till after surgery on the 14th.

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on Boniva jojo! Hoping it helps you!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    DianeBC said:

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on Boniva jojo! Hoping it helps you!

How is a bone density test
    How is a bone density test performed? Thinking about asking my dr for one after rads.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

How is a bone density test
    How is a bone density test performed? Thinking about asking my dr for one after rads.

Jo Jo
    Sorry. . It can be controlled and even bones can be rebuild. I am glad that it was caught early.How is your vitamin D3 level? you might need extra dose of it (50,000 weekly). I am sure you have taken Ca supplement as well as exercisers . Your sense of humor is amassing, keep staying positive.
    New Flower