A little bit of good news!

Options
mikesmom01
mikesmom01 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
It's been a while since I posted because there was really nothing to tell. However.......Mike had another endoscopy done and there was not even a trace of a tumor anywhere!!!! The gastro doc was shocked and so are we. As I understand it tho, this does not mean remission at all, it may mean an extension on my son's life, and I'll take that! The regular onc doc hasn't seen it yet, but has started him back on chemo yesterday. This time he's on different drugs as follows: Oxaliplatin, Epirubison, and then 3 pills twice a day of Xeloda. This is supposed to help some with nausea and so forth. I'm not sure yet how long all this will go on, but I think like every 3 weeks. Radiation has been over with for a couple of weeks now. His G-tube is scheduled to come out on July 7th, this worries me as I;m afraid he might need it a little later. All I can do now is keep my faith, and believe God has this, isn't faith not believing, but "knowing"??? He does seem to be having more better days and visits with friends and family all he can. I'm so very proud of him and the way he has been handeling all this, like a champ!!! His faith in God and his spiritual being is so centered and always has been from the beginning of all this. I pray every day and night for him to have peace in his heart and grace to carry him thru.
I hope all you are doing well and that your loved ones are as well. I'll try to get more caught up on everyone in the next few days. In the meantime my thoughts and prayers are always with you.
Martha

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Options
    Martha,
    I might ask the

Martha,

I might ask the doctors if they think that Mike can tolerate the G-Tube a little longer. Nutrition is so critical to EC patients and as you say you are concerned if Mike is unable to eat or keep food down what will happen --- a valid concern. As for faith - a little story you already probably have heard. A man met God at the pearly gates and asked him why did he allow him to drown and God said I sent you all the help I could you just wouldn't take it and the man said what are you talking about? Then God explained - first I sent the local police to help you out of your house because of the coming flood and you said no you would stay put because God would take care of you, then as the waters rose I sent you a rowboat and you refused to go with the folks in the rowboat saying God would take care of you, the finally as the waters were near your roof and you had climbed up there I sent you a helicoper and you refused to get on the helicoper. So the moral to the story is God helps you, not always the way we might think, and sometimes requires us to use our common sense and the gifts he has given us. As the old story goes God helps those that help themselves. So while I certainly believe God has this and Mike in his hands --- the battle with this cancer requires some girding up and taking charge. If you are uncomfortable with something don't just sit by while the doctors make the decisions. So many on this site are still here because they insisted on being heard.

And my concern for nutrition comes from the fact that I saw my father nearly die because he couldn't get the proper nutrition, a delay by the docs in giving him a J-tube and the stress of the multiple surgeries on his body (they should have given him a J-tube the first time the stent fell into his stomach). When someone is undergoing chemo and radiation and a battle with cancer I think minimizing surgeries is probably a good idea. Thank God my father is recovering from the 2 stent related surgeries and to put in the J-Tube, but there were days we were not so sure, and I know others who have not made it.

I hope you understand that I don't mean to question your faith --- I just think if you have concerns you shouldn't push them aside so easily and just turn things over to the docs.

Best,
    Cindy
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    Great News!!!
    Martha,

Great news about Mike!!! I know he has had a rough time and he sure needs some GOOD news for a change. I agree with Cindy, if Mike does not object to keeping the feeding tube for a little while longer, it might be a good idea to keep it for a few weeks just to see how the next round of chemo is going to go.

I lost 10 lbs while going through chemo and I forced myself to eat even when I had no desire for food. I think in addition to the lack of appetite, chemo drugs reduce the ability of your body to process food efficiently. I would discuss this option with Mike and his doctors.

But don't forget to take a few days to bask in the good news before you return to the battle!!!

We will be praying that Mike continues to get good news as you move forward.

Paul Adams
    AKA "paul61"
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Martha
    I am so happy to read

Martha
    I am so happy to read some good news today---especially about one of our new EC folks! You guys have had a scary few months---now is time to take a breath, say thanks and enjoy each other's company! I do agree about the feeding tube though---just a safety net. I think sometimes Dr's are reluctant to keep them bc of risk of infection or some patients choose to use the tube rather than regular nutrition. But what I have heard and seen is that it doesn't get used unless it is a last resort.
    Kim
  • mikesmom01
    mikesmom01 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    K_ann1015 said:

Martha
    I am so happy to read

Martha
    I am so happy to read some good news today---especially about one of our new EC folks! You guys have had a scary few months---now is time to take a breath, say thanks and enjoy each other's company! I do agree about the feeding tube though---just a safety net. I think sometimes Dr's are reluctant to keep them bc of risk of infection or some patients choose to use the tube rather than regular nutrition. But what I have heard and seen is that it doesn't get used unless it is a last resort.
    Kim

His own idea
    Hello again guys,

In talking with Mike, I believe removing the feeding tube was his own idea. I am against it completly. I wasn't with him at the particular appointment when he came home saying this. I believe when he saw the surgeon who put in in was the day. I'm not even sure that his regular oncologist knows about it yet, however I bet Mike told him Monday when he went in for chemo. I'll find out tho and definetly speak with Mike about it once more. He's just insistant on making his own decisions, I guess it's like having some kind of control over his life or something. There have been alot of things come up that I seriously question and or disagree with. Ultimetley these decisions are made by Mike. Sometimes as a mother our hands are tied, I can no longer make the decisions I feel are in his best interest, I wish I could tho!! LOL!
    I so appreciate all of you and all of your suggestions and hope and well wishes This is what carries me thru on most days I may not always post, but I do read alot and I am always amazed at the unconditional love and understanding here. I'll keep coming back!!
    Martha
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options

His own idea
    Hello again guys,

In talking with Mike, I believe removing the feeding tube was his own idea. I am against it completly. I wasn't with him at the particular appointment when he came home saying this. I believe when he saw the surgeon who put in in was the day. I'm not even sure that his regular oncologist knows about it yet, however I bet Mike told him Monday when he went in for chemo. I'll find out tho and definetly speak with Mike about it once more. He's just insistant on making his own decisions, I guess it's like having some kind of control over his life or something. There have been alot of things come up that I seriously question and or disagree with. Ultimetley these decisions are made by Mike. Sometimes as a mother our hands are tied, I can no longer make the decisions I feel are in his best interest, I wish I could tho!! LOL!
    I so appreciate all of you and all of your suggestions and hope and well wishes This is what carries me thru on most days I may not always post, but I do read alot and I am always amazed at the unconditional love and understanding here. I'll keep coming back!!
    Martha

keep the tube please!!
    Hi Martha,
    I second everyone's advice about the g tube staying in, I lost more weight after my last chemo and had to keep the j tube in for 3 months. From the pt's point of view, you get sick of having the tube but since he will be taking a big cocktail of drugs now, he might get more hydration and nutrition and it will cut down his visits to the center for infusions etc. Such good news he has gotten, maybe you need to contact the onc dr about keeping the g tube in longer unless the drs think he will be able to maintain good nutrition without it. Congrats on the good news though!!! prayers always, take care,
    Donna70