dental problems from femara?

Options
straussu
straussu Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have some swelling in my gums that the dentist said is often caused by hormonal treatments. I told him that I am on femara. He doesn't know if that is a known side effect. Has anyone had this problem?

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Hi Straussu! I am not on
    Hi Straussu! I am not on femara, but, wanted to say that I hope someone here that is on it, can post to you.

So sorry to hear of your dental problems. Have you contacted your oncologist and asked him?

Good luck!

Sue :)
  • dottie68
    dottie68 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Hi Straussu! I am not on
    Hi Straussu! I am not on femara, but, wanted to say that I hope someone here that is on it, can post to you.

So sorry to hear of your dental problems. Have you contacted your oncologist and asked him?

Good luck!

Sue :)

I just started femara, so
    I just started femara, hope it doesn't cause dental problems, hope you get a post to see if it does
  • straussu
    Options
    dottie68 said:

I just started femara, so
    I just started femara, hope it doesn't cause dental problems, hope you get a post to see if it does

Thanks all. Am going to my
    Thanks all. Am going to my oncologist in a couple weeks and will ask about it then.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    straussu said:

Thanks all. Am going to my
    Thanks all. Am going to my oncologist in a couple weeks and will ask about it then.

Dental Problems
    Dear Straussu,
    I am a two+ year survivor of b/c, and did experience dental problems with treatment. I was on Femara for about six months, but had to switch to Tamoxifen because of the joint pain. These teeth problems have increased in intensity over the last two years, and after undergoing every dental procedure known to man (peridontal cleaning, replacement of crowns, etc.), the doctors have found that my problem had nothing to do with my teeth. Google "Trigeminal Neuropathy", and you can read the information regarding the mouth issues associated with this problem. The symptoms are a constant "tooth" pain in mainly my upper gum area on the left side of my face. It is a nagging pain that is always there. No one has actually been able to pinpoint its origin, but tell me it has something to do with the Trigeminal Nerve being irritated. So far, the only thing that relieves the pain is pain meds, which I limit myself to twice a day. I was referred to a neurologist by my oncologist, and he is the one who has diagnosed this. You may want to discuss with your oncologist, and see if this is something that may be causing your swelling in your gums. A visit with a neurologist may also be something you could try. Hope things get better, and that this information is helpful. Hugs, Judy
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Hi there... T climbing out
    Hi there... T climbing out of the wood work. I have been on the Femara for 7 months now... I haven't experienced any tooth problems, but then again...shame on me... I haven't been to the dentist either. (Did I mention how much I hate going to the dentist??? No, I mean "really" hate going to the dentist...would rather go through natural child labor & delivery 100 x than sit in a dentist chair once...I have the phobea baddddd)

I have had the severe joint pain... somedays it is so bad that I just don't want to walk across a room... but it is also a side affect of the other meds I'm on...so I don't know which is causing what... all I can say... is I really hate that little orange pill...for being such a tiny little thing it sure carries a powerful punch, and I hate the way it makes me feel like I don't have "my" life...

Sorry couldn't help, but couldn't pass the opportunity to vent, at least a little..

Hugs,
    ~T
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been on Femara for only
    I've been on Femara for only two months and haven't experienced dental problems, but the joint pain is something else. I too don't like going to the dentist so I hope I don't have dental problems. Keep us posted on what your oncologist tells you. Stay strong:)
  • straussu
    Options
    MGNS said:

I've been on Femara for only
    I've been on Femara for only two months and haven't experienced dental problems, but the joint pain is something else. I too don't like going to the dentist so I hope I don't have dental problems. Keep us posted on what your oncologist tells you. Stay strong:)

I had joint pain that was so
    I had joint pain that was so bad that I was tested for rheumatoid arthritis. I don't have it thankfully, and a few months after I was tested the joint pain improved. I only have pain in my feet after sitting for a while. I limp for a few minutes and then it gets better. I also have swelling in my hands off and on. I have been on the Femara for close to 2 years. The dental issues are recent. I hate the side effects of this little yellow pill!
    Thanks everyone for your support. Good luck to all of you.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    straussu said:

I had joint pain that was so
    I had joint pain that was so bad that I was tested for rheumatoid arthritis. I don't have it thankfully, and a few months after I was tested the joint pain improved. I only have pain in my feet after sitting for a while. I limp for a few minutes and then it gets better. I also have swelling in my hands off and on. I have been on the Femara for close to 2 years. The dental issues are recent. I hate the side effects of this little yellow pill!
    Thanks everyone for your support. Good luck to all of you.

Hope you get some answers
    Hope you get some answers from your oncologist about your dental problems.

Good luck to you straussu!

Hugs, Leeza
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    taleena said:

Hi there... T climbing out
    Hi there... T climbing out of the wood work. I have been on the Femara for 7 months now... I haven't experienced any tooth problems, but then again...shame on me... I haven't been to the dentist either. (Did I mention how much I hate going to the dentist??? No, I mean "really" hate going to the dentist...would rather go through natural child labor & delivery 100 x than sit in a dentist chair once...I have the phobea baddddd)

I have had the severe joint pain... somedays it is so bad that I just don't want to walk across a room... but it is also a side affect of the other meds I'm on...so I don't know which is causing what... all I can say... is I really hate that little orange pill...for being such a tiny little thing it sure carries a powerful punch, and I hate the way it makes me feel like I don't have "my" life...

Sorry couldn't help, but couldn't pass the opportunity to vent, at least a little..

Hugs,
    ~T

Taleena
    I too have joint

Taleena

I too have joint pain from Femara. My onc recommended Glucosamine for the joint pain. Seems to have helped me.

Hugs

Donna
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    jnl said:

Hope you get some answers
    Hope you get some answers from your oncologist about your dental problems.

Good luck to you straussu!

Hugs, Leeza

Femara and dental problems
    When I was expecting to start chemo, I had my teeth cleaned, and full checkup including x-rays. Instead of chemo, my oncologist started me on Femara, with monthly Zometa infusions. He was very pleased to know that I had already received a clean bill of dental health, and could proceed with the treatments. I know that Zometa can cause severe jaw problems, but nothing was said about Femara. I go every 4 months for routine dental cleaning. My next visit will include an exam too. So far, so good. Gracie