New - MIL dx w/squamus cell EC yesterday

Options
hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
One cancer at a time was not enough apparently....my mother has SCLC w/mets to brain and spine.

Yesterday my MIL was diagnosed w/squamus cell EC. Inital findings are that it is just in esophagus, however surrounding lymph nodes are swollen. They are doing PET today and putting in a feeding tube this afternoon.

Any advise would be appreciated, she had lung cancer in 06, and head/kneck in 07...

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    It would seem like a EUS and biopsy may be in order
    Hope,

I would think it would be helpful to have an Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS. I am not sure how the squamous cell diagnosis was done, but an EUS would provide indications of tumor size and depth, and surrounding lymph node involvement.

The PET scan will be helpful in identifying potential tumor activity.

I assume after the PET scan there will be some discussion about potential surgery. Be sure to investigate cancer centers that have experience with EC because there are a number of surgical options.

It sounds like your mother has a number of other health challenges so getting an alternate form of nourishment (with the feeding tube) is a good idea.

We will be praying that your mom has a positive prognosis and treatment plan.

Paul Adams
    AKA "paul61"
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • hope0310
    Options
    paul61 said:

It would seem like a EUS and biopsy may be in order
    Hope,

I would think it would be helpful to have an Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS. I am not sure how the squamous cell diagnosis was done, but an EUS would provide indications of tumor size and depth, and surrounding lymph node involvement.

The PET scan will be helpful in identifying potential tumor activity.

I assume after the PET scan there will be some discussion about potential surgery. Be sure to investigate cancer centers that have experience with EC because there are a number of surgical options.

It sounds like your mother has a number of other health challenges so getting an alternate form of nourishment (with the feeding tube) is a good idea.

We will be praying that your mom has a positive prognosis and treatment plan.

Paul Adams
    AKA "paul61"

Thanks....
    Just to clairfy - my mom has the SCLC w/mets she is doing quite well.

My mother in law, was just dx w/ the EC. Thet did do the EUS last Thursday, the tumor is taking up 90% of the diameter of esophagus and is 4cm in length. Some surrounding nodes look inflammed so they will be checking those.

I think once they get more info today from further testing, we will know more treatment wise.

She is in Rock Hill SC, not a great hospital, but she will NEVER go anywhere else, that is where she went for the lung and neck. These are both well, and the onco says this is not mets from either of those sights, completely new cancer.
  • Unknown
    Options
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I have to stick my 2 cents in here
    Hope,

Sorry, but like William, I have to stick my 2 cents in here. I know your mother in law would like to stay somewhere familiar where she has had treatment before. I really hope you can encourage her to consider going to a cancer center where they have expertise in treating EC.

If she will not consider going to the surgeon that William suggests, let me suggest one other alternative. I also live in South Carolina and was diagnosed with EC. I had my staging and surgery done at University of South Carolina in Charleston. That is just a short 185 miles down 77 to I 26. The surgeon there I had was Dr. Carolyn Reed. She is a wonderful doctor and an expert in the treatment of EC. I have included a reference with her information below:

http://www.muschealth.com/findadoc/?Action=DoctorInfo&Doctor_ID=258

In any case, we will be praying that your mother in law gets the best possible treatment with a successful outcome.

Paul Adams
    AKA "paul61"
  • hope0310
    Options
    paul61 said:

Sorry but I have to stick my 2 cents in here
    Hope,

Sorry, but like William, I have to stick my 2 cents in here. I know your mother in law would like to stay somewhere familiar where she has had treatment before. I really hope you can encourage her to consider going to a cancer center where they have expertise in treating EC.

If she will not consider going to the surgeon that William suggests, let me suggest one other alternative. I also live in South Carolina and was diagnosed with EC. I had my staging and surgery done at University of South Carolina in Charleston. That is just a short 185 miles down 77 to I 26. The surgeon there I had was Dr. Carolyn Reed. She is a wonderful doctor and an expert in the treatment of EC. I have included a reference with her information below:

http://www.muschealth.com/findadoc/?Action=DoctorInfo&Doctor_ID=258

In any case, we will be praying that your mother in law gets the best possible treatment with a successful outcome.

Paul Adams
    AKA "paul61"

Thanks...
    Thanks for your input and concern Paul and William...and yes, she is at Piedmont, I would not go there for a stitch much less this. There is no changing her mind, no one can...it will be what it will be at this point. (although I did print out the info incase all of a sudden pigs fly!)

They did not do PET or feeding tube yesterday....go figure. I was impressed yet shocked that they seemed to be moving so quickly.

As for my mom.....I head the sweet, sweet word REMISSION out of the docs mouth this morning!!! I knew there had to be a silver lining somewhere!!

Thanks
    Elysia
  • Unknown
    Options
    hope0310 said:

Thanks...
    Thanks for your input and concern Paul and William...and yes, she is at Piedmont, I would not go there for a stitch much less this. There is no changing her mind, no one can...it will be what it will be at this point. (although I did print out the info incase all of a sudden pigs fly!)

They did not do PET or feeding tube yesterday....go figure. I was impressed yet shocked that they seemed to be moving so quickly.

As for my mom.....I head the sweet, sweet word REMISSION out of the docs mouth this morning!!! I knew there had to be a silver lining somewhere!!

Thanks
    Elysia

• hope0310
    Options
    unknown said:

Just checking in....
    Nothing to report!! Since I am not on this site often, thought I would reply on this thread so you would have history.

Well, not so much of a surprise, they have done little to nothing, and she seems to be fine with that. ??? Guess it was 3 weeks yesterday. Feeding tube in place and sent her home. That's it....nothing else.

If I am not mistaken, she told my husband she has radiation Wed and chemo Thursday this week.

We just are very out of the loop, that is the way it always is....no one is in that loop and it is frustrating. Especially for me....I was and have been there every step of the way with my mother while she goes through her treatments for SCLS, taking notes, calling doc, meeting with doc, asking questions.....

Guess we will be bystanders on the sidelines with this one......

Take care every one....
  • ecdad
    ecdad Member Posts: 11
    Options
    hope0310 said:

Just checking in....
    Nothing to report!! Since I am not on this site often, thought I would reply on this thread so you would have history.

Well, not so much of a surprise, they have done little to nothing, and she seems to be fine with that. ??? Guess it was 3 weeks yesterday. Feeding tube in place and sent her home. That's it....nothing else.

If I am not mistaken, she told my husband she has radiation Wed and chemo Thursday this week.

We just are very out of the loop, that is the way it always is....no one is in that loop and it is frustrating. Especially for me....I was and have been there every step of the way with my mother while she goes through her treatments for SCLS, taking notes, calling doc, meeting with doc, asking questions.....

Guess we will be bystanders on the sidelines with this one......

Take care every one....

Hello
    Hi, I was searching the site for the best surgery doctors in the area and noticed you are from Rock Hill as well. I saw that you lost your mother and I am so sorry, if you need someone to talk to you can email me. My father just started this battle at the beginning of the year and he is doing wayyy better than we expected with both chemo and radiation, he even rode his motorcycle to my house yesterday! We were so bleak about his future in the beginning, the drs at Piedmont gave him no hope and only a year so we went to Duke and they were wonderful! He is still being treated here in Rock Hill with guidance from the Duke doc. I just wondered who her doctors were? And how are you doing? I haven't got to read everything you wrote but I believe you mother wouldn't go anywhere but here, so sorry for that. What a small world it is.

Lisa