After chemo effects. Anyone have this

Options
ms.sunshine
ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Chemo ended in March. I thought great. I had lumpectomy in April, and now radiation June/July.
A month ago my legs started to ache, neuropothy. I never had leg neuropothy while on chemo, but I am having it 3 months later. Nothing helps unless I take pain meds. My dr. called it after chemo side effects, wth. Also if I try to do anything physical my heart feels like it beats erratical. I have to sit down to catch my breath. He has told me this is normal for people who has went thru chemo. Has anyone gone thru this or heard of this? I'm seeing him tomorrow and I want more answers.

My rad tech team has taken images Friday and now today they say it's routine, but I feel something is up. Going to find out tomorrow, will request to look at my images.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    do not worry about images
    it is a routine. I guess they want to know that your treatments is done correctly. As for side effects ask your oncologist for help and suggestions how to deal with your side effects.
    Good luck
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    SOP on images
    They took images every Thursday while I was on rads. The Dr. said it was so that he would see how the rads are doing and if he needed to make changes. I also saw him that day.

About 3 months after chemo, I got some 'tingling' in my toes at night but it passed in about a month. Chemo Dr and my PA both said it was an after effect of treatment. Good that you are seeing him as the erratic heartbeast and shortness of breath should be checked out as some of the chemo's can cause issues with heart.

Good luck

Susan
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Side effects
    The neuropathy in your legs could be a latent side effect of a Taxane type chemo. In your case, it will probably not be permanent because you're getting it after chemo ended. My onc. said the longer the neuropathy symptoms are delayed, the better. I had shortness of breath during treatment and a little beyond, too. Keep talking to your doctors about it, though. Hopefully, everything will clear up. And, as ohter posters have said, don't worry about images during rads. They need to take them routinely to make sure the radiation is hitting the correct areas and avoiding your organs. Good luck with the rest of treatment.

Mimi
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

do not worry about images
    it is a routine. I guess they want to know that your treatments is done correctly. As for side effects ask your oncologist for help and suggestions how to deal with your side effects.
    Good luck

You should talk to your
    You should talk to your oncologist anytime you have something new going on, and, especially if you are having pain. There are so many medications out there to take. I hope he can help you with this.

Hugs, Jan
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    My wife is having some side
    My wife is having some side affects that may be from the sentinal node removal? She is just starting chemo, so the side affects aren't from that. She gets traveling pains down the same side as her surgery that don't last very long, but are definately something. Maybe in addition to the chemo side affects you are having surgery side affects?

Just a thought.

Bob
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

My wife is having some side
    My wife is having some side affects that may be from the sentinal node removal? She is just starting chemo, so the side affects aren't from that. She gets traveling pains down the same side as her surgery that don't last very long, but are definately something. Maybe in addition to the chemo side affects you are having surgery side affects?

Just a thought.

Bob

when they dissect in the
    when they dissect in the breast area node area they interfere with nerves that cause numbness and intermittant pains. sometimes you get that when they are regenerating too.
    I would just have them check your heart to be sure.
    I have neuropathy in my feet and hands, but got it at the endish of taxol. I also feel arthritic and have heard this is a post chemo affect, my joints and muscles hurt.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

when they dissect in the
    when they dissect in the breast area node area they interfere with nerves that cause numbness and intermittant pains. sometimes you get that when they are regenerating too.
    I would just have them check your heart to be sure.
    I have neuropathy in my feet and hands, but got it at the endish of taxol. I also feel arthritic and have heard this is a post chemo affect, my joints and muscles hurt.

Thanks everyone.My doctor
    Thanks everyone.My doctor basically said just what all of you have said. He said it's normal after chemo side effects. My problem is I'm just not able to accept the fact that this is normal. I want to do something to fix it, and I am helpless. It has to run its course, and I have to ride out the storm knowing " and this too shall pass."
    In two weeks I'm finished with rad. and will see my onc. for all the standard tests.
    Jennifer
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone.My doctor basically said just what all of you have said. He said it's normal after chemo side effects. My problem is I'm just not able to accept the fact that this is normal. I want to do something to fix it, and I am helpless. It has to run its course, and I have to ride out the storm knowing " and this too shall pass."
    In two weeks I'm finished with rad. and will see my onc. for all the standard tests.
    Jennifer

Glad you saw your doctor
    Glad you saw your doctor Jennifer. I am sorry that your chemo has done this to you. Hoping it does go away really soon for you.

You will soon be a rad grad! We will celebrate your good news with you!

Sue :)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Jennifer

Glad everything was ok
    Glad everything was ok Jennifer. Soon you will be a Rad Grad!