cancer marker numbers

Options
putzie
putzie Member Posts: 66 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all-
I just received CA15-3 and CA27.29 marker numbers today and although they are in the normal range, they are still a little higher than the last ones. I am new to what the numbers mean but am panicky because they went up, if even slightly. Anyone else know about the markers???
Thank you!!!

Comments

• putzie
    Options
    by the way, my numbers were
    by the way, my numbers were : CA27.29 18.5 and now 24.8
    CA15-3 15 and now 22

thank you!!!
    dawn
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    putzie said:

by the way, my numbers were
    by the way, my numbers were : CA27.29 18.5 and now 24.8
    CA15-3 15 and now 22

thank you!!!
    dawn

Hi Dawn! No, I don't know
    Hi Dawn! No, I don't know anything about them. My oncologist doesn't believe in them. So, I don't have this done. Good luck to you!
  • faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
    Options
    Hello Putzie...
    I'm in the same boat. My CA 15-3 markers have gone progressively up during the course of my chemotherapy. The last lab report indicated my CA 15-3 @ 62 with a reference range <= 25...that's more than double. Both my oncologists (hematology and radiology) are of the opinion they are 'just numbers' and I shouldn't worry about them. "Don't lose any sleep over them"...too late. I, however, am of the opinion that they drew the blood and wanted it checked and there would not be a benchmark if they were just numbers.

I first visited this forum with this in mind and the sentiment of my doctors was echoed by several here. Some indicated that even the doctors don't agree on the significance.

UGH! It's mind numbing, the doctors can tell us exactly what kind of chemo, how many courses, the dosage, but they don't attribute much value to a test that they order?

My own Google search on the topic was frustrating. I'll keep watching this board to see if a definitive explanation actually manifests itself, but I am beginning to lose hope as I watch the content on some of these boards.
  • putzie
    Options

Hello Putzie...
    I'm in the same boat. My CA 15-3 markers have gone progressively up during the course of my chemotherapy. The last lab report indicated my CA 15-3 @ 62 with a reference range <= 25...that's more than double. Both my oncologists (hematology and radiology) are of the opinion they are 'just numbers' and I shouldn't worry about them. "Don't lose any sleep over them"...too late. I, however, am of the opinion that they drew the blood and wanted it checked and there would not be a benchmark if they were just numbers.

I first visited this forum with this in mind and the sentiment of my doctors was echoed by several here. Some indicated that even the doctors don't agree on the significance.

UGH! It's mind numbing, the doctors can tell us exactly what kind of chemo, how many courses, the dosage, but they don't attribute much value to a test that they order?

My own Google search on the topic was frustrating. I'll keep watching this board to see if a definitive explanation actually manifests itself, but I am beginning to lose hope as I watch the content on some of these boards.</p>

Faith, I feel the same way!
    Faith, I feel the same way! I got a phone call saying my numbers were in the "normal" range, which, according to my research, was correct, but I don't know if high is 100 or 1000. I find all kinds of research studies about the markers but no viable information, so I don't know if going up 8 points is a big deal. How frustrating for us both!!!

This is a remarkable forum. Every time I am sad, excited, or frustrated, I run here and look for answers. We are all going through the same thing but at different levels and have all had different experiences. I feel I am in this "sisterhood" with the girls here and it makes me feel like I am almost normal!!!

I am calling my doctor for a difinitive answer on the markers. When she gives me an answer, I will post it and maybe it will help you.
    Hang in there and thank you and everyone for your posts.
    Dawn
  • putzie
    Options
    susie09 said:

Hi Dawn! No, I don't know anything about them. My oncologist doesn't believe in them. So, I don't have this done. Good luck to you!

Thanks Susie...just goes to
    Thanks Susie...just goes to show how different each case and treatment are, huh?
    Good luck to you in your journey!!!!
    dawn
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    putzie said:

Faith, I feel the same way!
    Faith, I feel the same way! I got a phone call saying my numbers were in the "normal" range, which, according to my research, was correct, but I don't know if high is 100 or 1000. I find all kinds of research studies about the markers but no viable information, so I don't know if going up 8 points is a big deal. How frustrating for us both!!!

This is a remarkable forum. Every time I am sad, excited, or frustrated, I run here and look for answers. We are all going through the same thing but at different levels and have all had different experiences. I feel I am in this "sisterhood" with the girls here and it makes me feel like I am almost normal!!!

I am calling my doctor for a difinitive answer on the markers. When she gives me an answer, I will post it and maybe it will help you.
    Hang in there and thank you and everyone for your posts.
    Dawn

I am in a fog when it comes
    I am in a fog when it comes to what the markers and numbers mean too Dawn.

Please post to let us know what yours mean.

Praying that it is all good!

♥ Noel
  • putzie
    Options
    Noel said:

I am in a fog when it comes
    I am in a fog when it comes to what the markers and numbers mean too Dawn.

Please post to let us know what yours mean.

Praying that it is all good!

♥ Noel

Noel, there is so much to
    Noel, there is so much to learn but luckily through this discussion board we can learn together and from each other!! I spoke with my oncologist today and she told me not to fret that my numbers went up by 7 points, that the numbers can fluctuate and mine are still below the normal for people with cancer. I thought talking to her would ease my mind but I was very sad when I got off the phone as I thought that because my tumor was responding to chemo, my number would be lower instead of slightly elevated. I have read where some doctors don't believe in using cancer marker tests and others do. So...I am a bit blue today but can't let a few numbers get me down.

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck and big hugs!!!
    dawn
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    There was another thread
    There was another thread about this but I can't locate it. Basicly I said I've had three oncs and two did the cancer markers and one didn't. Cancer markers aren't reliable and causes stress like yours so some oncs don't do them on a regular basis. Other factors can cause them to go up.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

There was another thread
    There was another thread about this but I can't locate it. Basicly I said I've had three oncs and two did the cancer markers and one didn't. Cancer markers aren't reliable and causes stress like yours so some oncs don't do them on a regular basis. Other factors can cause them to go up.

That is why my oncologist
    That is why my oncologist doesn't do them either. For the reason Marcia wrote. He said they are unreliable and just cause unneeded stress. But, I guess some still do. And, like she said, other things can affect them.

Good luck to you,Jan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    susie09 said:

Sorry Dawn this is all greek
    Sorry Dawn this is all greek to me!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    jo jo said:

Sorry Dawn this is all greek
    Sorry Dawn this is all greek to me!

Sorry too, it is greek to me
    Sorry too, it is greek to me also. I wish I understood it better though.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Don't know about them.
    All I know about them is that my chemo Doc said there is no reason to do them on me. That they aren't terribly reliable and as I'm IBC, we already know that I'm at a high risk of a return of the Beast somewhere/sometime.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    putzie said:

Thanks Susie...just goes to
    Thanks Susie...just goes to show how different each case and treatment are, huh?
    Good luck to you in your journey!!!!
    dawn

Yes, we all are different.
    Yes, we all are different. Thanks Dawn.

But, I learn so much on here. I think most know more than the doctors. LOL