phantom hair?

Options
heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
does this happen to anyone else? i used to have long red hair, and i think i have adjusted fairly well to being bald. but every now and then, i'll be curled up on the couch reading and i reach up to flip my hair over my shoulder. . . or i will adjust the pillow when i am drifting off to sleep because i feel my hair is tangled in it. am i losing it???

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    not unless we are both
    not unless we are both crazy, I kept wanting to put it in a ponytail to get it off my neck!
    definately phantom hair weird huh?
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    carkris said:

not unless we are both
    not unless we are both crazy, I kept wanting to put it in a ponytail to get it off my neck!
    definately phantom hair weird huh?

I am glad to hear this...I
    I am glad to hear this...I have phantom ponytail episodes all the time.....
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    waffle8 said:

I am glad to hear this...I
    I am glad to hear this...I have phantom ponytail episodes all the time.....

Count me in the Crazy Phantom Hair Club!
    And my hair was already short before chemo! I never realized that I have a nervous habit of messing with my hair -- until I kept reaching up and there was nothing to mess with.

I may be able to do you one better, even -- I think I was at least a month into chemo before I realized that I was still carrying a small hairbrush in my makeup bag, and my blowdryer was still on my bathroom counter!

Traci
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Been there, Done that!
    I still get annoyed when my hubby rolls down the windows in the car because the wind is going to mess my phantom hair up - but just for a second until I realize thereaks nothing to mess up!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Been there, Done that!
    I still get annoyed when my hubby rolls down the windows in the car because the wind is going to mess my phantom hair up - but just for a second until I realize thereaks nothing to mess up!

I did that too!
    I finished chemo in October -- when we started getting the Santa Ana winds, I would put on my hat when I went outside, and think, oh good, at least the hat will keep the wind from...messing...up...my...my...hair...?

Traci
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    I am glad you asked this! I
    I am glad you asked this! I have noticed the same thing esp. when I go to bed at night. I had short hair too, but I have reached up to move my "hair" because it was blowing in my face! At least there are several of us :o) God Bless
    ((((Hugs)))) Janice
  • geobarb22
    geobarb22 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    funny
    that is funny as I still (and I have not had hair for a couple of months) am surprised when I am in the shower and I go to "wash my hair". I try to run my fingers through the hair that is not there!

chemo is over (about 12 days ago) I now have about 1/2 inch long peach fuzz - so anticipating running my fingers through hair soon. (well not too soon! )
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    geobarb22 said:

funny
    that is funny as I still (and I have not had hair for a couple of months) am surprised when I am in the shower and I go to "wash my hair". I try to run my fingers through the hair that is not there!

chemo is over (about 12 days ago) I now have about 1/2 inch long peach fuzz - so anticipating running my fingers through hair soon. (well not too soon! )

Habits, Habits
    You are not crazy just a creature of habit like the rest of us. For about the first month after I lost my hair, after I got out of the shower I went to flip my towel on my head to wrap my hair up in the towel to dry it off. After about a month of that I finally remembered there was no hair to dry off. You will get there.
    Lorrie
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    me too
    I've done everything that everyone has posted! So funny how long it takes to get used to a new habit. Especially the towel on the head one! Now it's great to use one towel instead of two.
    Good luck all will adjust.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

me too
    I've done everything that everyone has posted! So funny how long it takes to get used to a new habit. Especially the towel on the head one! Now it's great to use one towel instead of two.
    Good luck all will adjust.

I use a washcloth LOL !!!!!
    I use a washcloth LOL !!!!! but I'm not sure its just habit because I could feel it! and Traci you are just a positive hopeful person waiting for the hair to come back!!!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I use a washcloth LOL !!!!!
    I use a washcloth LOL !!!!! but I'm not sure its just habit because I could feel it! and Traci you are just a positive hopeful person waiting for the hair to come back!!!!

Thank you for inviting me into the Club ..
    Like Traci .. my chemo finished (except for Herceptin) late December, and I still find myself pulling out round brushes - any my blow dryer after my a.m. shower --It was when I looked into the bathroom mirror, that I remembered that I was bald.

Upside .. I've probably have saved $130.00 every 6 weeks in low-lites, and high-lites, plus all $$$ in beauty products, shampoo's, hair spray - etc. .. so I figure .. a total of about $760.00,thusfar.

Believe me .. my hairless - Sister in Pink .. it takes a while for your hair to grow back!! Beginning of July, and my hair is now 2 inches in most spots to 2 1/4". Your hair will not grow back all at the same time .. At times it will seem like you have a 'brillo pad' in certain areas of your scalp .. Nappy like. I found that using my fingertips while blow drying helps with my nappy curls.

LOL as it never ends with my war on hair.

VickiSam
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Um, phantom nipples
    I don't have phantom hair occurrences, even though I'm bald, but I keep having phantom nipple itches, and I don't have nipples. Hmm.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    That is so funny...3 nights
    That is so funny...3 nights ago i woke up cuz i thought my other half was pulling my hair by laying on it (which he did alot when i had hair) and of course i dont have hair...well very little right now.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Hahaha but
    has anyone conditioned their bald had? After shampoo, you
    condition, if you had hair that is.My head sure was shiny = )

Ayse
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    too funny!
    I never really thought about it, but yes. I did find myself trying to move the hair off of my neck a few times. Noticed but forgot about it.
    What stayed with me was being bothered when I found a hair somewhere...I knew it wasn't MINE! ewww! I still have a hair phobia now, can't stand seeing a stray hair anywhere.
    Cat
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

too funny!
    I never really thought about it, but yes. I did find myself trying to move the hair off of my neck a few times. Noticed but forgot about it.
    What stayed with me was being bothered when I found a hair somewhere...I knew it wasn't MINE! ewww! I still have a hair phobia now, can't stand seeing a stray hair anywhere.
    Cat

Wow .. I can't stand to see any hair around my home ..
    not my children's or husband. Call me werid! I have yet to notice any stray hair from my newly croffied - Lucille Ball's red do.

I do lose eye lashes, and brows on a regular basis ..

VickiSam