Final days of life

b--radley
b--radley Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Liver Cancer #1
My husband was given 3-6 months to live with HCC. No treatments were available for him.
He is taking Lactulos for the ammonia buildup. How will I know when the end is near??
I am so scared.

Comments

• stage4liver
    stage4liver Member Posts: 46
    So sorry to hear! HCC is a
    So sorry to hear! HCC is a tough one. I was diagnosed 4 months ago HCC stage 4 and given around a year. I've since transferred care to Sloan Kettering in NY and they're much more positive. If you havent already get another opinion no matter if its a 2nd, 3rd, 4th. I'm on my 3rd hospital at Sloan. MD Anderson in Houston I hear is really good with advanced late stages as well, Sloan in NY, Cleveland liver something I've heard has a good program, john Hopkins in MD, Northwestern in Chicago, even UW-Madison I found out later has a good program.

Tace or y-90 arent options for him? Keep trying...diet too I went mostly fruit, veggie, whole grain, fish and very lean meats eat all the antioxidant super foods bring them into his diet...also maitake mushroom extract was recommened to me from a dept at sloan....Live, love, fight & survive!! Prayer helps too

Best wishes I know its not easy.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Welcome and so sorry to hear
    Welcome and so sorry to hear of your husband's prognosis. Have you gotten him a second opinion? Is the Lactulos also for preventing constipation? I was a caregiver for my dad. He took the lactulos also. He passed away in March after a 16 month battle with ec which went to his liver in December. I would not give up on your husband just yet. My dad's first dr. gave him 6 mos. The second opinion dr. told him they could treat his cancer and put it into remission. Dad lasted 10 mos. more than the first opinion. Do some research,and find a cancer ctr. that specializes in his cancer. Keep in touch. We will be thinking of you and praying for you.
    Tina