Housecleaning Services for Chemotherapy patients

Options
faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just wanted to share this link...

I wished I had know about it before my chemotherapy.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/

Of course, none of you are invited over until I get the dust bunnies out from under the credenza by the front door and they have been there since Christmas.

Really, take a look and I hope this is helpful for someone.

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    House is not clean yet, but...
    They accept 50 applications a day, starting at 1:00 Central Time, so get on there site a few minutes before one, and hit refresh like your trying to get tickets to a concert. After you fill out a form, they ask you to get them a doctor's note. We have gotten accepted and are waiting for a cleaning service to contact us.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    third cleaning today!
    i tried for five weeks before i got through, but what a blessing it has been. when i took the note to my oncologist for them to sign and fax, the chemo nurses said i was the first person they ever heard of that got through!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    heidijez said:

third cleaning today!
    i tried for five weeks before i got through, but what a blessing it has been. when i took the note to my oncologist for them to sign and fax, the chemo nurses said i was the first person they ever heard of that got through!

Thanks for posting this
    Thanks for posting this link!
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Do they do this for DCIS
    Do they do this for DCIS patients who have had radiation therapy? The exhaustion side effect is one of the worse things I have ever had to deal with.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

Do they do this for DCIS
    Do they do this for DCIS patients who have had radiation therapy? The exhaustion side effect is one of the worse things I have ever had to deal with.

my oncologist had to sign a form
    but i am not sure if it's just chemo or other cancer treatments that apply. it's worth a try, i just had my last cleaning this past week. it was truly a blessing for me.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

my oncologist had to sign a form
    but i am not sure if it's just chemo or other cancer treatments that apply. it's worth a try, i just had my last cleaning this past week. it was truly a blessing for me.

Thank you for posting this website ... I logged on
    and this organization does not service my area.

VickiSam
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Thank you for posting this website ... I logged on
    and this organization does not service my area.

VickiSam

I tried and tried to get this service
    Since they take only a certain amount per day and there is obviously an enormous need, I never was able to get on the list. Then, I tried to be philosophical about it and thought, "well, heck, I can still do a little every day, I don't have small children to take care of, I'm not working right now, and I have the best, most helpful husband in the world--I think there are sisters out there who need this more than I do. And, so what if I have a little dust here and there--too small to sweat over!" Anyway, that was my rationalization.

Hugs, Renee
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

I tried and tried to get this service
    Since they take only a certain amount per day and there is obviously an enormous need, I never was able to get on the list. Then, I tried to be philosophical about it and thought, "well, heck, I can still do a little every day, I don't have small children to take care of, I'm not working right now, and I have the best, most helpful husband in the world--I think there are sisters out there who need this more than I do. And, so what if I have a little dust here and there--too small to sweat over!" Anyway, that was my rationalization.

Hugs, Renee

My mom-in-law was my life
    My mom-in-law was my life saver. She cooked and cleaned.

When all my treatments are over, nearing the end yeah, I plan on asking about becoming part of the housecleaning team. I could not be a nurse or aide, but I can clean. I know my mil was a great help. When you are so tired, and need rest it is a big relief to know someone is there cleaning.
  • Betsy13
    Options
    I went to the website and
    I went to the website and checked anyway for DCIS patients. There is not a service in my area. Thank you for the information. It was worth a shot!
  • Betsy13
    Options

My mom-in-law was my life
    My mom-in-law was my life saver. She cooked and cleaned.

When all my treatments are over, nearing the end yeah, I plan on asking about becoming part of the housecleaning team. I could not be a nurse or aide, but I can clean. I know my mil was a great help. When you are so tired, and need rest it is a big relief to know someone is there cleaning.

How lucky you are to have
    How lucky you are to have that kind of mother-in-law and help! My mil has not even called me :(
    Does your mil travel...to Michigan?
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Yah, this would really help during Chemo!
    I surely could have used this service...I'm sure we ALL could have.

I had to let my dust bunnies go wild...HA! And boy, do bunnies multiply.

Awesome for you to share this :D

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    i applied for that a few
    i applied for that a few weeks back but they contacted me back and told me there isn't a cleaning service in my area that works with them :(
    It is a good service offered, though!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

i applied for that a few
    i applied for that a few weeks back but they contacted me back and told me there isn't a cleaning service in my area that works with them :(
    It is a good service offered, though!

I checked online
    and in CT there is no service for my area. Bummer, my hubby would have appreciated it.
    Char