I feel lied to - my boob shrunk!

Options
Amy23July09
Amy23July09 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The rad onc told me the radiation would firm my boob. But he lied it didn't firm up - I swear it shrunk a whole cup size. Did that happen to anyone else?

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    mine was swollen
    and I actually liked its size except for the fact it was way bigger than the other one. And higher and perkier from the lumpectomy -- the two together actually looked ridiculous when I put on my tight tank top jammies. My husband and I just laughed.

Now, three weeks after rads, it's kinda shrinking back to normal. As long as I look okay when dressed, I don't much care. They were never big to begin with.

Victoria
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Me, too
    Hi, Amy -

I had radiation to both breasts, so at least I'm even -- after radiation, when I went back to wearing bras, nothing fit, so I waited awhile to see if anything would change, and finally went to Lane Bryant for a bra fitting. Yup, I'm now down 1/2 a cup size, smack in between two sizes. I'm 6 months out from radiation, so I think this is the new normal for me and my girls.

The fitter at Lane Bryant was able to recommend some really good bras, and get me in the right band size, too, so (at least in clothes) the girls are looking quite good now.

Traci
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    aisling8 said:

mine was swollen
    and I actually liked its size except for the fact it was way bigger than the other one. And higher and perkier from the lumpectomy -- the two together actually looked ridiculous when I put on my tight tank top jammies. My husband and I just laughed.

Now, three weeks after rads, it's kinda shrinking back to normal. As long as I look okay when dressed, I don't much care. They were never big to begin with.

Victoria

Mine got bigger. It is
    Mine got bigger. It is starting to get back to normal now, so, I have a perfect matched set again. :)

I think it can go either way with rads, some shrink, some swell like mine and some don't.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Tuff
    My left breast was tuff as leather, and of course it was smaller after the lumpectomy and still is. Lefty is back to normal, except for the divit, smaller than Righty. Righty could use some work to bring it up to match Lefty. It took time for everything to get back to some sort of normal.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Yes, my right breast shrunk
    Yes, my right breast shrunk just a tad. I had a lumpectomy, two in fact. Apart from the Cooper Tone tan, there isn't much of a difference between the sisters. I don't feel the need to undergo plastic surgery as the change is rather subtle. Good luck to you on your journey.
    BL
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

Yes, my right breast shrunk
    Yes, my right breast shrunk just a tad. I had a lumpectomy, two in fact. Apart from the Cooper Tone tan, there isn't much of a difference between the sisters. I don't feel the need to undergo plastic surgery as the change is rather subtle. Good luck to you on your journey.
    BL

If you had a lumpectomy

If you had a lumpectomy followed by the radiation, the reduction in size may be a result of the lumpectomy. You may not have noticed it at first because of swelling.

Mine were fine after my lumpectomy and radiation for several years, but then I started seeing a difference: the one that had been treated didn't sag like the other one. Then, I had another excissional biopsy on the same breast nine years later. The surgeon mentioned that she took quite a bit of tissue, but I thought that it was still about the same size until a couple months later when the swelling went down. Then, there was a dramatic change in the size, due to the biopsy/lumpectomy.

Joyce