Lymphadema

Options
angel23
angel23 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I finished rads Friday, got my graduation from chemo before that, and I made it just with a lick of lymphadema in my left arm/hand... I have done physical therapy for it throughout radiation, and have a compression sleeve ( Pink) that I wear every day and wrap it with a Germanic wrap at night.. ( frustrating) . I guess this is a life long issue... Anyone have any suggestions being a nurse and how to deal with a compression sleeve at work?? Thanks for all your support through out this adventure!

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    lymphedema
    Dear Angel23,

I haven't had to deal with lymphedema. My mom was a nurse, though, and developed it b/c of the heavy lifting. You may want to check out breastcancer.org because I've seen several threads on there dealing only with lymphedema. Here is a link: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64

Best of luck to you,
    dh
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

lymphedema
    Dear Angel23,

I haven't had to deal with lymphedema. My mom was a nurse, though, and developed it b/c of the heavy lifting. You may want to check out breastcancer.org because I've seen several threads on there dealing only with lymphedema. Here is a link: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/64

Best of luck to you,
    dh

Hi angel! I don't have
    Hi angel! I don't have lymphedema, so, I consider myself lucky. So many on here have though and I am sure will post for you. Good luck!
  • angel23
    Options
    Megan M said:

Hi angel! I don't have
    Hi angel! I don't have lymphedema, so, I consider myself lucky. So many on here have though and I am sure will post for you. Good luck!

Lymphadema
    Thanks for your good thoughts, I was hoping to have feedback as to what others have done at their jobs and day to day living with this situation.
  • angel23
    Options

lymphedema
    Dear Angel23,

Best of luck to you,
    dh

Lymphadema
    It seems that heavy lifting does make my hand/arm swell more...Thanks for the link!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    angel23 said:

Lymphadema
    Thanks for your good thoughts, I was hoping to have feedback as to what others have done at their jobs and day to day living with this situation.

Lymphadema
    I did developed lymphadema on my left arm (by the way I'm left handed) so it was not easy. I did seek therapy and it did help alot. Now that Im done with the chemo taxotere and carbon the swelling has gone down to almost normal. I work in an office all day so lifting was not an issue, but I think that continuing a daily routine also helps keep the swelling down. Keep using your arm as much as you can without the heavy lifting.
  • faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
    Options
    angel23 said:

Lymphadema
    It seems that heavy lifting does make my hand/arm swell more...Thanks for the link!

I had just noticed the slight swelling to my arm...
    when a third grader declared, "Teacher, your hand is swollen!"

My affected arm is also my dominate hand. I have the compression sleeve and have learned the exercises, sleeping with my arm over my head is no problem. But my insurance...oy vey.

I worked years ago with a woman at the post office that developed lymphedema in both arms and she was a slight thing. She wore compression sleeves on both arms and cased her mail, carried her route, but did have assistance with the lifting. She eventually moved to some lighter duty job, but now she's retired still wearing her sleeves and active in the community.

I think of Lucille when I slip on my sleeve daily and know that without courageous women like her this would be a much different experience for me.

Best wishes
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I had just noticed the slight swelling to my arm...
    when a third grader declared, "Teacher, your hand is swollen!"

My affected arm is also my dominate hand. I have the compression sleeve and have learned the exercises, sleeping with my arm over my head is no problem. But my insurance...oy vey.

I worked years ago with a woman at the post office that developed lymphedema in both arms and she was a slight thing. She wore compression sleeves on both arms and cased her mail, carried her route, but did have assistance with the lifting. She eventually moved to some lighter duty job, but now she's retired still wearing her sleeves and active in the community.

I think of Lucille when I slip on my sleeve daily and know that without courageous women like her this would be a much different experience for me.

Best wishes

Hey Angel! There are
    Hey Angel! There are several on here that have lymphedema and I am sure you will hear from them. Many have written that PT does really help. Wishing you the best!

Hugs, Jan
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I also have LE
    I completed my rads just over two weeks ago.The swelling in my left arm has improved but remains in a milder form. I have an appt with the PT for evaluation on July 9th. I have been using the arm normally but avoid heavy lifting and pulling. It swells when I do either of thesea activities or repetitive movements. I am hoping to finally get a few days away in August or the end of July; I will probably need a compression sleeve before I do any traveling by plane.I have been advised to drop weight so I am hoping to return to weight training to help with the weight loss. I am anxiously awaiting my PT session to discuss this. I already have bilateral carpal tunnel in both arms (I retired from nursing after 20+ years and became a therapist over ten years ago.)
    There are many informative websites on Lymphadema and I have been reading the recent research done in this area. Unfortunately, there are not many answers to why this occurs. I am elevating my arm when I get home and trying to avoid sunburn, insect bites etc to that arm/hand.
    I'd be glad to share anything I learn from my physical therapist that might be helpful.
    Hugs, K