Rads and swimming pool chlorine.

Options
jamiegww
jamiegww Member Posts: 384
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I figured if I want to know the truth I should just consult those of you who have "been there done that".

I had just finished my 8th rad treatment when I mentioned that I was looking forward to floating in my pool which is above ground and only 30 inches deep. I was suddenly referred to the nurse who then dragged the doctor out to talk to me. He said he couldn't recommend exposing my radiated skin to chlorine. The nurse later told me "under her breath" that if I showered immediately after and used lots of lotion that it might be okay. Have any of you had problems from swimming in a chlorinated pool during rads?

Thanks!

Jamie

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy, Jamie--something else to worry about!
    Hi, Jamie. I just finished my first week of rads. I live in Phoenix, so the pool is an every day thing for us. My rad. onc. never said anything to me about it. Now when I see him tomorrow--that's another question for my list! I can't help you with an answer, but thanks for bringing it up for me.

Hugs, Renee
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    my rad onc's advice
    I finished my rads on 6/11. When I mentioned I was looking forward to getting into a pool in a few weeks, my Rad-onc gave his blessing and said it would be good exercise.He noted that this advice was based on putting a few weeks to heal from rads, between my completion of rads and my getting into the pool. The nurse strongly suggested that I rinse off well immediately after getting out of the pool. She advised, as your nurse did, to use plenty of the creams and ointments on the radiated area and of course, use of sunscreen.
    I am still planning for some pool time in August. My skin is no longer red and I am still peeling near the area of the incision, the area of the boosts.
    Hope you will be enjoying the pool soon.
    Hugs,K
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    KayNYC said:

my rad onc's advice
    I finished my rads on 6/11. When I mentioned I was looking forward to getting into a pool in a few weeks, my Rad-onc gave his blessing and said it would be good exercise.He noted that this advice was based on putting a few weeks to heal from rads, between my completion of rads and my getting into the pool. The nurse strongly suggested that I rinse off well immediately after getting out of the pool. She advised, as your nurse did, to use plenty of the creams and ointments on the radiated area and of course, use of sunscreen.
    I am still planning for some pool time in August. My skin is no longer red and I am still peeling near the area of the incision, the area of the boosts.
    Hope you will be enjoying the pool soon.
    Hugs,K

When I had radiation, my
    When I had radiation, my rads oncologist said no to swimming in a pool during rads. He didn't want my skin exposed to chemicals while I was getting radiation, which made sense to me. I didn't either. Do what your own rads oncologist says. Be careful with your skin.

Good luck!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Alexis F said:

When I had radiation, my
    When I had radiation, my rads oncologist said no to swimming in a pool during rads. He didn't want my skin exposed to chemicals while I was getting radiation, which made sense to me. I didn't either. Do what your own rads oncologist says. Be careful with your skin.

Good luck!

no swimming during radiation
    I was told. Wait when you finish, if your skin will be ok you can still swim in August.
    Good luck
  • faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
    Options

no swimming during radiation
    I was told. Wait when you finish, if your skin will be ok you can still swim in August.
    Good luck

I, too, was told no swimming in the pool...
    that along with no fragrant soaps nor Voodoo type concoctions that might be recommended by well-meaning old wives.

I was so looking forward to skinny dipping in the moonlight. I have a theory that I will be swimming in circles due to the new weight distribution.

I'll let you know.
  • Amy23July09
    Amy23July09 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I was told not to go
    I was told not to go swimming - then just like you I was told it was okay as long as I rinsed quickly and applied the cream. But I decided to not take the chance of irritating my skin anymore than needed. I managed to only have a little bit of peeling underneath where the underwire rubbed.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    No to the pool
    I was told by my onc that I could not go in the pool during rads. I was not happy with the idea since I so enjoy doing water aerobics. I can't wait to get back when rads are done.

Hugs
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    My Rads doc. said yes to
    My Rads doc. said yes to swimming..As long as my incision was covered and used sunscreen...I said I do not usually swim topless....
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    waffle8 said:

My Rads doc. said yes to
    My Rads doc. said yes to swimming..As long as my incision was covered and used sunscreen...I said I do not usually swim topless....

Mine said no to swimming and
    Mine said no to swimming and being in the sun, so while everyone was having fun in the pool I was sidelined in the shade-bored.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    ladyg said:

No to the pool
    I was told by my onc that I could not go in the pool during rads. I was not happy with the idea since I so enjoy doing water aerobics. I can't wait to get back when rads are done.

Hugs

I was also told no swimming
    I was also told no swimming in the pool and no exposure to the sun. I was definitely not happy about it, but, I knew my radiation oncologist knew what he was talking about. I am a sun worshiper and love to swim, but, took his advice. You should take your own rads oncologist's advice as he is the doctor.

Good luck!

♥ Noel
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Mine said no to swimming and
    Mine said no to swimming and being in the sun, so while everyone was having fun in the pool I was sidelined in the shade-bored.

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no sun and no swimming. But, as we always say, do what yours says to do. Have a good summer!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no sun and no swimming. But, as we always say, do what yours says to do. Have a good summer!

I never asked during, but I
    I never asked during, but I finished in early May. I asked about after and they said to use creams because your skin gets dried out. havent tried it yet.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Looks Like Every Rad. Onc. Has His/Her Own Opinion
    Just as everyone's different, every doc seems to have different opinions. I asked mine yesterday and he said the pool was fine (yippee 'cause I live in HOT, HOT Phoenix), but not to get direct sun on the area. I am only into week 2 of rads. but he said as I continue, if I do get blistering or peeling, it's best to stay out of the pool to reduce the chance of any infection since even the properly chlorinated pool has its fair share of bacteria floating around. Good luck to you. Hugs, Renee
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Looks Like Every Rad. Onc. Has His/Her Own Opinion
    Just as everyone's different, every doc seems to have different opinions. I asked mine yesterday and he said the pool was fine (yippee 'cause I live in HOT, HOT Phoenix), but not to get direct sun on the area. I am only into week 2 of rads. but he said as I continue, if I do get blistering or peeling, it's best to stay out of the pool to reduce the chance of any infection since even the properly chlorinated pool has its fair share of bacteria floating around. Good luck to you. Hugs, Renee

My rads oncologist also said
    My rads oncologist also said no to swimming in a chlorinated pool. But, that is just his opinion and I followed it. He didn't want my radiated skin exposed to the chemicals that they have to put in the pools and also because of any bacteria that might be floating around. I also had to stay out of the sun or at least use a strong sunscreen. Your skin is already going thru so much that you just have to be careful with it.

Follow your own rads oncologist's advice and make sure he checks your skin at the least, once a week.

Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

My rads oncologist also said
    My rads oncologist also said no to swimming in a chlorinated pool. But, that is just his opinion and I followed it. He didn't want my radiated skin exposed to the chemicals that they have to put in the pools and also because of any bacteria that might be floating around. I also had to stay out of the sun or at least use a strong sunscreen. Your skin is already going thru so much that you just have to be careful with it.

Follow your own rads oncologist's advice and make sure he checks your skin at the least, once a week.

Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥

I also was told no swimming
    I also was told no swimming in a chlorinated pool until a few weeks after my rads were done.

Hugs, Leeza
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys.
    It's nice to know what other rad oncs are recommending. If my onc had put "no chlorine pools" in his info packet, I wouldn't have bought the pool but he didn't and I did so I am floating mostly on weekends. I shower immediately after and use lots of lotion. I have had 13 rad treatments so far and am doing well. If I start having problems, I will definitely stop getting in the pool but for now it is too relaxing to give it up. I find that it also helps me sleep much better at night for some reason. I really do appreciate everyone's advice and I promise that if I have any skin reaction caused by the chlorine I will let you all know so maybe I can spare someone else that experience.

Hugs!
    Jamie