Do you ever have just one of those days?

Options
2»

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Thats why i love this site
    Thats why i love this site cuz everyone can relate to what im going thru...emotionally, spiritually and physically!!
    and your right Rhonda somedays are gonna sux no matter what we do.
    Sorry your going thru chemo right now...i feel for ya and pray its a mild one for ya!

Hoping you feel better soon
    Hoping you feel better soon JoJo! Yes, Rhonda is right, some days are gonna suc no matter what, even if we aren't battling bc. Try to relax and enjoy your family, your friends, get your mind off of bc and the treatments for awhile if you can.

Do some fun things! It is good therapy!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Hoping you feel better soon
    Hoping you feel better soon JoJo! Yes, Rhonda is right, some days are gonna suc no matter what, even if we aren't battling bc. Try to relax and enjoy your family, your friends, get your mind off of bc and the treatments for awhile if you can.

Do some fun things! It is good therapy!

One day at a time
    Well now, isn't that an original statement? Geez . . .

I hope you've worked through your meltdown now and have found the tools and support you need to carry on with this battle we're all facing. My best wishes, prayers, and encouragement.

Suzanne
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options
    one of those days
    I am having "one of those days" today. I'm a week out of my first taxotere/cytoxan treatment. Had a bad day on day four but otherwise not bad till today. Diarrhea set in this morning. Also some mouth sores starting and neuropathy in right foot, not to mention insomnia. Saw onco today and my bloodcount is already down. Onco is not a warm fuzzy so no support there. Came home and had a complete meltdown. So... I completely understand meltdown. Tomorrow will be a better day for us.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Kimosabe said:

one of those days
    I am having "one of those days" today. I'm a week out of my first taxotere/cytoxan treatment. Had a bad day on day four but otherwise not bad till today. Diarrhea set in this morning. Also some mouth sores starting and neuropathy in right foot, not to mention insomnia. Saw onco today and my bloodcount is already down. Onco is not a warm fuzzy so no support there. Came home and had a complete meltdown. So... I completely understand meltdown. Tomorrow will be a better day for us.

they told me to take B6 for
    they told me to take B6 for neuropathy, I wish I had taken it while it was advancing. I had the big D too. it did stop after chemo.
    JoJO I agree with Greg, they could still do it while you are asleep, the docs just have to coordinate it. I had chest and butt surgery under the same anesthesia. Then you wouldnt have to be even a "little" awake.
    Yes I am having a bad day over nothing. Sometimes its the stupidist things that set me off
    I know its the straw that breaks the camels back. Sometimes I am afraid to cry about the cancer as I think I might not stop!!
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    carkris said:

they told me to take B6 for
    they told me to take B6 for neuropathy, I wish I had taken it while it was advancing. I had the big D too. it did stop after chemo.
    JoJO I agree with Greg, they could still do it while you are asleep, the docs just have to coordinate it. I had chest and butt surgery under the same anesthesia. Then you wouldnt have to be even a "little" awake.
    Yes I am having a bad day over nothing. Sometimes its the stupidist things that set me off
    I know its the straw that breaks the camels back. Sometimes I am afraid to cry about the cancer as I think I might not stop!!

JoJo I am praying for you and Sylvia, Love the peom
    JoJo I am praying for you but I would be a little apprehensive about them doing the implants before checking on that lump. Did you question them about that at all??

Thanks Sylvia....I love the poem...that was awesome. God bless.
    Lorrie
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Balentine said:

JoJo I am praying for you and Sylvia, Love the peom
    JoJo I am praying for you but I would be a little apprehensive about them doing the implants before checking on that lump. Did you question them about that at all??

Thanks Sylvia....I love the poem...that was awesome. God bless.
    Lorrie

Lorrie im going to my new
    Lorrie im going to my new oncologist on the 8th and my surgery isnt till the 14th so i will ask about having it done at the same time or what she thinks about it, if i should continue on with the surgery!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You hang in there, and yes
    You hang in there, and yes it is maddening. You think you are doing everything right, and then out of left field wham.
    Why do the drs think there is something wrong with your heart? Asking because my heart just doesn't feel right.
  • HeartofSoul
    HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
    Options

You hang in there, and yes
    You hang in there, and yes it is maddening. You think you are doing everything right, and then out of left field wham.
    Why do the drs think there is something wrong with your heart? Asking because my heart just doesn't feel right.

Heart damage
    http://www.acsevents.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4X_What_Are_The_Side_Effects_of_Chemotherapy.asp

Certain chemotherapy drugs can damage the heart. The most common ones are the anthracyclines, such as daunorubicin and doxorubicin, but other drugs may cause heart damage, too. This occurs in about 1 in 10 people who receive these drugs and usually involves damage to the heart muscles.

If the heart is damaged by chemotherapy, it may not be able to pump blood through the body as well as it did before treatment. This can lead to fluid build-up and other problems known as congestive heart failure.

You may feel these symptoms:

puffiness or swelling in the hands and feet (fluid retention)
    shortness of breath that gets worse with exercise or lying flat
    dizziness
    erratic heartbeat
    dry cough
    If you have had previous radiation to the mid-chest area, pre-existing heart problems, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or if you are a smoker, you will be at higher risk for heart damage.

Often, before the doctor starts chemotherapy with a drug that can cause heart damage, he or she will check your heart function to make sure that there are no major problems. Your heart function will also be checked during treatment to ensure that no changes have occurred. Tests such as an electrocardiogram (EKG), an echocardiogram, or a MUGA scan are done to check for any changes in heart function. An electrocardiogram records the heart's electrical impulses, while an echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart. With a MUGA scan, you are given a radioactive substance that a special scanner traces through your heart to tell how well your heart is pumping.

If problems develop, the chemotherapy drug will be stopped to prevent further permanent damage. Tell your doctor or nurse right away if you notice changes in your heart rhythm, shortness of breath, weight gain, or fluid retention.

Can chemotherapy increase the risk of heart disease?

Answer
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chemotherapy-side-effects/an01407

from Timothy Moynihan, M.D.
    Some chemotherapy drugs may increase the risk of heart disease, especially weakness of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy). Certain types of chemotherapy also increase the risk of heart attack, especially during infusion of the medication. Fortunately, heart disease associated with chemotherapy is relatively rare — and not all chemotherapy drugs carry the potential side effect of heart damage.

It's important to note that some newer anti-cancer treatments — such as trastuzumab (Herceptin) for breast cancer — may cause heart damage as well, although the effect is often reversible.

If your doctor is considering using a chemotherapy drug that may affect your heart, he or she may test your heart function before starting treatment. During treatment, you may need periodic heart monitoring as well. If you have a pre-existing heart condition, such as cardiomyopathy, your doctor may suggest a different type of chemotherapy.

Generally, the risk of heart disease associated with certain chemotherapy drugs increases with the total lifetime amount of the drug you receive. To minimize the risk of heart damage, your doctor will carefully monitor the amount of each type of chemotherapy drug you receive. If you experience chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack during chemotherapy, report it immediately to your health care team.

In addition, some cancers require radiation therapy. If the area of your body receiving radiation includes your heart, you have an increased risk of cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease and heart attack. The combination of radiation and chemotherapy can further increase your risk of heart damage. However, your doctor can take steps to reduce these risks as much as possible
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    ack! Doesn't it usually go
    ack! Doesn't it usually go that way, when the crap flies, it really FLIES..so sorry it's all hitting you at once. I haven't been on here in a couple of days but I hope you're doing a little better now. You do have a great attitude, and I try to be the same way with taking whatever comes to me but sometimes it can be so overwhelming. Venting helps!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

So sorry been there my self
    Sometimes it all gets overwhelming and to much to handle . I have had them meltdowns myself. Cant help it just happens.. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Go ahead and cry. {{{{{HUGS }}}}}} Take care Kay

Fighting bc does get
    Fighting bc does get overwhelming. It seems we have the never ending tests and then comes the waiting. Know that I am praying for you and sending you a big cyber hug!

Jan
  • jo jo
    Options

Heart damage
    http://www.acsevents.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4X_What_Are_The_Side_Effects_of_Chemotherapy.asp

Certain chemotherapy drugs can damage the heart. The most common ones are the anthracyclines, such as daunorubicin and doxorubicin, but other drugs may cause heart damage, too. This occurs in about 1 in 10 people who receive these drugs and usually involves damage to the heart muscles.

If the heart is damaged by chemotherapy, it may not be able to pump blood through the body as well as it did before treatment. This can lead to fluid build-up and other problems known as congestive heart failure.

You may feel these symptoms:

puffiness or swelling in the hands and feet (fluid retention)
    shortness of breath that gets worse with exercise or lying flat
    dizziness
    erratic heartbeat
    dry cough
    If you have had previous radiation to the mid-chest area, pre-existing heart problems, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or if you are a smoker, you will be at higher risk for heart damage.

Often, before the doctor starts chemotherapy with a drug that can cause heart damage, he or she will check your heart function to make sure that there are no major problems. Your heart function will also be checked during treatment to ensure that no changes have occurred. Tests such as an electrocardiogram (EKG), an echocardiogram, or a MUGA scan are done to check for any changes in heart function. An electrocardiogram records the heart's electrical impulses, while an echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart. With a MUGA scan, you are given a radioactive substance that a special scanner traces through your heart to tell how well your heart is pumping.

If problems develop, the chemotherapy drug will be stopped to prevent further permanent damage. Tell your doctor or nurse right away if you notice changes in your heart rhythm, shortness of breath, weight gain, or fluid retention.

Can chemotherapy increase the risk of heart disease?

Answer
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chemotherapy-side-effects/an01407

from Timothy Moynihan, M.D.
    Some chemotherapy drugs may increase the risk of heart disease, especially weakness of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy). Certain types of chemotherapy also increase the risk of heart attack, especially during infusion of the medication. Fortunately, heart disease associated with chemotherapy is relatively rare — and not all chemotherapy drugs carry the potential side effect of heart damage.

It's important to note that some newer anti-cancer treatments — such as trastuzumab (Herceptin) for breast cancer — may cause heart damage as well, although the effect is often reversible.

If your doctor is considering using a chemotherapy drug that may affect your heart, he or she may test your heart function before starting treatment. During treatment, you may need periodic heart monitoring as well. If you have a pre-existing heart condition, such as cardiomyopathy, your doctor may suggest a different type of chemotherapy.

Generally, the risk of heart disease associated with certain chemotherapy drugs increases with the total lifetime amount of the drug you receive. To minimize the risk of heart damage, your doctor will carefully monitor the amount of each type of chemotherapy drug you receive. If you experience chest pain or other symptoms of a heart attack during chemotherapy, report it immediately to your health care team.

In addition, some cancers require radiation therapy. If the area of your body receiving radiation includes your heart, you have an increased risk of cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease and heart attack. The combination of radiation and chemotherapy can further increase your risk of heart damage. However, your doctor can take steps to reduce these risks as much as possible

The heart thing...
    I had a MUGA scan and they found that my heart was filling with blood like it was suppose to but it only emptied half way and its suppose to almost completely empty.
    I told my onc that right after each chemo treatment my heart would race really fast while i was just sitting or layin there. Like it was going to beat right out of my chest. They never checked my heart during chemo or listened to it or anything. Last week i just happened to tell my family doctor about it and now i have to have an echocariogram on thursday.
    Steve i was on taxotere and those 5 symptoms you listed...i have them all..ugghhh!
    Oh well, just another stumbling block...but hey im still alive!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Was the condition of your heart because of the Chemo?
    I know that when I was going through the Chemo, I had several Echocardiograms (not sure if that's the correct spelling) to monitor my heart.

I saw the Cardiologist again about 2 years later because my heart palpitations were off the chart. But again, showed nothing.

I still have the palpitations and I attribute that to the Tamoxifen but you know what? Who KNOWS where it's coming from????

It's my new normal I guess...

Hang in there and let me know what happens.

Praying for you,
    Sylvia
  • jo jo
    Options
    sea60 said:

Was the condition of your heart because of the Chemo?
    I know that when I was going through the Chemo, I had several Echocardiograms (not sure if that's the correct spelling) to monitor my heart.

I saw the Cardiologist again about 2 years later because my heart palpitations were off the chart. But again, showed nothing.

I still have the palpitations and I attribute that to the Tamoxifen but you know what? Who KNOWS where it's coming from????

It's my new normal I guess...

Hang in there and let me know what happens.

Praying for you,
    Sylvia

Sylvia im really not sure
    Sylvia im really not sure but i will know more hopefully thursday or friday when i get my results back from the echocariogram that im doin on thursday. But i was never tested during chemo.
    It seems im going to be having alot of normals after chemo!!!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Were here for you Jo Jo,
    Were here for you Jo Jo, emotioanlly, spiritually, and as mentors. No one walks alone, we walk beside you.

"Were There to Walk Beside You"

People will open their arms to support you
    and to listen to your point of view

At first you may feel shy
    so we say take a big sigh
    and the time for a healthy cry

Do not feel alone
    as each one of us
    will show you how its done

Today may be hard
    and the world so unfair
    as your body may seems on guard