Some good news

starseed
starseed Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Went to the oncologist yesterday--probably ready for a fight since my BP was 181/112, but
after he went through all my records etc..and armed with my oncoDX--NO CHEMO FOR ME!! I nearly started floating!! I have like 30-32 burn sessions starting probably after July 4 and he put me on "Arimidex" instead of Tamoxifen. He called for a bone density scan,said
that one of the side effects of the arimidex are bone issues.So I'll be increasing my strength exercises, plus Frank and I are on a mission to each lose 10 lbs over the next 6 weeks which is when I go see him again. Doc asked me about my BP and I said it was "white coat syndrome"--and he's like not with numbers like that so we have a very accurate cuff at home to keep track. I told him--honest it will go down when I leave here..especially with a pulse of 68. I took a small saying out of a book I'm reading called "The Divine Doctor". The original used the word God, but I'm more comfortable with using Spirit..I have this taped at my computer so I can repeat it.
"Every day in every way I am getting better and better,Spirit and me, me and Spirit are one"
As I said before--I've been very fortunate on the journey so far.
I did ask the oncologist if they have a nutritionist on staff to work with people to help them make dietary/lifestyle changes since more and more evidence is coming out about it and
he said--sadly no. They can't keep funding for one and the powers that be(I won't even go into who I think THAT is)apparently don't think there is a need. Swell.

At any rate--I wanted to share my good news. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Great news all around
    Dear Starseed,
    I am so happy to share in your good news and progress . I started the Arimidex last night. Completed my Rads on 6/11 and had the DEXA (bone density) as well as blood work to check on my Cholesterol and Metabolic profile before beginning the hormone receptor blocker. I am participating in a Komen study that provides a visit with the Nutritionist and with the NP every three mos. I met with them yesterday. I discussed the controversy over eating soy products, use of Flaxseed and taking Vitamin E if our C was hormone receptor positive. She also suggested I start Coenzyme10 and B-complex vitamins. I have already started to increase my daily activity and will wait to discuss with PT whether I can use weights with the lymphyedema in my arm. I have 25 lbs to drop. So far the BP is fine and I am awaiting my cholesterol results.
    Wishing you all the best on your journey.
    Hugs, K
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Starseed -
    Not having to have chemo is GREAT news - congratulations! I did have to go through chemo but finished mine and will be starting rads on July 7th or 8th for 33 sessions so we'll be on about the same schedule. My onc just put me on Arimidex also since it is going generic in a couple of days - I like generic (as does my insurance company) so hopefully I can tolerate it without too many problems. I also had the bone density which was good.

My oncologist is also big into Vitamin D. They checked mine and it was low (which is apparently pretty common in the general population and even more so after chemo)so I am on a prescription D for 12 weeks and then they want to keep me on an over the counter dose. My oncologist said that there is recent evidence that Vit D plays a role in preventing recurrences so I am more than happy to take that (plus all my aches/pains/and neuropathy got better after I started the prescription stuff).

Congrats again!!

Chris
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

Starseed -
    Not having to have chemo is GREAT news - congratulations! I did have to go through chemo but finished mine and will be starting rads on July 7th or 8th for 33 sessions so we'll be on about the same schedule. My onc just put me on Arimidex also since it is going generic in a couple of days - I like generic (as does my insurance company) so hopefully I can tolerate it without too many problems. I also had the bone density which was good.

My oncologist is also big into Vitamin D. They checked mine and it was low (which is apparently pretty common in the general population and even more so after chemo)so I am on a prescription D for 12 weeks and then they want to keep me on an over the counter dose. My oncologist said that there is recent evidence that Vit D plays a role in preventing recurrences so I am more than happy to take that (plus all my aches/pains/and neuropathy got better after I started the prescription stuff).

Congrats again!!

Chris

Are you post-menopausal
    STarseed,
    Are you post-menopausal?
    Lorrie
  • starseed
    Balentine said:

Are you post-menopausal
    STarseed,
    Are you post-menopausal?
    Lorrie

Yes
    Actually--which time? Went through menopause first at 39. OB/GYN at the time put me back on
    BC pills even though I'd had a tubal ligation--was worried about my bones. Then around 1999
    a different OB/GYN put me on plant derived HRT and I just quit taking that around 2004..which was my last mammogram prior to this year.
  • starseed

Starseed -

Congrats again!!

Chris

D3
    My current GYN put me on those mega doses also. She did some blood work and her bogey was 31. My reading was 19. I also take a natural vit D...got it at the health food store because I wanted to make sure I bought the right kind. You want the :

CholecalciferolVitamin D3. Cholecalciferol is the naturally occurring form of vitamin D. It is a prehormone that is synthesized naturally in the skin by ultraviolet B irradiation of 7-dehydrocholesterol. Cholecalciferol is real vitamin D. All other compounds are either metabolic products or chemical modifications.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    KayNYC said:

Great news all around
    Dear Starseed,
    I am so happy to share in your good news and progress . I started the Arimidex last night. Completed my Rads on 6/11 and had the DEXA (bone density) as well as blood work to check on my Cholesterol and Metabolic profile before beginning the hormone receptor blocker. I am participating in a Komen study that provides a visit with the Nutritionist and with the NP every three mos. I met with them yesterday. I discussed the controversy over eating soy products, use of Flaxseed and taking Vitamin E if our C was hormone receptor positive. She also suggested I start Coenzyme10 and B-complex vitamins. I have already started to increase my daily activity and will wait to discuss with PT whether I can use weights with the lymphyedema in my arm. I have 25 lbs to drop. So far the BP is fine and I am awaiting my cholesterol results.
    Wishing you all the best on your journey.
    Hugs, K

Good news! Thanks for
    Good news! Thanks for telling us!

Hugs, Leeza
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Balentine said:

Are you post-menopausal
    STarseed,
    Are you post-menopausal?
    Lorrie

Wonderful news! No
    Wonderful news! No chemo!

Hugs, Diane
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    starseed said:

D3
    My current GYN put me on those mega doses also. She did some blood work and her bogey was 31. My reading was 19. I also take a natural vit D...got it at the health food store because I wanted to make sure I bought the right kind. You want the :

CholecalciferolVitamin D3. Cholecalciferol is the naturally occurring form of vitamin D. It is a prehormone that is synthesized naturally in the skin by ultraviolet B irradiation of 7-dehydrocholesterol. Cholecalciferol is real vitamin D. All other compounds are either metabolic products or chemical modifications.

Really great news for you starseed! So very happy to read this!

♥ Noel
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Noel said:

Really great news for you starseed! So very happy to read this!

♥ Noel

I would say this is good
    I would say this is good news! NO chemo! Very glad for you!

Hugs, Debby