Just diagnosed with Breast Cancer...Going Crazy...lol

Options
2»

Comments

• anitap1
    anitap1 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome
    I am a newbie, too, but I have been accepted very well. You will be, too. You were asking advice. When I found out that I had BC, I called my friend in Florida. She called our friend in Arkansas. The friend in Arkansas had a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemo in '02. (We were the three musketeers in HS years ago.) She and her husband got in their car and drove 8 hours to see me. She will never know what that meant to me. She said she had a good group of supporters when she had it and wanted to move it to me. Her best advice - take someone with you to every appointment. Have that person take notes. The doctor is throwing so much information at you, and you are so emotionally involved, that you can't always remember everything. Cry when you want to cry. You are so young. I had cervical cancer at 27 and had a hysterectomy, but we already had the children that we wanted. Once I passed the five years, I didn't think about it. Fortunately, I have kept up with the mammograms, so my BC was caught early. Good luck and I hope your surgery is successful. I had the bilateral mastectomy and have done beautifully. I still have the drains, but I hope to get them out this week. This group is fabulous. I have learned so much in the few days I have been online here.
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
    Options
    sea60 said:

We're all here for you
    To share stories, faith, information, support, understanding, funny stories, love, hope and care.

Blessings and peace to you...

Sylvia

Life shows up,with NO notificatication...I must adjust...
    Thank You
  • sohardbnme
    Options
    anitap1 said:

Welcome
    I am a newbie, too, but I have been accepted very well. You will be, too. You were asking advice. When I found out that I had BC, I called my friend in Florida. She called our friend in Arkansas. The friend in Arkansas had a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemo in '02. (We were the three musketeers in HS years ago.) She and her husband got in their car and drove 8 hours to see me. She will never know what that meant to me. She said she had a good group of supporters when she had it and wanted to move it to me. Her best advice - take someone with you to every appointment. Have that person take notes. The doctor is throwing so much information at you, and you are so emotionally involved, that you can't always remember everything. Cry when you want to cry. You are so young. I had cervical cancer at 27 and had a hysterectomy, but we already had the children that we wanted. Once I passed the five years, I didn't think about it. Fortunately, I have kept up with the mammograms, so my BC was caught early. Good luck and I hope your surgery is successful. I had the bilateral mastectomy and have done beautifully. I still have the drains, but I hope to get them out this week. This group is fabulous. I have learned so much in the few days I have been online here.

I am at a lost for words...
    I need support... I have alot to say...but cannot write at this time...(teary eyed)
    Life shows up,with NO notificatication...I must adjust...
  • sohardbnme
    Options
    anitap1 said:

Welcome

I need support... I have alot to say...but cannot write at this time...(teary eyed)
    Life shows up,with NO notification...I must adjust...
  • sohardbnme
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Yes, this is very hard and it's
    just as scary whether you're 37 or 67. You're job now is to educate yourself on bc. Google is great, my fav is Mayo Clinic websites because they are precise and give all info on what needs to be done and how it is done. You need to have this info before you speak with your surgeon so you know what he/she is saying etc. Yes, you really do need a surgeon who is a breast surgeon.

As to the Oncotype testing that is only for hormone fed cancers, if you are a triple neg. you will not need the test, so you will get your staging and type of cancer after you're biopsy/lumpectomy. I am triple neg and it's not the end of the world as so many think it is. It's all about education.

It's pretty hard to be gentle with yourself right now because you are terrified and you're mind is just racing and your thoughts can't help but be negative. I took Ativan (anti-aniexty) from the day I found the lump til after treatment was completed. Twice daily, sometimes three depending on my level of "scared". It kept me grounded so I could think in the day and sleep at nite.

If you have to have chemo (and we don't know that yet) we will all tell you it's doable. It's a word that terrorizes everyone at first so you are having normal feelings. Just take one step at a time, educate yourself and come here for info, advice and understanding.

Please let us know how your lumpectomy goes...

Hugs, Judy :-)

I need support... I
    I went to the Mayo Website, as you suggested. I went over my biopsy/pathology report with a fine tooth comb...I understand what the very near futures hold...
    I have alot to say...but cannot write at this time...Teary Eyed...
  • sohardbnme
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Yes, this is very hard and it's
    just as scary whether you're 37 or 67. You're job now is to educate yourself on bc. Google is great, my fav is Mayo Clinic websites because they are precise and give all info on what needs to be done and how it is done. You need to have this info before you speak with your surgeon so you know what he/she is saying etc. Yes, you really do need a surgeon who is a breast surgeon.

As to the Oncotype testing that is only for hormone fed cancers, if you are a triple neg. you will not need the test, so you will get your staging and type of cancer after you're biopsy/lumpectomy. I am triple neg and it's not the end of the world as so many think it is. It's all about education.

It's pretty hard to be gentle with yourself right now because you are terrified and you're mind is just racing and your thoughts can't help but be negative. I took Ativan (anti-aniexty) from the day I found the lump til after treatment was completed. Twice daily, sometimes three depending on my level of "scared". It kept me grounded so I could think in the day and sleep at nite.

If you have to have chemo (and we don't know that yet) we will all tell you it's doable. It's a word that terrorizes everyone at first so you are having normal feelings. Just take one step at a time, educate yourself and come here for info, advice and understanding.

Please let us know how your lumpectomy goes...

I need support...
    I went to the Mayo Website, as you suggested. I went over my biopsy/pathology report with a fine tooth comb...I understand what the very near futures hold...
    I have alot to say...but cannot write at this time...Teary Eyed...
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Life shows up,with NO notification...I must adjust...

Just plunge right in and start writing your thoughts,
    wipe away your tears as you type. Everyone of us has done that at least once and probably a lot more than once.... Once you start putting your thoughts and fears into words you may feel a little more in control. Go ahead a sob away, your entitled. This is a lot to take in and try and deal with right now. Once you actually get into treatment and are actually doing something about this Beast you'll be surprised how focused you will become.

We are here for you, nothing you say here is wrong, this is the place where you can voice your thoughts and fears and ask questions.

• Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options
    It is a lot to take in. Take
    It is a lot to take in. Take one day at a time, prioritize what you need to do and just chip away at it. You CAN do it. Good luck.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Kimosabe said:

It is a lot to take in. Take
    It is a lot to take in. Take one day at a time, prioritize what you need to do and just chip away at it. You CAN do it. Good luck.

Welcome
    Oh we all know the panic your feeling. I also had a lumpectomy,chemo, rads. The whole package deal. I was told by others on this site a year ago when I was Dx that everything I have to go through is doable. This was hard to believe. The thought of Chemo, scared me to death. I am at the other end of the tunnel now and for me they were right, its all doable. We are all here for you when ever you need us. There is alot of support here. You will get through this. Hugs
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    first welcome and im glad you are here
    I know exactly how you feel because i felt the same way. I was diagnosed at 36 and was just in total shock and couldnt believe it. It is alot to take in especially when things start rolling like surgeries, treatments ect. It felt like i was at the dr every day for something different. Know that we are here for you. Build a support system. Thats very important. This site saved me and helped me so much because we are going through the same thing. Everyone handles things differently. Including treatments ect, but we can share what we experienced and it helps to know that you are not alone in this. Take a deep breath. I know right now it all seems impossible, but its not always. I survived and many others on here have too. Cry on here anytime you want. Vent anytime you want. Ask anything you want. Someone is always here. Take care and god bless you.
    laura
  • Beautiful Dawn7
    Beautiful Dawn7 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    me too
    hey ready my story. I am 33 about to start chemo and the other treaments. I actually had my cancer surgery on May 24th. We should encourage each other!