Breast Cancer Survivor Counselor

Larisa
Larisa Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know of a counselor that specializes in cancer survivors? I need some guidance and support with life after cancer. I don't really want to do another support group. I did those when I had cancer.

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    counselor
    Larisa, check with your oncologist's office or cancer center. Often the counselor who does the group therapy also does individual therapy. Your oncologist's office might have a list of names of individual counselors who deal in survivor issues. That's how I found mine. Good luck.

Mimi
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    mimivac said:

counselor
    Larisa, check with your oncologist's office or cancer center. Often the counselor who does the group therapy also does individual therapy. Your oncologist's office might have a list of names of individual counselors who deal in survivor issues. That's how I found mine. Good luck.

Mimi

Some places
    have groups "After breast cancer" for people who finished invasive treatment. You to check your local resources. What city are you in?
    As Mimi said ask your oncologist.
    Good luck and let us know if you find something helpful.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Counselors
    Call your American Cancer Society. They set me up with an individual cancer survivor, as I didn't want to go to group sessions and they can also give you names of professional counselors if that's what you are looking for. Also, your local hospital's cancer center will have names for you.

Judy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    GrandmaJ said:

Counselors
    Call your American Cancer Society. They set me up with an individual cancer survivor, as I didn't want to go to group sessions and they can also give you names of professional counselors if that's what you are looking for. Also, your local hospital's cancer center will have names for you.

Judy

Talk to your oncologist to
    Talk to your oncologist to see if he can recommend someone.

Also, contact the American Cancer Society. They do have fellow bc survivors that will speak to you on an individual basis. I think it is called Reach for Recovery.

Good luck!

Sue :)