has anyone else gained weight on chemo?

Options
2»

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Nope
    My oncologist was gracious enough to alert me to the probability that women in my age group frequently see a 15 pound weight gain during adjuvant therapy. Actually, he just advised me that it would happen. However, my weight remained consistent during the entire 18 weeks. I was encouraged to eat and drink as I pleased and did so because I wanted to make damn sure I stayed on course and that there was no excuse to reschedule a treatment.

I'm beginning to lose faith in this guy, however. I had no nausea, no outrageous side effects, and am beginning to wonder if my chemo wasn't just placebo water. Also, I noticed his shoes don't tie, but velcro. I just don't trust anyone over 5 that can't tie their own shoes.

Funny, how the weight gain and hair variables in this whole cancer equation really matter to us. I was concerned too, but it just didn't happen for me.

I'd be suspicious of Velcro, too...
    LOL, faith!

I'm with you -- I think I would have a hard time putting my trust in a doctor who wore Velcro'd shoes, though I really don't know why.

My oncologist is young and handsome, and always wears a shirt and tie in a hip color (like purple or navy), dress slacks, and dress shoes. Never wears a white coat. And for some crazy reason, all that makes me trust him more -- heck, those diplomas on his wall could all be forgeries, but I put my life in his hands because he has a cool purple tie and expensive shoes!

I think I need help. :-)

Traci
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    oh yeah and plenty of it.
    oh yeah and plenty of it. Each time I get weighed when I have my visit with the Onc. I am 3 - 4 pounds heavier. It doesn't matter how well I eat or the fact I excercise daily. I have gone from small to medium and am now pushing large. Thank goodness for plus sizes because at the rate I am going in a couple of months I will be there.

The only thing that is not letting me get depressed about it is that I feel good when I eat healthy, I feel good when I excercise and am no longer concerned about what I look like.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

oh yeah and plenty of it.
    oh yeah and plenty of it. Each time I get weighed when I have my visit with the Onc. I am 3 - 4 pounds heavier. It doesn't matter how well I eat or the fact I excercise daily. I have gone from small to medium and am now pushing large. Thank goodness for plus sizes because at the rate I am going in a couple of months I will be there.

The only thing that is not letting me get depressed about it is that I feel good when I eat healthy, I feel good when I excercise and am no longer concerned about what I look like.

I lost weight durning chemo ... but gaining as my
    taste buds redevelope. I lost 37 lbs during chemo (I was very sick and fatigued), now that I have a little energy and my taste buds are getting back to normal.. I'm gaining weight every week .. it doesn't matter if I eat 2 meals a day or 5 .. crazy. I will admit that I have not exercised much, with the exception of my weekly PT appointments for chronic fatigue ..

I'm not giving in or UP .. I have joined Weight Watchers, and I will be walking my dogs around my neighborhood starting tomorrow..baby steps

VickiSam

p.s. I did give UP smoking -- so perhaps these are the 15 lbs one is suppose to gain after quitting ...
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Gained 10 from chemo and now
    Gained 10 from chemo and now 10 more! I guess it's the Femara then Arimidex. I really wonder why it keeps piling on. SO nice to hear it happens to a lot of us. I did have a big appetite after I finished but it doesn't stop till 20 lbs later! LOL
    Our body image changed through the hair loss and now we have to be Real Warriors with the weight gain.
    But my friends, we are alive!
    Love you all.
    Wanda
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I gained 20 pounds on chemo.
    I gained 20 pounds on chemo. I've lost some of it but it's slow going. Parly because I don't want to diet.

Marcia 527
    You took the words right out of my mouth! Thank you...I don't want to diet either!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks, putzie
    Thanks for your kind post the other day. I really appreciate the encouragement. The last few days, I had energy to DO some things and that really helped me feel better.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options

Thanks, putzie
    Thanks for your kind post the other day. I really appreciate the encouragement. The last few days, I had energy to DO some things and that really helped me feel better.

It's the dirty little chemo
    It's the dirty little chemo secret....we all expect to be too naiseated to eat...instead we're just too fatigued to get up and move...add in the steroids and voila! 20 lbs.....
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

It's the dirty little chemo
    It's the dirty little chemo secret....we all expect to be too naiseated to eat...instead we're just too fatigued to get up and move...add in the steroids and voila! 20 lbs.....

dyaneb
    Nicely put!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Putzie...I have to ask...are
    Putzie...I have to ask...are you dancing around that IV pole????
    If you keep that up you wont have to worry about gaining weight! hehehe!!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Putzie...I have to ask...are
    Putzie...I have to ask...are you dancing around that IV pole????
    If you keep that up you wont have to worry about gaining weight! hehehe!!!

You took the words right out of my mouth, jo jo!
    I also want to know if you're pole dancing while you're getting chemo!

If we put that together with Scotch Freckles' wearing pasties to her surgery...and all the talk about "going naked"...this board is getting quite risque, no?

:-) Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

If we put that together with Scotch Freckles' wearing pasties to her surgery...and all the talk about "going naked"...this board is getting quite risque, no?

Traci isnt your onc Lisa
    Traci isnt your onc Lisa Lings' husband. he should be handsome and hip.
    I lost 70 pounds on chemo, and another 8 afterwards. People say, wow but you look good. which I do look better. but because I lost it in the way I did, its hard to wrap your brain around. I dont know myself, with my hair curly and dark also. Its not like I tried to lose weight.Its illness weight. plus I was so weak. But now i am getting strong and its getting better. Its like I came out of a coma and tada. hard to put into words, now if I had done it pole dancing.....but then again I kind did it pole dancing if thats what you want to call it.LOL
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Thats funny Traci...were
    Thats funny Traci...were setting a new trend here...Pole dancers, pasties and going naked...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
  • emma hankin
    emma hankin Member Posts: 2
    Options
    weight gain
    hi there. i put alot of weight on during chemo. i had 6 months chemo and put on about a stone n half. if it helps... it dropped off me when all my treatment was done.xx
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Options
    You were reading my mind....
    I got up this morning and decided I was going to post this same question! I have gained 25 pounds; I am not very big or tall so it is very noticeable. I didn't start gaining weight until I started Taxol. When I was on AC I didn't eat much or gain weight. Now this week I start Tamoxifen and I am so worried I am going to gain another 25 pounds on this. I haven't had the energy to exercise so that is part I know. I am eating like it is going out of style. Everything sounds good! Now that it has quit raining here in Oregon and it has warmed up I am hoping to get out and walk. My husband and I have done a little bit of that but not enough. I start rads in a couple of weeks and I am hoping that it doesn't zap what energy I have gotten back. It is so hard to get dressed and undressed, nothing I have fits and then when I see myself in the mirror it shocks me. No boobs and a gut! Plus those thunder thighs! That is where I gain my weight! It is hard to feel good about yourself and want to be romantic with your husband when you see yourself. My dr had told me it would happen so it was no surprise. I was one of those people who thought I would lose weight! In the big picture I know it is no big deal at least I am here and alive! I have stage 3 and 12 lymph nodes involved so I know I have luck on my side that I caught it and I am beating it!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Weight gain
    Yes I gained alot of weight.I got the heaviest i had ever been in my life.I have lost 40lbs. now.I have 40 to go.I knew I could fight one battle at a time.And of course cancer was first.
  • putzie
    putzie Member Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You were reading my mind....
    I got up this morning and decided I was going to post this same question! I have gained 25 pounds; I am not very big or tall so it is very noticeable. I didn't start gaining weight until I started Taxol. When I was on AC I didn't eat much or gain weight. Now this week I start Tamoxifen and I am so worried I am going to gain another 25 pounds on this. I haven't had the energy to exercise so that is part I know. I am eating like it is going out of style. Everything sounds good! Now that it has quit raining here in Oregon and it has warmed up I am hoping to get out and walk. My husband and I have done a little bit of that but not enough. I start rads in a couple of weeks and I am hoping that it doesn't zap what energy I have gotten back. It is so hard to get dressed and undressed, nothing I have fits and then when I see myself in the mirror it shocks me. No boobs and a gut! Plus those thunder thighs! That is where I gain my weight! It is hard to feel good about yourself and want to be romantic with your husband when you see yourself. My dr had told me it would happen so it was no surprise. I was one of those people who thought I would lose weight! In the big picture I know it is no big deal at least I am here and alive! I have stage 3 and 12 lymph nodes involved so I know I have luck on my side that I caught it and I am beating it!

One thing I recently did was
    One thing I recently did was to get lasix. It has helped me to shed some of the water weight I was getting with the steroids. My shoes now fit and I have ankles again! I am hearing from most people that we will lose the weight once the treatments are over. I know the most important part is curing the cancer but the weight gain does make us feel bad. Hopefully, we will all have lots of light (no cancer, lose our excess weight) at the end of the tunnel!!!

Yes, I am pole dancing with my IV pole. A dear friend is documenting my chemo treatments and she thought it would be hysterical if I would do the "dirty dance" with my pole.....We laughed until we were silly and I couldn't muster enough craziness to really cut loose. :)
    love and hugs to you all!!!!
  • sarahwarrenone
    sarahwarrenone Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I too was nothing but lean muscle, and my doctor was actually concerned that my body woulsn't be able to handle starting chemo because my weight was so low. NOT THE CASE ANY MORE :( I have been on 3 diff chemo concoctions since july 2021 (now sept 2022) and I have gained almost 30 pounds despite my efforts. It is discouraging bc nothing is working. i hate how i look and feel

• sarahwarrenone
    sarahwarrenone Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

btw, its not only the steroids bc im not on them long term. the chemo just adds so much inflammation, i look so different now.

• lovedwife
    lovedwife Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

If you are taking steroids for any medication, it could be that. I actually had to find treatment without steroids because they damaged my heart. I then lost 35 lbs. I've heard it goes either way for some , some people lose weight and some gain.