Short term disability

Options
2»

Comments

• MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Self Insured Companies
    So you mentioned that your spouse's employer is a "Self-Funded" Group? In many cases, those are the worst employers because they can "Customize" their Health Plan, to save themselves money. I'm not saying that all self-insured employers are horrible, but some of them can remove State Mandates from their Standard Insurance policy. For example, my Employer is a Self-insured company and the jerks decided to remove a Mandate that many states have in place, for Wig coverage, so while many other employers cover wigs for cancer patients, because it is a mandate in many states, my employer doesn't have to add it on to their policy. It really sucks how many of these large Corporations can remove and add benefits into their Health Insurance policies, as they see fit for them! I'm sorry you and your wife have to go through the nightmare of dealing with all of that mess.

The other issue is that most employers can buy into a short-term disability plan, which at least covers about 60% of the employee's salary. My employer did offer the short-term disability benefits and I have been able to take at least 12 weeks off because I had some minor complications from the reconstructive surgery. But, in all honesty, it was a tough fight getting approved for all of those weeks and I'm still fighting with them because the disability company needs the Medical notes every time I see the Surgeon, and of course, the surgeon's office is a bit slow with submitting the office notes. Just last week, I had a breakdown and I insisted on speaking with a Supervisor from the Disability Company, and they rushed the review and approval through.

It's bad enough we have to fight the Cancer, but to add to our burdens, we have to fight for our salaries and our Health Insurance!

I do hope things get better and I wish you and your wife all the best on this road to recovery :)