Abdominal Pedicle Tram question

alexlib_mom
alexlib_mom Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is there anyone out there who has had an abdominal pedicle tram or who knows of someone who can tell me about their recovery (length, difficulty, etc)? I have this scheduled a week from today and while I thought I was dealing with it well, I had a little freak out session last night. I'd appreciate any thoughts that people have. I usually am more of a reader on this discussion board and I want you to know how much I appreciate all of you.

I finished my chemo on 5/18. Hair is coming back very very slowly, or so it seems to me. How quickly should it be coming back? It seems like it's mostly coming back on my legs - lol - just the one place I don't want it!

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Stephanie, I hope that your

Stephanie, I hope that your surgery goes well next week. I bet that you'll feel so much better after it's done: I couldn't wait to have my mastectomy and reconstruction done last year. I had a free tram (similar to DIEP) surgery, which is similar to the one that you are having but the blood supply is disconnected and reconnected under the arms, requiring micro surgery. My understanding is that your surgery (also known as TRAM flap) has a shorter recovery period than the one that I had.

There are several women who have had the TRAM flap, and I'm sure that some of them will respond, giving you their experiences.

Joyce

P.S. I was a reader for quite a while, too.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Stephanie -
    I haven't had that surgery but did want to take the opportunity to wish you well next week!
  • alexlib_mom
    alexlib_mom Member Posts: 46

Stephanie -
    I haven't had that surgery but did want to take the opportunity to wish you well next week!

thanks all
    Thanks for the info.

It's hard to look at all the options and come up with one that works. I'm still a little scared, but know this is the right thing to do.

I'm borrowing a recliner from a friend for a month so I don't have to sleep flat. It's hard to get flat after abdominal surgery.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

Stephanie
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

thanks all
    Thanks for the info.

It's hard to look at all the options and come up with one that works. I'm still a little scared, but know this is the right thing to do.

I'm borrowing a recliner from a friend for a month so I don't have to sleep flat. It's hard to get flat after abdominal surgery.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

Stephanie

Tram flap
    I have not yet heard of the reconstruction you are having done but I plan to have the muscle sparing free tram flap. Your plastic surgeon is the best one to talk to about recommending which procedure he or she feels is best suited for you after examining you and asking you some questions.

I also finished my chemo on 5/17, a day before you, and my hair is coming in thin and slowly and all white. Looks pretty much like a newborn babies hair because it is so thin and you can still see your scalp. I started going out though the past few days without my scarf on. It is almost 100 degrees outside and at least I have a little hair coming in so I figured how I feel is more important than what anyone else thinks when they look at me or stare at me. Now going to church tomorrow....mmm...I am still trying to decide since I will be wearing a dress and want to look my best....we will see.
    Lorrie
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Balentine said:

Tram flap
    I have not yet heard of the reconstruction you are having done but I plan to have the muscle sparing free tram flap. Your plastic surgeon is the best one to talk to about recommending which procedure he or she feels is best suited for you after examining you and asking you some questions.

I also finished my chemo on 5/17, a day before you, and my hair is coming in thin and slowly and all white. Looks pretty much like a newborn babies hair because it is so thin and you can still see your scalp. I started going out though the past few days without my scarf on. It is almost 100 degrees outside and at least I have a little hair coming in so I figured how I feel is more important than what anyone else thinks when they look at me or stare at me. Now going to church tomorrow....mmm...I am still trying to decide since I will be wearing a dress and want to look my best....we will see.
    Lorrie

Stephanie, I think that your
    Stephanie, I think that your surgery is also called TRAM flap. You might want to do a post with that as the subject. I know there are lots of women who have had that surgery: they may just not recognize the name you're using.

Joyce