Mastectomy questions

Options
2»

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

I'm so glad to have so many
    I'm so glad to have so many responses & that you all are sharing your experiences with me. I'm not afraid of losing my breasts, actually -or my natural ones, I should say, I was planning on a lift & small implants next year before this whole cancer mess started :) I think I'm going to stop pressuring myself to make a decision & wait until I talk with my doctors this week, so that I can learn more about my cancer and my options. Thank you all again, I wish I could reach out and hug each and every one of you!
    Heather

Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle, you have been told many different life stories here. After you talk to your drs you will be able to make an informed decision with all the info you have accumulated. You are young and have many decisions to make.

I'm the 5th in my family to have BC. My maternal grandmother died at age 62. My maternal aunt dx at age 68, had mastectomy and is still alive at age 90. One sister dx at age 49 with DCIS had lumpectomy and rads. She took Tamoxifen for 5 years and is doing well:) Other sister had lumpectomy plus cancer in 7 lymph nodes so she had chemo & rads. She took Arimidex for 5 years and is doing well. I'm 61 (well past menopause) and I have a 6.8 cm Invasive Lobular Carcinoma in rt breast and small tumor in left breast that is Lobular Carcinoma in Situ. My surgeon told me I have no choice but mastectomy on right breast because of the size. On the left I could have had lumpectomy and immediate reconstruction but I've opted for a double mastectomy to lessen the chances of recurrence.

My surgery is 10am tomorrow. I'm actually feeling quite prepared and calm because of all the info I've gotten from these message boards.
    Char
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle, you have been told many different life stories here. After you talk to your drs you will be able to make an informed decision with all the info you have accumulated. You are young and have many decisions to make.

I'm the 5th in my family to have BC. My maternal grandmother died at age 62. My maternal aunt dx at age 68, had mastectomy and is still alive at age 90. One sister dx at age 49 with DCIS had lumpectomy and rads. She took Tamoxifen for 5 years and is doing well:) Other sister had lumpectomy plus cancer in 7 lymph nodes so she had chemo & rads. She took Arimidex for 5 years and is doing well. I'm 61 (well past menopause) and I have a 6.8 cm Invasive Lobular Carcinoma in rt breast and small tumor in left breast that is Lobular Carcinoma in Situ. My surgeon told me I have no choice but mastectomy on right breast because of the size. On the left I could have had lumpectomy and immediate reconstruction but I've opted for a double mastectomy to lessen the chances of recurrence.

My surgery is 10am tomorrow. I'm actually feeling quite prepared and calm because of all the info I've gotten from these message boards.
    Char

hi
    i wasn't diagnosed with

hi

i wasn't diagnosed with Bc but i was high risk soi opted for double mastectomy with reconstruction.

its true that they cannot remove 100% of breast tissue,as tissue cells can be as low down as your abdomen,as high as your collar bone.... but the average woman has around a 12% chance of getting BC.....after a bilateral mastectomy,that goes down to around a 2% chance......so those who choose it have a lower chance than the average woman.

Saying that,the cells that they cannot get to tend to be palpable (you can feel it through the skin with your fingers)and therefore makes detection easier.

Its a difficult choice and one only you can make. I dont regret my decision for a single second.I already had cancer when i was 17 and will do my damndest-at age 36-to try not to get it again! I have a 13 yr old daughter.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Heatherbelle

Char

Good for you Heather. Stop
    Good for you Heather. Stop pressuring yourself to make a decision right now.

See what your doctors advice and then think about your choices, if you have them.

Hugs, Megan
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Megan M said:

Good for you Heather. Stop
    Good for you Heather. Stop pressuring yourself to make a decision right now.

See what your doctors advice and then think about your choices, if you have them.

Hugs, Megan

decided
    Thank you everyone for your information and experiences. I met with my oncologist yesterday, and a plastic surgeon today. I meet with my breast surgeon tomorrow, and we will schedule my surgery. I am choosing to have both breasts removed (bi-lateral? is that what it's called?). I've talked with several women at or near my age (34) who went through the same thing I'm going through now, and they all decided on having both removed, as well. Piece of mind is one thing. I'm already large breasted, and they are dense and fibrous (this isn't the first lump I've found, but it is the first to be cancerous). Another reason for my choice is the appearance of my breasts. Even before my diagnosis, my breasts were very uneven, and my husband and I were planning for augmentation for me next year anyway. If I had just the lumpectomy, my plastic surgeon advised me (by no means did he try to sway one way or the other, though) that I would have to have a reduction and lift on my remaining breast-and the last thing I want on top of everything else I'm headed for is smaller breasts! So he will put in the expanders at the time of mastectomy. I would advise for anyone else newly diagnosed who has to decide on what type of surgery to TALK to a plastic surgeon if reconstruction is important to you. I learned so much today and really that made this most difficult decision much easier for me.
  • Llyn
    Llyn Member Posts: 1
    Options

Sentinal Node Biopsy
    Also, my surgeon says the new standard is to the get the Sentinal Node biopsy done. I'm glad I did mine. It gave me major peace of mind.

The other reason I chose mastectomy was that if I did come back with cancer again and I had chosen lumpectomy/radiation the first time, that radiation can interfere with a really good reconstruction because it wears the skin down so much. (I was told)

Again, others will have different takes, but you go with what you get and make a decision from there.

You've got your mastectomy camp and your lumpectomy camp all sisters together. :0)

Every single person on this site has each other's best interests at heart.

All options are viable. The hard part is deciding what is best for you.

Whatever you decide everyone here will be here to support you!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Radiation
    "Radiation: The gift that keeps on giving!"
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options

decided
    Thank you everyone for your information and experiences. I met with my oncologist yesterday, and a plastic surgeon today. I meet with my breast surgeon tomorrow, and we will schedule my surgery. I am choosing to have both breasts removed (bi-lateral? is that what it's called?). I've talked with several women at or near my age (34) who went through the same thing I'm going through now, and they all decided on having both removed, as well. Piece of mind is one thing. I'm already large breasted, and they are dense and fibrous (this isn't the first lump I've found, but it is the first to be cancerous). Another reason for my choice is the appearance of my breasts. Even before my diagnosis, my breasts were very uneven, and my husband and I were planning for augmentation for me next year anyway. If I had just the lumpectomy, my plastic surgeon advised me (by no means did he try to sway one way or the other, though) that I would have to have a reduction and lift on my remaining breast-and the last thing I want on top of everything else I'm headed for is smaller breasts! So he will put in the expanders at the time of mastectomy. I would advise for anyone else newly diagnosed who has to decide on what type of surgery to TALK to a plastic surgeon if reconstruction is important to you. I learned so much today and really that made this most difficult decision much easier for me.

Congrads on your decision!
    Each decision is hard especailly when your fightin bc. The way i looked at mine was...I GET NEW BOOBS!! Now it looks like youll be getting new ones too...and yes its a bi-lateral mastectomy.
    By the way i noticed your pic and your hair looks great!
  • slynch
    slynch Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Choose to do both
    I had cancer in one breast but I had 4 biopsies on that breast so opted for mastectomy. I just did not want to keep having mammograms every 6 months and always being called back for more. Also, because of my mother having ovarian cancer and there is a relation, I opted to do both breasts.

Some of my friends thought it was an aggressive decision but it is truly your own decision and they haven't heard the "Cancer Diagnosis" in their lives. It is not an easy surgery and there were days that I wondered what I had done but the worst does not last long. The fact that I have NO CANCER is a relief. I feel like I conquered a monster. I am in the reconstruction phase now and it is not bad at all so far. This is a great site to get information and I got a lot of valuable information from people who have already been through what you are facing. Good luck with your decision.
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hello
    !
    Sorry to hear of

Hello
    !
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but there are so many people here to help you, it's wonderful! I was diagnosed April 13th with just a small group of microcalcifications. The biopsy showed it to be cancer. MRI showed nothing but my breasts were very dense (tiny, but dense!) My surgeon asked me what I wanted to do, said he could try a lumpectomy but wouldn't exactly know what he was dealing with until he got in there. I chose a bilateral mastectomy because my cancer was lobular type which tends to show up in the other breast. He agreed that it was the right choice. My surgery was may 4th, I just wanted it all out of me whatever it was!!! The actual tumor was only 5 mm, they were amazed that they even found it! My lymph nodes were clear thank goodness. Even though it was so small, I am so happy with my decision as I too couldn't imagine going through the emotional trauma of this again. The surgery really isn't bad at all. I began reconstruction immediately and developed some difficult problems with nerves regenerating, but some new medicine is really helping that problem. I go once a week for fills, only 30cc's at a time since I have a small frame. Currently my expanders are full. The last one put me at 180 cc's. This is the only one that has really bothered me, it seems the expander is pressing on a nerve that is bothering my back and having some breathing difficulty. It has eased up since yesterday, so guess my muscle is stretching to allow it some extra room. It's truly an amazing process and we are so fortunate that they have made so many strides in assisting women with this dreadful disease. I wish you well with your health and the difficult decisions you are about to make. Rest assured that there are so many people on this site and others that offer invaluable support and hope.

Laura
  • Heatherbelle
    Options
    hoop77 said:

Hello
    !
    Sorry to hear of

Hello
    !
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but there are so many people here to help you, it's wonderful! I was diagnosed April 13th with just a small group of microcalcifications. The biopsy showed it to be cancer. MRI showed nothing but my breasts were very dense (tiny, but dense!) My surgeon asked me what I wanted to do, said he could try a lumpectomy but wouldn't exactly know what he was dealing with until he got in there. I chose a bilateral mastectomy because my cancer was lobular type which tends to show up in the other breast. He agreed that it was the right choice. My surgery was may 4th, I just wanted it all out of me whatever it was!!! The actual tumor was only 5 mm, they were amazed that they even found it! My lymph nodes were clear thank goodness. Even though it was so small, I am so happy with my decision as I too couldn't imagine going through the emotional trauma of this again. The surgery really isn't bad at all. I began reconstruction immediately and developed some difficult problems with nerves regenerating, but some new medicine is really helping that problem. I go once a week for fills, only 30cc's at a time since I have a small frame. Currently my expanders are full. The last one put me at 180 cc's. This is the only one that has really bothered me, it seems the expander is pressing on a nerve that is bothering my back and having some breathing difficulty. It has eased up since yesterday, so guess my muscle is stretching to allow it some extra room. It's truly an amazing process and we are so fortunate that they have made so many strides in assisting women with this dreadful disease. I wish you well with your health and the difficult decisions you are about to make. Rest assured that there are so many people on this site and others that offer invaluable support and hope.

Laura

Thanks Laura
    Thanks for sharing your experience Laura, i was wondering about the expanders and how that goes. I'm planning on starting the reconstruction immediately also. I appreciat your kind words & thoughts :)
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Options
    jo jo said:

Congrads on your decision!
    Each decision is hard especailly when your fightin bc. The way i looked at mine was...I GET NEW BOOBS!! Now it looks like youll be getting new ones too...and yes its a bi-lateral mastectomy.
    By the way i noticed your pic and your hair looks great!

yes! new boobs! and thanks,
    yes! new boobs! and thanks, I really love my new cut. Right before I start chemo Im going to have one more, into a short little pixie cut-the losing my hair part i think is really going to hit me hard-and i really look like crap in ANY kind of hat, with hair, so i'm not too optimistic on how they'll look without any..I'm thinking I'll wear bandanas alot,I have a few for when I ride on the motorcycle with my husband :) I sent you a facebook friend request today, but i forgot to add a message that it was from me! If you get a request from heather kaylor-grontkowski, that's me!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options

yes! new boobs! and thanks,
    yes! new boobs! and thanks, I really love my new cut. Right before I start chemo Im going to have one more, into a short little pixie cut-the losing my hair part i think is really going to hit me hard-and i really look like crap in ANY kind of hat, with hair, so i'm not too optimistic on how they'll look without any..I'm thinking I'll wear bandanas alot,I have a few for when I ride on the motorcycle with my husband :) I sent you a facebook friend request today, but i forgot to add a message that it was from me! If you get a request from heather kaylor-grontkowski, that's me!

Heather i will look for the
    Heather i will look for the freind request.
    I dont look good in hats either so all i wear is bandanas.
    I was very upset about loosing my hair...but after i lost it, it really wasnt that bad. It takes alot less time to get ready cuz i dont have to blowdry it and all that and you spend less on shampoo and i found out my head isnt shaped like an egg like i thought it would be!
    Youll have to check out my pics on FB...I posted my hair cut after i started loosing my hair and donated my ponytail to locks of love.
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Options

Thanks Laura
    Thanks for sharing your experience Laura, i was wondering about the expanders and how that goes. I'm planning on starting the reconstruction immediately also. I appreciat your kind words & thoughts :)
    Heather

Heather,
    You sound like you

Heather,

You sound like you have such a great plan. I only found this site less than a week ago. I am at 7 weeks after surgery. I had bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders at the same time. The best thing you are getting is that you will know what to expect.

It isn't all easy but I have no regrets. Thinks to know: Get some shirts that have buttons or zippers. (You won't be able to put things over your head). Not as bad as it sounds. Find a sports bra (without underwire) that has a zipper in the front, too. Two friends bought me some pretty pjs. The kind that you could wear all day. (Some days were pj days.) I have felt pain after my fills but I think my doctor is filling too much/ too fast. I did not have this site to know what to expect. I slowed things down. I think I am done filling....

The unknown is scary. As soon as I read all about things at this site, I began to think I am NOT going crazy. For the first time I felt my sanity started to be restored.

You are at the best place because you will know what to expect.
    ** Your new picture is so cute. I have long hair and I cut it too as soon as I was diagnosed. I wanted to take control.

Ask more questions if you need.
    Take care
    109339 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    mastectomy
    It's an individual decision. No one knows what's right or wrong or if the decision is right or wrong. I first had a lumpectomy followed by a mastectomy. My radiologist suggested that I remove both. I didn't. I had the cancerous right breast removed and that was all I could bare at the time. I never took Tomaxin either. I am an 11 year survivor. Only g-d knows the answer. Listen to only one person, YOURSELF. Only you know what" best for you. Keep srong and positive.
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    109339 said:

mastectomy
    It's an individual decision. No one knows what's right or wrong or if the decision is right or wrong. I first had a lumpectomy followed by a mastectomy. My radiologist suggested that I remove both. I didn't. I had the cancerous right breast removed and that was all I could bare at the time. I never took Tomaxin either. I am an 11 year survivor. Only g-d knows the answer. Listen to only one person, YOURSELF. Only you know what" best for you. Keep srong and positive.

Thanks, 109339
    You are right. It is an individual choice. What is right for one person may not be for another.

Knowledge is power.

I have some great friends but some just can not relate.... until you are in "our" shoes. I am sorry to meet all of you because we have cancer. But I am also so grateful. No judgements from anyone. Take what you need; leave the rest.

Heatherbelle
    You have our support.
    Take care.