Non-Paraben Lotions and Creams

Options
Dawne.Hope
Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've recently discovered that lotions containing parabens can become estrogen like when we put them on our skin. Big no-no if your cancer was was E and P +.

I've been looking for creams and lotions to put on my scars that do not contain compounds like this and was just wondering, what do you all use that is good for the skin but doesn't contain parabens and other such compounds?

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    My wife switched
    She started using something called "Kiss My Face" and she switched her deodorant also to something alum and paraban free that she found in the health food store.
  • John_32
    John_32 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hubby said:

My wife switched
    She started using something called "Kiss My Face" and she switched her deodorant also to something alum and paraban free that she found in the health food store.

everyone should
    We should all be using more natural products, whether we already have cancer, or are trying to avoid ever getting it. Products that we put on our skin don't just stay on our skin, they get into our bodies. My mother (who is stage IV) believes that her diagnosis may have come about from all of the animal products and other chemicals that make up the ingredients of things we use everyday, like soap, shampoo, creams, etc. There are really toxins all around us these days. The apartment building we used to live in in New York would have a gel truck come by regularly which she believed was going into the water so that the building's hot water would heat up more quickly, and the whole time we were there she had a horrible hacking cough which stopped as soon as we moved. Now she is very cautious about what comes in contact with her skin and what products she uses, and the rest of us have also become more cautious. She even uses "tooth powder" instead of toothpaste, because of all the chemicals used in toothpaste, though I haven't gone that far yet because it feels like you are brushing your teeth with sand... But a good rule of thumb is, for whatever products you are using on your body, if the ingredients look way too complicated to understand then they were probably never intended to come in contact with your body in the first place and may be harmful. So, Hubby, throw your own Speed Stick away as well and find something more natural!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    This is really greasy, but,
    This is really greasy, but, I used this during my rad treatments to keep my skin moist and in good shape and it works. It is aquaphor. But, like I said, it is really greasy.

Jeanne D on here said to wear something old that you could throw away and I wore my hubby's tshirts.

I am sure others will have suggestions too.

Sue :)
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    I haven't used it yet...
    but my radiation oncologist told me the only thing I should be using is ALRA lotion - she said the Acquafor is OK but really greasy so they only recommend the ALRA lotion and deodorant....
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

I haven't used it yet...
    but my radiation oncologist told me the only thing I should be using is ALRA lotion - she said the Acquafor is OK but really greasy so they only recommend the ALRA lotion and deodorant....

Just want to clarify...
    ...I think we may now be talking about two different things.

If I'm understanding correctly, I think Dawne.Hope is asking about lotions and creams in general to use after treatment is completed, NOT about products to use during radiation.

Since radiation equipment and protocols differ so much from center to center, if you're doing radiation, it's really important to use ONLY the products (lotions, creams, soap, deodorant -- anything that touches your skin in that area) that the doctor or nurse okays.

Just clarifying -- hope that helps.

Traci
  • Ritzy
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Just want to clarify...

If I'm understanding correctly, I think Dawne.Hope is asking about lotions and creams in general to use after treatment is completed, NOT about products to use during radiation.

Since radiation equipment and protocols differ so much from center to center, if you're doing radiation, it's really important to use ONLY the products (lotions, creams, soap, deodorant -- anything that touches your skin in that area) that the doctor or nurse okays.

Traci

I just thought the Aquaphor
    I just thought the Aquaphor might help her even though she wasn't needing it for rads.

You should probably just call and ask your oncologist Dawn.

They might know of something that would be just perfect for you!

• JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Here is a website
    that might be helpful: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ also goodguide.com
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I've recently
    I've recently started using Kiss My Face toothpaste. Since seeing a Naturapathic dr I've been trying to go more organic in what I eat and what I put on and in my body.

I agree with Traci in that during treatment we should get advice from our radiation oncologist. I do know that my sister used Aquaphor while undergoing radiation and slept with a white t-shirt. But after treatments are done it would be sensible to use products that are safe and kind to our bodies.
    Char
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Just want to clarify...

Traci

Traci's right
    Thanks for clarifying, Traci.

I didn't have rads. I'm just wondering about regular lotions and creams. During the reconstruction process, I've had problems with stretch marks. I was putting Pond's Cocoa Butter on my scars and chest until someone told me about the dangers of parabens.

So, I'm just wondering what others use that don't have chemicals and preservatives in them.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Thanks for the comments, Ritzy! I appreciate them!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I just thought the Aquaphor
    I just thought the Aquaphor might help her even though she wasn't needing it for rads.

You should probably just call and ask your oncologist Dawn.

They might know of something that would be just perfect for you!

You're right, Sue
    Aquaphor is great stuff, whether or not you're going through rads.

I had so much of my giant Aquaphor tub left after rads that I've been using it as a foot cream, before I put on socks -- and I'm tellin' ya, it's the best thing I've ever used!

Now that would be an idea for a thread -- What Did You Do With Your Aquaphor After Rads? I'm thinking there must be some home improvement uses for it....

:-) Traci
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

You're right, Sue
    Aquaphor is great stuff, whether or not you're going through rads.

I had so much of my giant Aquaphor tub left after rads that I've been using it as a foot cream, before I put on socks -- and I'm tellin' ya, it's the best thing I've ever used!

Now that would be an idea for a thread -- What Did You Do With Your Aquaphor After Rads? I'm thinking there must be some home improvement uses for it....

:-) Traci

I still put aquaphor on my
    I still put aquaphor on my breast every now and then where I had the boosters. That stuff is good!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    JanInMN said:

Here is a website
    that might be helpful: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ also goodguide.com

I checked out this site.
    I checked out this site. Thanks Jan!

♥ Noel
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I've recently
    I've recently started using Kiss My Face toothpaste. Since seeing a Naturapathic dr I've been trying to go more organic in what I eat and what I put on and in my body.

I agree with Traci in that during treatment we should get advice from our radiation oncologist. I do know that my sister used Aquaphor while undergoing radiation and slept with a white t-shirt. But after treatments are done it would be sensible to use products that are safe and kind to our bodies.
    Char

I still used the aquaphor
    I still used the aquaphor for a couple of weeks, now use aveeno, but dont know how "free" it is. I use tom's of Maine for deodorant. works for me. Oh yeah used aquaphor during rads 17 years go, so I used for diaper rashes and sunburns.
  • Ritzy
    Options

Traci's right
    Thanks for clarifying, Traci.

I didn't have rads. I'm just wondering about regular lotions and creams. During the reconstruction process, I've had problems with stretch marks. I was putting Pond's Cocoa Butter on my scars and chest until someone told me about the dangers of parabens.

So, I'm just wondering what others use that don't have chemicals and preservatives in them.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Thanks for the comments, Ritzy! I appreciate them!

Anytime Dawne, even if I am
    Anytime Dawne, even if I am confused on the question. LOL

I try to help! Good luck!