Great Books to Read

dmc_emmy
dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just finished reading "The Paperbag Christmas" by Kevin Alan Milne. It was his first novel, I suppose it would fall under "inspirational literature." It's about several young children and their Christmas experiences and a valuable lesson that they learned. I don't want to say much more, in case you want to read it. It really puts things into perspective about what's really important and that people (children in particular)face challenges that no child should have to face--it's hard enough for those who are beyond their "tender years."

I read another one by a comedian, Mack Dryden, who presented at the cancer survivor celebration that I recently attended. He is a two-time cancer survivor and his book (not about cancer) is about his experiences in a Moraccan prison, "Fluffing the Concrete." I recommend it (he also has a CD of comedy act and he really is hoot).

Just thought I would mention them. You may be able to find reviews of them online.

Good night.
dmc

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Wow...I need to see if the
    Wow...I need to see if the library has Mack Drydens book. I saw 2 reviews, one on Amazon, the purchaser very much enjoyed the book, thought it was amusing, taught good life-lessons and that Dryden did great illustrations. The other review, from another source, slammed the book! Said Dryden tried to be amusing but didn't succeed, and that his own actions landed him in that prison, and that even the illustrations somehow cheapened the book. Amazing two sides of the coin! as I said, WOW!
    Thus wanting to rent the book rather than own it at this point! LOL

I am not quite sure what, if anything is going to be in my library. With chemo starting again soon, I was reflecting on how I felt the first time around! And as I recall, with my eyes watering profusely, chemo-brain wreaking havoc with my cognitive function, and just not being able to pay attention, it bothered me greatly that reading was on the back burner.
    As a matter of fact, isn't it odd what things make us the saddest and can even bring tears? For me it was the realization that I probably won't be able to remain part of my women's book club during chemo. I am not writing it off YET, but it simply doesn't seem something I can keep up with. It is the first book club I have ever belonged to, I love these women and the sweet, cozy bookstore where we meet. Cancer seems to be taking that away from me, and I wasn't able to be Stronger Than..I admit I was Angry At!

Well, thanks for provoking my thought process! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    chenheart said:

Wow...I need to see if the
    Wow...I need to see if the library has Mack Drydens book. I saw 2 reviews, one on Amazon, the purchaser very much enjoyed the book, thought it was amusing, taught good life-lessons and that Dryden did great illustrations. The other review, from another source, slammed the book! Said Dryden tried to be amusing but didn't succeed, and that his own actions landed him in that prison, and that even the illustrations somehow cheapened the book. Amazing two sides of the coin! as I said, WOW!
    Thus wanting to rent the book rather than own it at this point! LOL

I am not quite sure what, if anything is going to be in my library. With chemo starting again soon, I was reflecting on how I felt the first time around! And as I recall, with my eyes watering profusely, chemo-brain wreaking havoc with my cognitive function, and just not being able to pay attention, it bothered me greatly that reading was on the back burner.
    As a matter of fact, isn't it odd what things make us the saddest and can even bring tears? For me it was the realization that I probably won't be able to remain part of my women's book club during chemo. I am not writing it off YET, but it simply doesn't seem something I can keep up with. It is the first book club I have ever belonged to, I love these women and the sweet, cozy bookstore where we meet. Cancer seems to be taking that away from me, and I wasn't able to be Stronger Than..I admit I was Angry At!

Well, thanks for provoking my thought process! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen -
    I don't blame you - reading is my "wind down" activity in the evening and it would be hard to give that up. I have found that I have been able to keep reading - I take my Kindle with me to doctor appointments, for chemo, and then I measured getting past the chemo symptoms by when I could start reading again. It has provided me with very welcome distraction and I hope you are able to continue enjoying it this time!