support/groups.... how do you find them?

MrsPlate
MrsPlate Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
My husband has GBM4 that started in his spine, and hasn't spread to his brain yet, though it has spread further along his spinal cord.

Anyway GBM's aren't very common, let alone any like his. I"m having a hard time finding a support group for either him or I... there seem to be plenty of groups for breast cancer and families dealing with breast cancer and lymphoma, but no geraric cancer groups, or care giver groups... I'm not sure my husband would go to a group, but I know I could benefitt from something like a group or whatever... I've asked the medical social worker that's in the chemo group, but she wasn't all that helpful with this one thing...

SO- any tips on finding a caregiver support group?

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    The breast cancer groups
    are a good place to start. Careing for a spouse with breast cancer is no different than caring for a spouse with other cancers. The emotions, feelings, fear, anger, etc are all the same.
    Go to a few groups and check it out, it cant hurt and you may find someone that knows about other groups.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    GregStahl said:

The breast cancer groups
    are a good place to start. Careing for a spouse with breast cancer is no different than caring for a spouse with other cancers. The emotions, feelings, fear, anger, etc are all the same.
    Go to a few groups and check it out, it cant hurt and you may find someone that knows about other groups.

I agree with Greg, and I
    I agree with Greg, and I would also ask the doctors who they would recommend. Support groups are out there, you just have to ask, and do some research. How about asking The American Cancer Society if they know of any group in your area? They are always most helpful in many areas. Best of luck and keep in touch.
    Tina
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Groups
    I agree that checking with the ACS is a good start. Also in our area are sponsored by local hospital. Give them a call. Best of luck, Fay