Options
2»

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    chenheart said:

I had my original cancer
    I had my original cancer almost 8 years ago, and HAD a port...now that I will be starting chemo again, I wonder if port surgery is also in my near future? I have a great vein in my left arm, which thankfully is NOT my BC/lymphnode side, but how long that one site can hold up to chemo is another question.

I always had blood draws, chemo, and port flushing done at my Cancer Center~ there was no question that it would be done there by chemo RNs who access ports every day, all day! I am thankul, in reading your posts that I never ever had to deal with "plain old" ( sorry!) RNs who perhaps wouldn't be as knowledgeable or accurate as the ones on the chemo-wing of the clinic.

Even now, when I go in for blood draws, I put a heated washcloth on that vein, and I also have a small squeezie ball and a bottle of water. I squeeze the ball and drink the water on the half hour drive to the lab ( no, I am the passenger, in case you are wondering!)and have never had any trouble accessing the vein.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I did not have a port
    I did not have a port because I only had to have 4 rounds of cytoxan and taxotere. However, they used my left hand for all 4 and on the 4th it took them 3 sticks before it was successful...veins collapsed. Now a month later, I went for a blood draw Friday because I go to see my onc Monday and used my hand again in a different vein....it started out alright although it hurt really bad...by the 2nd tube it went from flowing to just drops and she was barely able to get what she needed. Also after my last chemo I got a red mark on my hand just below where they stuck me for the past two months...it hurt a few days and spread about an inch then dried up and went away for the most part. I think my veins in my only good spot for blood draws is now unusable and I am scared that now they may have to use my feet. So I am now trying to figure out how to never have a blood draw again for the rest of my life....mmmm.
    Lorrie
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    so true
    Hey girl,

You're soooo right. It's as if YOU'RE the idiot when you're in these situations. Reality is some rotating nurse who's either an 80-year Vet or fresh out of school isn't up to date and you have to turn into Turbo-Bee to make your point.

It stinks because you're already anxiety-laden just being there and then you have to defend yourself.

I always envisioned myself like a castle with a moat around me and I wouldn't let the draw bridge down unless I felt the person knew exactly what needed to be done.

I learned the hard way too many times.

Stand your ground. This is your body and no one is a better advocate than yourself.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Jo Jo, thanks for the info. When I had it done it was during a
    drug induced stress test before i got my port so I had an IV in the other arm and it automatically went off every 3 minutes then after the test dropped down to every 2 min! I am glad to hear on a one time reading it's not so bad. I will relax about that.

But some here abslutely hate their ports and can hardly wait to get them out, glad to have a port loving buddy!

Hugs, Judy :-)

Well Judy unfortuantly they
    Well Judy unfortuantly they are going to take my port out July 14th when i have my implants put in. :(