2»

Comments

• kiki3
    kiki3 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Sally5 said:

Scores
    TulsaMomof3,

First, you have a great attitude. This is the key to making the right decision. ** Keep asking questions; especially of your doctors.

Your percent decrease from 8% to 5%.? (It may seem like a 60 % decrease). I think it is a 5% decrease. This STILL may be significant. Read from CarrWilson (if you are the 2 extra women if makes a huge difference).

>>>> We are not statistics.... we are people and we need to fight anyway we can. I am so proud to hear how many husbands are out there cheering on their wives. Yeah for them, too.

I am new to understanding the cancer battle. (Just 6 weeks after surgery) but I do know math. If my reoccurance could go from a 2% reoccurance to a 1% chance (Is that 50% better. I don't think it is). I see it as a 1% increase. This could be significant but make your decision with accurate information.

Can anyone add to this? I thought when you were tested, it also shows whether your (type) of cancer will respond to chemo. I doesn't make sense to put your body through chem if it won't respond to the treatment. Anyone hear this?

Ladies (on sites with mastectomy and expanders and saline/silicone): In 3 days, I have learned a lot from so many of you. For the first time I feel like I am not going crazy....

Thanks for a bit of sanity back.

don't freak out if you have to do the chemo
    Just wanted to let you know that for me, a 40 year old healthy woman, the chemo has been a piece of cake. I am going in for round 4 of TCH on Monday, and it really isn't bad. So far, I have had one day per cycle of being tired. Not so tired you can't get out of bed, just "rainy day" tired. Where the laundry can wait, and you don't feel like doing much. I have found that making myself leave the house helps tremendously. I had an army of people who wanted to bring food, kidsit, etc, but I just have not needed it. I am kind of gassy (TMI probably) for a week, and have a taste in my mouth for a week, which is honestly the worst part, and that is it. If a taste in your mouth is all there is to complain about, then it really isn't bad. I would recommend checking out cold caps so you can keep your hair, because frankly if I had my hair, no one would even know I had cancer. You can do this if you have to. And if you don't, hurray for you!!!! I would try and go about your life as you did pre cancer. The more you read, the more you worry and I truly believe you can worry yourself into more cancer. Deepak Chopra is an excellent source for some healing thoughts. Good luck. Either way you can do it. Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow. Your kids would rather have you spend the day with them.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    kiki3 said:

don't freak out if you have to do the chemo
    Just wanted to let you know that for me, a 40 year old healthy woman, the chemo has been a piece of cake. I am going in for round 4 of TCH on Monday, and it really isn't bad. So far, I have had one day per cycle of being tired. Not so tired you can't get out of bed, just "rainy day" tired. Where the laundry can wait, and you don't feel like doing much. I have found that making myself leave the house helps tremendously. I had an army of people who wanted to bring food, kidsit, etc, but I just have not needed it. I am kind of gassy (TMI probably) for a week, and have a taste in my mouth for a week, which is honestly the worst part, and that is it. If a taste in your mouth is all there is to complain about, then it really isn't bad. I would recommend checking out cold caps so you can keep your hair, because frankly if I had my hair, no one would even know I had cancer. You can do this if you have to. And if you don't, hurray for you!!!! I would try and go about your life as you did pre cancer. The more you read, the more you worry and I truly believe you can worry yourself into more cancer. Deepak Chopra is an excellent source for some healing thoughts. Good luck. Either way you can do it. Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow. Your kids would rather have you spend the day with them.

My score was 31
    So I'm definitely having chemotherapy. It will start a couple of weeks after my hysterectomy for endometrial cancer on July 1. I had a talk with myself while waiting for the Oncotype Dx results and had decided that unless my number was really low, I would have chemotherapy, primarly because who knows what the heck is going on with me getting 2 cancers at the same time, and I wanted to be able to give it all I could. I don't want to see this beast again, doggone it. I didn't have to make a decision because of my score. I'm 63 and relatively healthy, so am more able to fight now than later if it were to come back. Those were my thoughts. They aren't based on any medical knowledge, just logics. We're all different and have different reasons for all decisions we make in life. Kiki, it is great to read your post about how uneventful your chemotherapy has been for you. I'm planning on mine being just like that, too! I'm also planning on my hysterectomy being the only treatment necessary for my endometrial cancer. One cancer is really enough to deal with at a time.

Suzanne