Favorite flower and why

Options
2»

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

I love....
    Anything that blooms and even more any flower that smells good. But the one I seem to plant the most is Echinacea or coneflower. They are shaped like daisies (which I also love) but have lots of vibrant colors. They are hardy and can withstand just about any type of treatment and they even have a medicinal value. No matter what you throw at them, they just hang in there and bloom - maybe I'm just seeing some parallels to life:)

Me too!
    Coneflowers are native and so beautiful. There are so many amazing hybrids now too, but I think the old purple (Echinacea purpurea) is my favorite. It is so hardy!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

I LOVE gardening! Ilove this post!
    I love any of our native wildflowers. Ask me sometime about the many benefits of planting natives: decreases introduction of awful plant diseases, attracts native bugs that feed our native birds, pride in our own wonderful USA plants, etc. I could talk about the subject forever. And will probably bore you to tears--lol!

One of my favorites is coral bean (Erythrina herbacea). It has these strange heart shaped leave and suddenly shoots up a huge spike of red flowers and then later has beautiful red seeds in weird pods. I also love rudbeckia maxima--it looks like a black eyed susan on steroids (about 6 feet tall)! False indigo (Baptisia australis) is a beautiful blue and has the most awesome looking seed pods. All of them are perennial and come back without coaxing every year.

Tulips and daisies! Love
    Tulips and daisies! Love both of those
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Megan M said:

Tulips and daisies! Love
    Tulips and daisies! Love both of those

The beauty of God shows forth in His creation
    Isn't it wonderful and such a proof of a living God who loves us and that he gives us the things of nature to bring us joy and serenity....like the beauty of something as simple as a flower??

Wow...anyway...I love tullips also...don't know why and of course who doesn't love roses...their beauty to look upon, their unique and lovely smell...who cannot love them!
    I thank God for them. I have several rose bushes in my yard. Just because they are so easy to care for. I don't have much of a green thumb.
    Lorrie
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Balentine said:

The beauty of God shows forth in His creation
    Isn't it wonderful and such a proof of a living God who loves us and that he gives us the things of nature to bring us joy and serenity....like the beauty of something as simple as a flower??

Wow...anyway...I love tullips also...don't know why and of course who doesn't love roses...their beauty to look upon, their unique and lovely smell...who cannot love them!
    I thank God for them. I have several rose bushes in my yard. Just because they are so easy to care for. I don't have much of a green thumb.
    Lorrie

Carnations. I just love
    Carnations. I just love them. And daffodils and tulips. A pretty spring bouquet is lovely also.
    And for the record, I don't like gladiolus at all. At my dad's funeral there were so many wreaths etc. all with glads. I have had an aversion to them ever since. My mom on the other hand found them comforting and she loved them and used to grow them. Isn't it funny how one thing can affect people totally differently?
    Stef
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Options
    Favorite Flowers
    Probably my favorite flowers are tulips and roses, but daisies are great, too. Tulips herald in spring and if the neighborhood deer don't get to them, they just get me excited for the new season. I love roses of all knds because they remind me of my gramps and his great love of gardening. He taught me how to grow and care for roses and whenever I work in my rose garden, he's with me in my heart. Daisies remind me of my mom. They are just as sunny and bright as she was. You could say, that flowers make me nostalgic. Connie
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Yellow Rose
    I grew up in Texas (don't live there any more) but I've always been partial to the Yellow Rose of Texas!

So bright and strong. Just thinking about them makes me smile. :)

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Seems like a lot of you like
    Seems like a lot of you like daisies! I love posts like this!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

I absolutely love Gardenias.
    I absolutely love Gardenias. They bloom in May, and rightly so because that is the month of mothers. They also remind me of my mom. My gardenia bush died :(, but I have a friend who shares her blooms with me each season.

I love daisies too! Mine
    I love daisies too! Mine are just getting ready to bloom!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Yellow roses
    and Peonies. Just because.

Sue
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Yellow roses
    and Peonies. Just because.

Sue

Peppermint carnations
    They were my grandfathers favorite flower. Also they are a simple flower that looks good even when they get a little past their prime. roses are a cliche and they don't look good unless their perfect.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Gardenias
    I just love the smell of Gardenias. I am always looking for lotions and candles with that scent.
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ladyg said:

Gardenias
    I just love the smell of Gardenias. I am always looking for lotions and candles with that scent.

Jasmin e
    I love jasmine, I look forward to early spring because the jasmine bush in my back yard begins to bloom at that time. I love the smell of jasmine and I love the little flowers. I have sons but I love the flower so much I would have named a daughter Jasmine. I now have a cat named Jasmine go figure.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

Jasmin e
    I love jasmine, I look forward to early spring because the jasmine bush in my back yard begins to bloom at that time. I love the smell of jasmine and I love the little flowers. I have sons but I love the flower so much I would have named a daughter Jasmine. I now have a cat named Jasmine go figure.

My Fav's~~
    ~~are HollyHocks because they are tall and tissue paper thin (at times) and such an array of colors available.
    Also, love peonies too! So fragrant.
    A couple of years ago, right after some treatment, my sister and I stayed at a B&B in Canada and she took watch, while I "swiped" some hollyhock seed pods out of the "English Garden" at the B&B.....I await their blooming in my yard each spring~~heehee. They are soft yellow.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options

My Fav's~~
    ~~are HollyHocks because they are tall and tissue paper thin (at times) and such an array of colors available.
    Also, love peonies too! So fragrant.
    A couple of years ago, right after some treatment, my sister and I stayed at a B&B in Canada and she took watch, while I "swiped" some hollyhock seed pods out of the "English Garden" at the B&B.....I await their blooming in my yard each spring~~heehee. They are soft yellow.

roses,in a deep shade of
    roses,in a deep shade of red.
    because my grandad and i always loved them and they remind me of him (he passed away from cancer when i was 19 and we were so close).

He used to grow them under his front window and i used to be allowed to cut one. We used deeep red roses in his funeral flowers,and i chose them for my wedding bouquet. I also lay them at my grandads grave site.

So for me.....deep red roses =)
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    baby roses, any color
    I had a beautiful cascading bouquet of baby roses to carry down the aisle at my wedding years ago. And they are still my favorite flower. To me they represent innocence, peace and love.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I don't have "A" favorite flower.
    IF I had to say one - Tulips! (They are the first flower I remeber seeing in the spring the first year we were in France)

BUT they aren't far ahead of roses (smell so good), gardenias (Smell so good and pretty white), rhodies/azalea, pansys, sweet peas, larkspur, delphinium, daffys, hollyhocks,

In flowereing trees - Royal Poincianna and Jacarnda (Probably spelled both wrong).

Pansies! They have the prettiest colors and the cutest faces. Hope I spelled that right! LOL

♥ Kristin ♥
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Roses are my all time
    Roses are my all time favorite. My grandparents had a hugh rose garden when I was young and I remember walking through the rose garden enjoying the smell of the colorful roses. It still brings a smile when I think back to that rose garden.
    I also like Hollyhocks.:)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

daisies! I love to go down
    daisies! I love to go down into my Dad's hay meadow in the late spring because of all the daisies. They're the happiest most innocent little flower, and I love how they just spring up like "hey, here we are! just happy to be here!" Love 'em :)

You have a great sense of
    You have a great sense of humor Emily! I miss your Star Trek postings.

Going to bring them back?

I love daisies too!