Options

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options

Hi Heatherbelle,
    So sorry to

Hi Heatherbelle,
    So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. This is a wonderful place to come ask for advise, ask for prayers or just sit back and read sometimes. Everyone here will help you in any way they can, including myself, although sometimes I am off for days. I do try and catch up. LOL
    We have all fought the battle and will be glad to guide you through.
    My prayers are already on the way.
    Best of Luck,
    Wanda

Welcome! I am so sorry to
    Welcome! I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I believe that if you have a positive attitude and try to keep your life as normal as before your diagnosis, you will be much stronger during your treatment. I will be going through chemo for a 2nd time, so i know what is ahead for me. Take care, and ask us any questions..
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Rolling Out the Pink Carpet...
    Welcome!!!

I was diagnosed at 39 and have two young daughters ages 9 and 6.

I'm on the tail end of my double mastectomy on 9-9-09 and going through the reconstruction process now.

I was so glad to find this site too.

Everyone here is my Invisi-Sister! :)

Welcome, welcome!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Heatherbelle
    I am on my second primary, but wanted to offer you hope. I was diagnosed in 1994 at age 34. my daughters were 3years old and 8 months old. I was diagnosed while breastfeeding. I just saw my first one off to college. Have faith. you will get lots of great info here and support. everyone is always pushing each other out of the way to help. (in a good way). wonderful group of men and women. I keep forgetting I have never really met them they are so wonderful.
    Mimi's suggestion is right, when I was diagnosed the internet didnt have all this. I dont even know if there was an internet, I certainly didnt have a computer. I felt alone, Each age presents withits own set of issues and its been prescreened by MiMI !!
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Welcome
    Ditto with the others. Sorry that you also had to find join, but it's a great site. To me, one of the best that I found. I've only been here for 1 month since I was first diagnosed and it's just been a wealth of info. A lot of great people here to learn from and get support when you need it.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Welcome
    So sorry to hear your news, but glad you found us, Heatherbelle.

Hey Heather! Just adding my
    Hey Heather! Just adding my welcome to you, though sorry for the reason!

Hugs, Megan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Welcome
    So sorry to hear your news, but glad you found us, Heatherbelle.

Hey Heather! Just adding my
    Hey Heather! Just adding my welcome to you, though sorry for the reason!

Hugs, Megan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome Heatherbelle!
    I was diagnosed with bc in Oct 09...and i just found this site about 2 weeks ago...so im a newbie too:) I only wished i would of found this site sooner cuz i didnt know anybody with bc either and had no idea what to expect or anyone to compare notes with and nobody could really understand what i was going through...even though i did have alot of support from my family and friends.
    Everyone in here has been great, they understand exactly what were going through with lots of compassion cuz they have all been there.
    Im just sorry you have to go through this long journey! Best of luck!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Welcome Heatherbelle, as
    Welcome Heatherbelle, as others have said I am sorry you have the need for this board, but glad you found it. I have not been here long diagnosed in Jan. 10 You will find a lot of wonderful people here and the information you can get a great help. I had a lumpectomy in March have 1 chemo trt. left then radiation. I know you will hear this more than once but this is very doable. I have not been sick at all from chem just some fatigue. Take someone with you to your appts. you will get tons of info and you will not be able to rememeber it all. Keep us posted on what is happening. Prayers coming your way God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Welcome Heatherbelle! Glad
    Welcome Heatherbelle! Glad you found this board as everyone here will help you with whatever you might need. I had a lumpectomy with radiation treatments. No chemo as my node was clear.

I am sending you cyber hugs and positive thoughts!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Rolling Out the Pink Carpet...
    Welcome!!!

I was diagnosed at 39 and have two young daughters ages 9 and 6.

I'm on the tail end of my double mastectomy on 9-9-09 and going through the reconstruction process now.

I was so glad to find this site too.

Everyone here is my Invisi-Sister! :)

Welcome, welcome!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

Welcome Heather! You have
    Welcome Heather! You have found a group of survivors that will guide and help you thru your treatments. We are here for your emotional support and to give you our own personal experiences and help.

Hugs, Leeza
  • jnl
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Heather
    I was diagnosed in 2008 at age 34, too. I know this can be an overwhelming time for you, but please continue to reach out. I would also like to invite you to stop by www.youngsurvival.org and click on "bulletin boards" to chat with women under the age of 40 who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. There are many there (as here) with young children and there is wide coverage of many issues paticularly faced by us younger women with breast cancer. You are not alone. I'll be turning 36 in August and feel great. You will get there, too. Hugs and best wishes.

Mimi

The site that Mimivac
    The site that Mimivac mentioned for women diagnosed under 40 is a good site too!

Leeza
  • jnl
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Heather
    I was diagnosed in 2008 at age 34, too. I know this can be an overwhelming time for you, but please continue to reach out. I would also like to invite you to stop by www.youngsurvival.org and click on "bulletin boards" to chat with women under the age of 40 who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. There are many there (as here) with young children and there is wide coverage of many issues paticularly faced by us younger women with breast cancer. You are not alone. I'll be turning 36 in August and feel great. You will get there, too. Hugs and best wishes.

Mimi

The site that Mimivac
    The site that Mimivac mentioned for women diagnosed under 40 is a good site too!

Leeza
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Welcome, heatherbelle.
    Your

Welcome, heatherbelle.
    Your picture is so beautiful and shows such a positive attitude..that will help you go through all of this! Best wishes,
    Brenda
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options

Welcome, heatherbelle.
    Your

Welcome, heatherbelle.
    Your picture is so beautiful and shows such a positive attitude..that will help you go through all of this! Best wishes,
    Brenda

you are all awesome!
    Wow thank you all so much! I haven't had a chance until now to get online and your responses are overwhelming (in a good way!). The day I got the news from my Dr was the worst-but I woke up the next morning feeling positive & knowing that I have alot of work ahead of me, but nothing I can't handle. I am lucky to have a great group of close girlfriends, and a very supportive family, that is really helping me stay sane :) So what I know so far is, the size of my cancer is about 1.5 cm. I'm now facing the decision of having a lumpectomy or mastectomy. I'm seeing my Dr again a week from today to make that decision & get it scheduled, but before that I'm seeing the Oncologist and also a plastic surgeon. I feel I need to get all my questions answered by the different doctors before I make such a big decision. Also, the having no health insurance is such a big issue, so I've been making the calls and getting the paperwork for medicaid, so staying busy is definately helping me also. Thank you all once again for your welcome and support, it means alot to me and I'm sure will help me through this journey!
    Heather
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

you are all awesome!
    Wow thank you all so much! I haven't had a chance until now to get online and your responses are overwhelming (in a good way!). The day I got the news from my Dr was the worst-but I woke up the next morning feeling positive & knowing that I have alot of work ahead of me, but nothing I can't handle. I am lucky to have a great group of close girlfriends, and a very supportive family, that is really helping me stay sane :) So what I know so far is, the size of my cancer is about 1.5 cm. I'm now facing the decision of having a lumpectomy or mastectomy. I'm seeing my Dr again a week from today to make that decision & get it scheduled, but before that I'm seeing the Oncologist and also a plastic surgeon. I feel I need to get all my questions answered by the different doctors before I make such a big decision. Also, the having no health insurance is such a big issue, so I've been making the calls and getting the paperwork for medicaid, so staying busy is definately helping me also. Thank you all once again for your welcome and support, it means alot to me and I'm sure will help me through this journey!
    Heather

Hi Heather
    You sound so positive Heather and that is half the battle. Stay positive and focus on getting through your treatments!

Let us know what your oncologist and surgeon says and what you decide.

We are here for you!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Hi Heather
    Hi,I am so sorry you need to come to this sight.but I welcome you with open arms.I have finished my treatments,and I am taking tamoxifin for 5 years.this sight helped me so much.The people on here are wonderful.I don,t know if I would have got through it without their help.One of the girls wrotte to give yourself time to cry and grieve.But then pull your big girl pantys up and kick Cancers But.I have a daughter your age.Please keep us posted.Love and Prayers.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

thanks
    Thank you, and yes, I'm pretty careful about the web info that I'm checking out. It's nice here because alot of the questions I've had, I've read many threads on here dealing with the same thing.
    Thank you again :)

I also would like to welcome
    I also would like to welcome you Heather. I am sorry that you have bc.

This is a very supportive and welcoming group of bc survivors.

Take care, Diane
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Heather

Mimi

So sorry Heather. The
    So sorry Heather. It always is so much sadder when bc is with someone so young.

I wish you the best of luck with your treatments. Please update us when you feel you can.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Hi Heather
    Hi,I am so sorry you need to come to this sight.but I welcome you with open arms.I have finished my treatments,and I am taking tamoxifin for 5 years.this sight helped me so much.The people on here are wonderful.I don,t know if I would have got through it without their help.One of the girls wrotte to give yourself time to cry and grieve.But then pull your big girl pantys up and kick Cancers But.I have a daughter your age.Please keep us posted.Love and Prayers.

Thank you! I'm so glad that
    Thank you! I'm so glad that I found this wonderful network of you all here- I have no family history, and I don't know anyone personally who has had breast cancer. I do have a very close aunt (i call her my "Otha Motha") who is a lung cancer survivor, and has been my fairy godmother through all of this so far. I'm not a very emotional person, at all! But the first day I just let myself cry and cry -I cried to my doctor, i cried with my husband, i cried to my mom, and i cried to my best friends. I took a xanax and went to bed at 7:00 that night, and I woke up the next morning with a new calmness and a readiness to get busy, and really, a ton of strength that I did not know I possessed. I had to tell my 9 year old daughter, who had been at my parent's house during my appointment and stayed the night. If I would have been crying and all upset when I told her I knew it would just make it more difficult for her. I have been thanking God for both of my babies since the time I knew I was pregnant with each one, but now especially I do, because I'm getting my strength through my love for them. They need their mama, and I'm not going to let cancer or anything else get in the way of that. I know I have a long hard road ahead of me, and I'm pretty sure I won't always have the positive attitude that I do now at the beginning, but for now, I'm ok, big girl panties pulled up and ready to get to work ;)
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Dear Heatherbelle,
    I was diagnosed with BC in March. I had a Lumpectomy with excision of sentinal nodes (6) on St Patrick's day of this year. My mass was 6mm in size. My lymph nodes were negative and the margins clear.I completed my Radiation treatments last Friday. My tumor was positive for estrogen and progesterone.I begin treatment with Arimidex (hormone receptor blocker) at the end of the month.
    Just to let you know that we are here to support you, make you laugh and assist in any way that we can. Glad you found this discussion board. Sorry you have to go through this at such a young age. You are about the age of my son and daughter.
    Here are a few suggestions:
    Take one day at a time. This journey can be tough but it is do-able. It has it's painful moments as well as, opportunites for growth.
    Keep a journal and write down your questions between your appontments. Don't be afraid to ask your doctors and the nurses anything. There are no silly questions.
    Allow your family and friends to support you. Allow them to help you. Ask for help when you need it.Prioritize and don't sweat the small stuff.
    Beginning the day you are diagnosed, living with BC can be an emotional roller coaster. Be gentle with yourself and ride each emotion like a wave,it will come and go.
    Get plenty of rest and make sure you fit in sometime for yourself each day (I know how hard this can be with small children).
    Remember that each of us is unique and we won't share all the same symptoms or side effects but we will share common feelings, experiences and concerns.
    Please, keep us updated on your progress. Wishing you all the best.
    Hugs, K
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm so glad that I found this wonderful network of you all here- I have no family history, and I don't know anyone personally who has had breast cancer. I do have a very close aunt (i call her my "Otha Motha") who is a lung cancer survivor, and has been my fairy godmother through all of this so far. I'm not a very emotional person, at all! But the first day I just let myself cry and cry -I cried to my doctor, i cried with my husband, i cried to my mom, and i cried to my best friends. I took a xanax and went to bed at 7:00 that night, and I woke up the next morning with a new calmness and a readiness to get busy, and really, a ton of strength that I did not know I possessed. I had to tell my 9 year old daughter, who had been at my parent's house during my appointment and stayed the night. If I would have been crying and all upset when I told her I knew it would just make it more difficult for her. I have been thanking God for both of my babies since the time I knew I was pregnant with each one, but now especially I do, because I'm getting my strength through my love for them. They need their mama, and I'm not going to let cancer or anything else get in the way of that. I know I have a long hard road ahead of me, and I'm pretty sure I won't always have the positive attitude that I do now at the beginning, but for now, I'm ok, big girl panties pulled up and ready to get to work ;)

If you draw strength from
    If you draw strength from your children, I think that is just great! You will fight this and you will win! Don't ever doubt that Heather!

Sue :)
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options

Welcome Heatherbelle!
    Sorry

Welcome Heatherbelle!

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Hope that your treatment goes well. Check back
    and let us know how everything is going! Tux