Lupron shot

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Yesterday, I went in for my lupron (anti-estrogen) shot. Yes, a shot!!! It took all of 5 seconds, and felt so strange to not go down to the chemo room for a 4 hour infusion. My doctor talked me into getting lupron, as he says he has had more success with it than Femara. Just personal preference, so I went with it. Either way, I don't have high expectations for this to work, but it is nice to have a chemo break for a month or two!

I told my doctor about my "hari" (needle) experience and some other things I was doing to build my immune system. He was very encouraging and said, "Go for it, and believe it will work!!" It was cute, as I know he really is not an "alternative med" guy, but was really trying to give me hope.

The good news is, I have lost a couple pounds, and I'm not even trying. It seems that I had some fluid build up from 9 months of chemo and that is slowly draining off. (It has been 5 weeks since my last infusion.) I realize now that part of my discomfort in my feet was not the neuropathy, but water retention.

Chemo break, here I come!!!

Hugs all around,
kathleen

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    good news
    Kathleen,

You sound upbeat about this alternative treatment. I never heard of hari. What is it? I did take Lupron injections when I did IVF in 2002. I had no side effects. My Dad has had prostate cancer for several years. He is managed with Lupron injections when his PSA rises. He hates the side effects. Hot flashes, development of 'breast'.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Hugs from MN
    Glad to read your upbeat attitude.. I know they say attitude makes a difference, especially in living life to the fullest. Will be waiting to hear how the drug is working. Love Ya Bonnie
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

good news
    Kathleen,

You sound upbeat about this alternative treatment. I never heard of hari. What is it? I did take Lupron injections when I did IVF in 2002. I had no side effects. My Dad has had prostate cancer for several years. He is managed with Lupron injections when his PSA rises. He hates the side effects. Hot flashes, development of 'breast'.

GOOD LUCK!!

Hari
    is needle treatment. They often stick several needles into hot spots in your muscle, to treat pain usually. My doctor only uses one, and I still am not a believer, but with only two treatments I feel so much better.

Yes, lupron is usually used for prostate cancer, and I was surprised to hear my doctor recommend it. I did find some research on it, and decided to go for it. I think not doing anything when you have active disease is too stressful.

I am just so happy to not be pumping myself full of toxins for a month or two.