special precautions

Scared but Hopeful
Scared but Hopeful Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
I have an odd question. But I am newly diagnosed and am trying to get my questions answered as they pop into my head. With thyroid cancer,do you have to wear a medical bracelet that would alarm EMT's that you are a thyroid cancer patient.

Comments

• Towdart
    Towdart Member Posts: 2
    No one ever told me I had to
    No one ever told me I had to med bracelet when I went through thyroid cancer. The biggest precaution was giving me a doctor's note when I had radiation in case I set metal detectors off.
  • Towdart
    Towdart Member Posts: 2
    No one ever told me I had to
    No one ever told me I had to med bracelet when I went through thyroid cancer. The biggest precaution was giving me a doctor's note when I had radiation in case I set metal detectors off.
  • nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505 Member
    nope dont need a bracelet.

myself i have had my thryoid completly removed now and i have finished my first radiation treatment (hopefully only)

1) before your thyroid is removed a thyroid cancer probably will not be something causeing an emergency and probaly not part of the solution
    2) after removal and before radiation its mostly what meds you are on and the surgical site is kinda obvious to EMT personell
    3) during iradated time (this is the only time i can see a concern if you think you might need to go to emergency room then yes you need to tell them (or have someone else tell them) that you are undergoing radiation treatment so they can put you farther away from people and not have you in the waiting room and such.
    4) after the radiation treatment.... well 1 the surgical site scar is pretty obvious.. 2 you can go days without thyroid replacement so thats not an issue.

while i had an enlarged thyroid (before it was diagnosed as cancer) I had to go to the emergency room by ambiluance and they told me that the condition i had was probaly caused by the thyroid but they didnt want to jump to its thyroid caused cause it could have been a few other issues and they didnt want to risk my life by jumping to oh its just the thyroid causing it.

so yes they should know you have thyroid cancer if you are able to tell them but make sure if you have a problem they dont just go oh its just your thyroid causing that
  • Scared but Hopeful
    Scared but Hopeful Member Posts: 10
    nasher said:

myself i have had my thryoid completly removed now and i have finished my first radiation treatment (hopefully only)

1) before your thyroid is removed a thyroid cancer probably will not be something causeing an emergency and probaly not part of the solution
    2) after removal and before radiation its mostly what meds you are on and the surgical site is kinda obvious to EMT personell
    3) during iradated time (this is the only time i can see a concern if you think you might need to go to emergency room then yes you need to tell them (or have someone else tell them) that you are undergoing radiation treatment so they can put you farther away from people and not have you in the waiting room and such.
    4) after the radiation treatment.... well 1 the surgical site scar is pretty obvious.. 2 you can go days without thyroid replacement so thats not an issue.

while i had an enlarged thyroid (before it was diagnosed as cancer) I had to go to the emergency room by ambiluance and they told me that the condition i had was probaly caused by the thyroid but they didnt want to jump to its thyroid caused cause it could have been a few other issues and they didnt want to risk my life by jumping to oh its just the thyroid causing it.

so yes they should know you have thyroid cancer if you are able to tell them but make sure if you have a problem they dont just go oh its just your thyroid causing that

that's all I wanted to know
    I just wasn't sure for emergencies if there was something they had to be aware of. Well, that's good. I would have hated to have to wear a bracelet. I'm scheduled for my total thyroidectomy on tuesday. Got my fingers crossed. I'm glad you made it through your treatment. I'm hoping I will only need one as well. One thing at a time I guess... I'll worry about the surgery first. Thanks again for the info!
  • nasher
    nasher Member Posts: 505 Member

that's all I wanted to know
    I just wasn't sure for emergencies if there was something they had to be aware of. Well, that's good. I would have hated to have to wear a bracelet. I'm scheduled for my total thyroidectomy on tuesday. Got my fingers crossed. I'm glad you made it through your treatment. I'm hoping I will only need one as well. One thing at a time I guess... I'll worry about the surgery first. Thanks again for the info!

glad i could help
    its still

glad i could help

its still a day by day recovery for me.. I am working just fine and my medical apointments are easyer to get scheduled and such.

but for me at least its still recovering physicaly.. Before this i worked out 1-2 hours a day 5+ days a week... i am now back up to about 45 min 4 or so times a week and still tired.

yes worry about each thing as they come up and remember this is a great place to get answers from others who have gone through similar things.

good luck on your surgery