Extreme Fatigue

Options
cfight
cfight Member Posts: 69
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My father started his second line of treatment last Thursday. He has experience extreme fatigue -- can't even get out of bed. I know it's not depression because he's had a great attitude about this. He's had fatigue over the past 6 months, but not this bad. My mom took him to the cancer center and his blood work was normal. He did receive fluids which made him feel a little better. I saw that some doctor's have prescribed ADHD drug Adderall. I'm also wondering if he should be getting fluids IN BETWEEN treatments vs. every treatment.

I would love to hear how people have addressed extreme fatigue issues.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hi Cfight
    Glad to be hearing

Hi Cfight
    Glad to be hearing from you! I would agree with you about the hydration. I think it is needed before, during, and after treatments. Being dehydrated can do a lot of damage to the body. You become very tired, weak, unable to concentrate, dizzy etc. My husband is adderall for adult attention deficit disorder. It does make him focus and concentrate more, but it also an appetite suppressant. He is only hungry at night for dinner. I would not want anyone with cancer to not have their appetite. My dad's dr prescribed lexapro. It was for anxiety and depression. Good luck in your search for answers! Keep your eye on that hydration. Hugs to you and your dad.
    Tina
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    Hydration in between treatments can be a great help
    I am currently completing a six round chemo regimen and I find even though I attempt to drink water and other fluids as much as possible I get very dehydrated, particularly the first few days after a treatment. I have found that if I weigh myself in the evening prior to going to bed and then weigh myself when I get up in the morning I will be 2 pounds lighter. I believe a lot of that is fluid loss. There seems to be something about the chemo drugs I get that seems to draw fluid from my body.

After the first three rounds I was at a point that I could barely walk into the hospital on my own to get my treatments.

I started getting fluids prior to each treatment and then mid week of the first week of my treatment cycle. It has made a significant difference in how I feel.

My regimen includes Cisplatin, Epirubicin, and 5 FU every 21 days. I get the Cisplatin, and Epirubicin in week one and then 5 FU via infusion pump continually during the second and third week of the cycle.

I have read on the board that some people can arrange to get IV hydration at home. That would be ideal since I have to drive into the hospital and then sit there for four hours while the IV runs. If you could arrange for a home nurse to administer the IV or do it yourself it would be much easier on your father.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    AKA: "paul61"
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • cfight
    cfight Member Posts: 69
    Options
    paul61 said:

Hydration in between treatments can be a great help
    I am currently completing a six round chemo regimen and I find even though I attempt to drink water and other fluids as much as possible I get very dehydrated, particularly the first few days after a treatment. I have found that if I weigh myself in the evening prior to going to bed and then weigh myself when I get up in the morning I will be 2 pounds lighter. I believe a lot of that is fluid loss. There seems to be something about the chemo drugs I get that seems to draw fluid from my body.

After the first three rounds I was at a point that I could barely walk into the hospital on my own to get my treatments.

I started getting fluids prior to each treatment and then mid week of the first week of my treatment cycle. It has made a significant difference in how I feel.

My regimen includes Cisplatin, Epirubicin, and 5 FU every 21 days. I get the Cisplatin, and Epirubicin in week one and then 5 FU via infusion pump continually during the second and third week of the cycle.

I have read on the board that some people can arrange to get IV hydration at home. That would be ideal since I have to drive into the hospital and then sit there for four hours while the IV runs. If you could arrange for a home nurse to administer the IV or do it yourself it would be much easier on your father.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    AKA: "paul61"
    McCormick, South Carolina

Thanks Paul and Tina! I
    Thanks Paul and Tina! I think that's the way we need to go! My father is on the Cisplatin and 5 FU along with another drug -- I forget the name at the moment. I appreciate the the confirmation from both of you. Sending strength and positive thoughts your way!!

Carolyn
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Options
    cfight said:

Thanks Paul and Tina! I
    Thanks Paul and Tina! I think that's the way we need to go! My father is on the Cisplatin and 5 FU along with another drug -- I forget the name at the moment. I appreciate the the confirmation from both of you. Sending strength and positive thoughts your way!!

Carolyn

Carolyn,
    My father, who is

Carolyn,

My father, who is 78, would find that he would have to nap at least twice a day and just couldn't keep up with his normal very active rountine. Then sometime in the early evening he would just collapse into bed and lay there for about an hour before going to sleep. He said it was like he had no strength left in any part of his body to move anything. It was like his body was demanding that he stop and let it catch up.

I know that when they added the radiation (daily M-F) to his once a week chemo cocktail of Taxol and carboplatin (he couldn't take cisplatin because he is diabetic and the docs were worried that it would put too much stress on his kidneys), he really became dehydrated easily and the fatigue got worse. And he didn't eat enough - so make sure you dad is not only pushing fluids but getting as much nutrition and protein as possible.

It sure is tough to see our dads go through this but keep the faith and speak up when you need to --- I know sometimes my mom gets mad at me because she thinks I cause to many waves but believe me if we don't speak up for them the medical staff is not likely to --- they have too many patients and he who speaks up and doesn't go away does go to the top of the list :)

One last thing and I don't know if your dad is so inclined but if you can get him to do a mini routine with small weights or a resistance band to keep up his upper and lower body strength, even if he only does the rountine for 15 minutes a day it can make a big difference. If your dad isn't one to exercise perhaps you could get a physical therapist at the hospital to do a routine for him. They gave my dad a personal trainer for a week to show him how to do the routine and that has made a big difference because after the week my dad said wow this does make me feel better. I am teasing him now that he is goig to go on one of those shows with a new six-pack. If your dad is already doing those type of exercises then great.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesistate to send me a personal message.

Best,
    Cindy
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator