A Decision to be made

Options
froggy1
froggy1 Member Posts: 205
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello ladies,
I have a difficult decision to make. My oncologist, who did my surgery, is retiring this month. I have to choose a new doc in the group. The one who has the most experience has a very bad bedside manner, so I'm told.. I experienced him once in the hospital and he was pretty nasty. The other Docs are very nice, but do not have as much experience. I know a lot of young docs are really sharp, but I don't know what to do. Any opinions???
Thanks, Froggy

Comments

• Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Dear Froggy
    This is a very TOUGH decision. Here's how I see it boiling down: Nasty doctor vs. Nicer less experience. Sometimes less experience means more enthusiasm and less burnout. Who does your current doctor think you would be best matched with?

When I am stuck with these decisions..50/50. I do the old flip a coin. Heads: Nasty man
    Tails: nicer/less experience. Generally, I find that when I flip that coin, I am hoping for one or the other to fall and then I know what I really want. Probably dumb advice.

You know what, I can't imagine having a nasty doctor for anything, much less cancer. Sometimes, just a friendly supportive voice is what I want/need. They can always consult with nasty man. Medicine is tricky. But your doctor should be your best coach and advisor. I don't think nasty man can be that.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much to
    I don't have too much to offer. I know I like to feel at ease asking questions. I may feel a bit intimidated by a nasty person so I may not be as likely to ask questions. Maybe as mentioned above...the nasty doctor can be consulted.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    choosing doctors
    Hi Froggy, tough question. Do you like your medical team up until now, and would like to stay with the same hosptial/clinic? (Switching to another hospital is a hassle but not impossible.......) If you have decided to stay where you are, I would choose the younger doctor. He will be wanting to "climb the ladder" and will work really hard to give you the best treatment, and if he needs advice, "gets stuck", he will consult with the senior doctor. That way, you will look forward to seeing your doctor and not be dreading a nasty attitude every time you have to go in or consult.
    My two cents,
    kathleen
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    kayandok said:

choosing doctors
    Hi Froggy, tough question. Do you like your medical team up until now, and would like to stay with the same hosptial/clinic? (Switching to another hospital is a hassle but not impossible.......) If you have decided to stay where you are, I would choose the younger doctor. He will be wanting to "climb the ladder" and will work really hard to give you the best treatment, and if he needs advice, "gets stuck", he will consult with the senior doctor. That way, you will look forward to seeing your doctor and not be dreading a nasty attitude every time you have to go in or consult.
    My two cents,
    kathleen

Nice doctor
    Going to hospital in itself is a stressful thing, so if you have a nice doctor who can put you at ease much better.

I agree with everyone else, a young doctor will be on the ball and will always consult to make sure he/she is giving you the best consult.

Hope all goes well, Tina xx
  • froggy1
    Options
    kayandok said:

choosing doctors
    My two cents,
    kathleen

Thank you
    Thanks for all the responses,
    I had my appointment this morning with my current Doc and talked him into dropping my last maintenance chemo in July. SO, I will get a "final" PET/CT in two weeks, then have a final good-bye meeting with him the last week in June. The result being I didn't have to make the decision today. My husband is out of town, so hopefully he can go to this meeting with me and give his imput.
    I think I'm leaning to the "nice" doctor. She has helped me in the past, when on call, and has been very "on the money" with her procedures. The doc who did my emergency bowel resection in November was also one of the younger guys and did a bang-up job.... One of my chemo friends described the older doc as a pain in the you know what.
    My CA125 is hanging in there at 6- Yeah!
    As far as switching practices, there aren't many to choose from and I like the one-stop shopping idea. I don't have a separate oncologist, chemo doc, etc. The chemo is in the same office and they all talk to each other. If you need anything, they can just grab a doc, a precription, or whatever. The nurses are super nice.
    I think this is a classic dilemma. Many brilliant Doc can't relate to patients.

Thanks again for imput, Ginny
  • eward
    eward Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Where are you located? If
    Where are you located? If in the Chicago area, I know of some highly regarded docs.
  • froggy1
    Options
    eward said:

Where are you located? If in the Chicago area, I know of some highly regarded docs.

Thanks for offer
    I am not near Chicago, I am in Florida, but thank you for the offer...
  • eward said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator