Options
2»

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Unless I am misunderstanding
    Unless I am misunderstanding everyone's comments on the subject, I don't think that anyone here, or e the ACS, Komen, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, etc is advocating "celebrating being a survivor in the manner that suggests that this is behind me" while ignoring or otherwise turning a blind eye to the mortality rate and devastating effects of this BC Beast. Even those of us not with metastasis at this point do not take for granted the life we are living at this moment in time. We live in fear of every pending Drs appointment, we hyperventilate thinking about our mammograms or lab draws, not to mention any "different" aches/pains which could spell a change in our status.

Of course you have every right to feel as you do~ far be it from me to say you are wrong! Feelings are neither right or wrong; they are simply what they are! I wish none of us had been diagnosed, but we have been. I wish there were no need for an ACS, or discussion boards, but there is. It is a safe haven for us to express our feelings, and the feedback, camaraderie and empathy cannot be underestimated. I have been part of this online community since my diagnosis in 2003, and I cannot imagine being a survivor without the amazing men and women I have some to know on this site. I have had the honor of meeting many of the Survivor-Warriors in person, and yes, some of them have lost their battle and I still grieve those losses.

The Relay For Life isn't exclusionary~ all of us there acknowledge that in whatever place we are, physically or emotionally, we are bonded in the commonality of doing battle with the beast, and paying tribute to the fallen Kindred Spirits. I hope, that if you desire to join with hundreds or thousands of like minded warriors that you can find a venue which your heart can feel good about.

This cancer is a damnable best to be sure~ thank you for posting such a thought-provoking subject and giving us things to consider.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Well said!
    Thanks, Chen!

Hugs, Kathi
  • karinna
    karinna Member Posts: 42
    Options
    SIROD said:

Attitude has not one thing
    Attitude has not one thing to do with cellular biology. Cancer is physiology. You are correct with the hype of Komen's Pink washing survivors, not acknowledging that 41,000 women still die of the disease each year, it's no wonder people believe we have a cure. We are a long ways from a cure. Komen's web site finally acknowledge advanced breast cancer, but there isn't much posting on it. I've read that those with Stage IV can not speak at these races.

I've been online in forums since 1997, every one of the ladies, I knew with stage IV died. One lady that helped me so much over the years died last September, but she was in her 33 year since diagnose. A slow growing cancer and not every women is blessed with that condition.

Good luck to you and thank you for acknowledging my point. I am living not dying with metastasis breast cancer.

Hello, Sirod. First, I'm
    Hello, Sirod. First, I'm very sorry to hear about your bc. I was stage 3 so I can't fully understand what it would be like to hear stage 4. I can imagine, though, that it would be even more devastating.

I have found my study about attitude and illness to be very interesting. I believe there is a direct link between our attitude, the chemicals secreted from the brain as a result of thought, attitude and emotion, and the potential threat to our immune system. In case you are interested, the work of Dr. Caroline Leaf is very helpful.

I wish you the best.

Karinna
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    KathiM said:

Well said!
    Thanks, Chen!

Hugs, Kathi

You are right Karinna!
    You are so right Karinna! There is a strong correlation between your mental attitude and your physical well being. If you want to beat cancer and you want to live, fight it with all that you can and fight it everyday. But, you also have to live your life to the fullest. You have to no longer take anything for granted. None of us have a tag or a stamp on us with an expiration date..none of us.

So, be smart about your treatments and enjoy each and everyday.

You are a survivor if you want to be and when you want to be.

Hugs, Megan
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Megan M said:

You are right Karinna!
    You are so right Karinna! There is a strong correlation between your mental attitude and your physical well being. If you want to beat cancer and you want to live, fight it with all that you can and fight it everyday. But, you also have to live your life to the fullest. You have to no longer take anything for granted. None of us have a tag or a stamp on us with an expiration date..none of us.

So, be smart about your treatments and enjoy each and everyday.

You are a survivor if you want to be and when you want to be.

Hugs, Megan

Positivity
    I too am sorry that you have had to face this in your mirror. I understand what you are saying, it isn't easy no matter how you look at it. I too have known many women in the last 14 years who are stage four and have gone onto lead lives something they thought they would not do.
    In Canada we have Cancer Society walks for all kinds of cancer and actually there is a lap for survivors only. Quite a site with our blue sashes and also we have paper lanturns that have candles in them and we light them for those we have lost and when the sun goes down we light these and wow what a site to be seen. They go around and around the track and every year they grow but what a beautiful thing to remind us all of just how many we have lost and continue to loose.
    Survivorship comes in all forms and I think care givers and families are survivors since they too have had to carry their own feelings of fear. Your right we should be all inclusive and I am sorry you do not feel like you are apart of an amazing celebration that should shine the light on your amazing fight.
    Tara