Good Morning Everyone, I've made a decision and will stick with it.

Options
2»

Comments

• jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Cindy Ann said:

Thank You!
    You will also be in my prayers. I know when I make my choice and go into surgery I will not be alone. This site has proven that. You won't be alone either. We all will be praying for you. Let us know your surgery date. Also may the white light of the Holy Spirit surround you as do our prayers..

Blessings and hugs,
    Cindy Ann

I think my prayer today will

I think my prayer today will be that all of you find the support that you need from your husbands. You really need to make your decisions for yourselves and not be overly influenced by anyone else. I hope that you all have husbands like mine who didn't try to influence my decision and just wanted me to be comfortable with my decision and to know that it was the right thing for me.

Joyce
  • Cindy Ann
    Cindy Ann Member Posts: 101
    Options
    jk1952 said:

I think my prayer today will

I think my prayer today will be that all of you find the support that you need from your husbands. You really need to make your decisions for yourselves and not be overly influenced by anyone else. I hope that you all have husbands like mine who didn't try to influence my decision and just wanted me to be comfortable with my decision and to know that it was the right thing for me.

Joyce

I agree
    My husband at first could say nothing right. It took me weeks to figure out what was really bothering him. He was afraid and felt helpless. My big strong man felt anxiety a foreign feeling for him. I think we all need to look and listen closer to our men.I was so surprised after the type of work he does he would feel any anxiety.He and I talked long and hard about my choices. We both agreed if it was him he would do whatever he needed to live and I would do the same. I am very blessed with not only a husband who feels that way but 2 children who do too. So I hope as does Joyce you all have a loved one near you that lets you do what you have to do for you.Because in doing so he or she free's you up to make your choices with no fears of losing that person. We have fear enough about what we have to do without fear of a person not wanting us anymore over a body part missing or reconstructed in a different version of the original 1st born. We are not defined by our breasts we are defined by who we are as people and what we do when no else is looking.If a person loves you only for your body then that is not love. I think most men come around. Being a nurse I have seen some very crazy stuff. I think most men are just fixers and really don't know what to say or do. They have no control over this. I know since my diagnosis things change from day to day. I also know it will all work out for the best. Cindy Ann now getting off her soap box.I can't help myself.. I do agree with Joyce..
  • angelo2
    angelo2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Good for you and stay strong!
    Good for you, Rhonda! I am so proud of you for making your own decision. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago in my left breast. I had the left breast removed first; there was no cancer in the right breast. However, since my sister had died a year before that from ovarian cancer, I was tested for the BRCA gene, and tested positive for BRCA II which, of course, put me at higher risk for a second breast cancer (as well as ovarian cancer), so six months later I had my right breast removed -- a decision I have never regretted. I, too, did not want reconstruction. And I was stressed out over getting prosthesis. My wonderful and understanding husband of 28 years told me that I had choices as to what to do and that it didn't matter to him. So, I decided to just be flat chested which was a change from being a 40DD. I have to admit that I absolutely love it! But it has taken me 2 years to get used to my new body! It is indeed a journey, but you are strong enough to get through it! And as one of the other posts said, don't underestimate your husband or give up on him -- it's a journey for him also. Just take it one day at a time!

Anne
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Hugs and prayers!!

Hugs and prayers!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Ronda, I was happy to read
    Ronda, I was happy to read this morning that you have made your decision. That's actually the hardest part. There are plenty of ladies that have made the same decision and can provide guidance to you along the way. Now, concentrate on living and know that we are an army here and will get our sister through treatments and recovery. Take care.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    On your decision
    Dear Ronda,
    I am so glad that you have reached a decision that is right for you. No one can tell us what is "right" for us. The first weeks after diagnosis are the hardest because of all the decisions and new information that we must process while going through all the stages of grief regarding the Cancer diagnosis. I know you must feel relieved that you have the information you need and are making the best decision for you.
    I will keep you in my prayers and send positive thoughts your way on your journey through treatment and recovery. Keep your eye on the prize- living a full and happy life. Ask for help when needed and take good care of yourself.
    Hugs, K
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    KayNYC said:

On your decision
    Dear Ronda,
    I am so glad that you have reached a decision that is right for you. No one can tell us what is "right" for us. The first weeks after diagnosis are the hardest because of all the decisions and new information that we must process while going through all the stages of grief regarding the Cancer diagnosis. I know you must feel relieved that you have the information you need and are making the best decision for you.
    I will keep you in my prayers and send positive thoughts your way on your journey through treatment and recovery. Keep your eye on the prize- living a full and happy life. Ask for help when needed and take good care of yourself.
    Hugs, K

Dear Ronda,
    I am so happy to

Dear Ronda,

I am so happy to hear you have made a well informed choice.I believe you have mad e very WISE choice . I agree with doing everything in your power to prevent this disease coming back.

I had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in Feb and im 36 yrs of age. I was i high risk and i wanted also to do all i could for prevention.

I know you don't wish to reconstruct,but you can change your mind years down the line if you chose to.Its not limited to a year or 2.

i chose to have the tissue expanders in and am almost at the end of the expansion process.I will then wait about 3 months,then go in for them to swap out the expanders, for natuarl,teardrop shaped implants.

The expansion process isn't so bad. I have put about 3 video's of my expansions on Youtube. My username on there is jkkj12 and if you search,you will find my account and my videos. You can see for yourself that it may not be as bad as you think =)

I will find the thread with the linkd to my videos in,and bunp it up to the top somewhere so you can copy and paste the link if it makes it easier.

Good luck with your surgey and we'll all be thinking of you

Kay
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    m-star said:

Dear Ronda,
    I am so happy to

Dear Ronda,

I am so happy to hear you have made a well informed choice.I believe you have mad e very WISE choice . I agree with doing everything in your power to prevent this disease coming back.

I had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in Feb and im 36 yrs of age. I was i high risk and i wanted also to do all i could for prevention.

I know you don't wish to reconstruct,but you can change your mind years down the line if you chose to.Its not limited to a year or 2.

i chose to have the tissue expanders in and am almost at the end of the expansion process.I will then wait about 3 months,then go in for them to swap out the expanders, for natuarl,teardrop shaped implants.

The expansion process isn't so bad. I have put about 3 video's of my expansions on Youtube. My username on there is jkkj12 and if you search,you will find my account and my videos. You can see for yourself that it may not be as bad as you think =)

I will find the thread with the linkd to my videos in,and bunp it up to the top somewhere so you can copy and paste the link if it makes it easier.

Good luck with your surgey and we'll all be thinking of you

Kay

Ronda
    I am glad that you have made your decision. I am sure you feel relived and at peace. Please keep posted.
    Good luck with your surgery.
    New Flower
  • LFS
    LFS Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats
    Glad you feel so positive about your decision. I just made the same decision myself! My surgery is scheduled for 6/29/10 .. but I'm still uncertain about reconstruction .. really leaning towards the TRAM flap .. but very nervous about whether I will notice a big difference in all of my activities ... skiing, running, golf, snow shoeing ... I feel guilty for even worrying about such things and not just being happy that they can get rid of the cancer! Well...Good Luck!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Ronda, good for you
    Ronda, good for you in making a very hard decision. I've been in the same mode for the past 3 weeks. GYN found my lump. Mammograms & ultrasound followed. Biopsy of right breast came back positive. Had breast MRI and was told the tumor was 6.8cm ER/PR+ and HER2-. Had MRI assisted biopsy of left breast lump and it is LCIS (precancerous). I had made the decision to have the bilateral mastectomies and my surgeon thought it best but now I'm wondering if insurance will pay for it unless my dr codes it as medically necessary. I can live with no boobs. I'm 61 and had 40DD. Yes, it will definitely be a change but oh well. Tomorrow I will be fitted for a camisole that has boob pockets and even a pocket for the drain. I met with plastic surgeon today to go over reconstruction options at a later date. He was wonderful and answered all my questions. Because of shoulder problems I am not a candidate for the flap. I also have balance and arthritis in my spine so the tummy flap is not an option either. He did say as long as radiation doesn't destroy tissue I could have implants. I plan on getting prostheses first and if I'm happy with those I probably won't opt for more surgery.

Has your surgery taken place yet? Mine is 6/22.
    Char