Question about Radiation okay...

Options
2»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Hi Ronda
    if your skin very dry you can start applying moisturizer now in advance. You can improve your skin condition before you start the radiation treatment. I am agree with Diane. I think you need to be more proactive and push to earlier surgery. July seems too far away, more than two months since your diagnosis.
    I was in similar situation 2 years ago. I was told by my breast surgeon that I need to push if I want to get on the schedule and I did. My advice to you do not wait, especially if you do not want to. Be your own advocate and try get your surgery as soon as possible.

Good luck,
    hugs,
    New Flower

I waited to have surgery a
    I waited to have surgery a couple of weeks and the thought was it made no difference. There is a thought that the time of the month you have your surgery makes a difference, I read that A LONG TIME AGO, and it wasnt used when I had amy surgery even then, dont know if that thought process figures into it at all.
    I am light skinned burn easily, and had the textbook, pinkness to redness. I applied aquaphor prior to radiation. some people say their oncs dont like this. ??? and I applied it diligently after. I still use it at night and aveeno during the day as the aquaphor does stain your clothes. I have radiation overlap on my sternum which I have been warned could cause a breakdown down the line so i will be diligent about moisturizing. for those with mastectomies it helps to keep the skin moist(during radiation) to help with the tightness.
  • jcs313
    jcs313 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiation
    I completed 7 weeks of radiation on April 30. I am 79 years old and about as white as you can find. It was very easy, I loved my radiation team and had tears in my eyes when it was over as I knew I would miss them both. We joked around a lot. My skin did not get dry, and it only turned a little pink. I had to see the radiation doctor once a week but he was only across the hall from the radiation room. I probably was a little more tired than usual but I hardly noticed it. I guess the hardest part was having to be there every day and then having to change into my smock for the treatment. Our local high school sewing students (and other groups) make smocks for cancer patients that have velcro down the front and down both sides so it makes it easier for all. I know you will have no problem with the radiation treatment and wish you the best.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    jcs313 said:

Radiation
    I completed 7 weeks of radiation on April 30. I am 79 years old and about as white as you can find. It was very easy, I loved my radiation team and had tears in my eyes when it was over as I knew I would miss them both. We joked around a lot. My skin did not get dry, and it only turned a little pink. I had to see the radiation doctor once a week but he was only across the hall from the radiation room. I probably was a little more tired than usual but I hardly noticed it. I guess the hardest part was having to be there every day and then having to change into my smock for the treatment. Our local high school sewing students (and other groups) make smocks for cancer patients that have velcro down the front and down both sides so it makes it easier for all. I know you will have no problem with the radiation treatment and wish you the best.

Oh my goodness jcs313
    You have only inspired me like no other, yes I will get through it and thank you for coming here to tell me your story!

Love Ronda

All of you people are the best anywhere!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness jcs313
    You have only inspired me like no other, yes I will get through it and thank you for coming here to tell me your story!

Love Ronda

All of you people are the best anywhere!

I had my first treatment
    I had my first treatment today. Not a big deal. I felt like I was in a Star Wars movie, with that machine rotating and making the R2D2 sounds. I was so glad I didn't have to have a needle thrust into a vein.
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options

I had my first treatment
    I had my first treatment today. Not a big deal. I felt like I was in a Star Wars movie, with that machine rotating and making the R2D2 sounds. I was so glad I didn't have to have a needle thrust into a vein.

Hi Ms Sunshine
    I can really relate...I had my first radiation today at 11 am. I'll go everyday at 10:30 am. I can do the machine with the buzzing sounds over a needle in my port any day! Can't wait until I finish so I can get this port out! 27 more to go!!!

rene9
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Thank you, Ronda
    I just want to say that I appreciate that you have the courage to ask all your questions. I am one of those who reads, and may make a comment, but am hesitant to ask questions. Because of some of the questions you have asked, and the answers given, I feel as tho I am in a better place as I start new chemo on Thursday. (I had finished in April and was supposed to have a mastectomy, but things got confused due to my doctors not being in agreement).

FYI, I don't have a choice in my treatment. With inflammatory breast cancer, you get chemo, followed by mastectomy, followed by radiation. Cannot have immediate reconstruction because radiation is required.

Again, thank you for asking all your questions, and sending much luck and prayers to you!

(((HUGS))))
    Heidi
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

Thank you, Ronda
    I just want to say that I appreciate that you have the courage to ask all your questions. I am one of those who reads, and may make a comment, but am hesitant to ask questions. Because of some of the questions you have asked, and the answers given, I feel as tho I am in a better place as I start new chemo on Thursday. (I had finished in April and was supposed to have a mastectomy, but things got confused due to my doctors not being in agreement).

FYI, I don't have a choice in my treatment. With inflammatory breast cancer, you get chemo, followed by mastectomy, followed by radiation. Cannot have immediate reconstruction because radiation is required.

Again, thank you for asking all your questions, and sending much luck and prayers to you!

(((HUGS))))
    Heidi

There is no absolute.
    with IBC or any other form! From what I've been told by my Drs (and have read), the usual protocol is to start with chemo. Then what follows is individual - I started with A/C, then had a mod. rad. mastectomy 2 weeks after the last A/C. 3 weeks after surgery I was back on chemo for 12 weekly doses of Taxol. The week after the last Taxol, I started 25 rads. Now I'm on Femara which I started about 2 seeks into rads.