My IP chemo went well!

Options
Karen9182
Karen9182 Member Posts: 60
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Had my first IP (cisplatin) wed. It was easier than I thought it would be. Mostly bloated and bored. My dr. Does an inpatient overnight for the cisplatin because of the need for hydration. The nurses pushed 3L saline-- IV then I was to drink an additional liter of water that night. There were no worries about the port, but the second nurse wished the first had used a longer needle. There were two hours where I had to remain reclined, and then rolled and tilted like a rotisserie chicken--I was pumped full of saline and ready for the job! I also rec'd taxol the day before (IV) and will receive more taxol next tues (IP). The plan is for 4 cycles in this manner. It's Friday night and I am following my anti nausea regimen to the letter--still need to drink 3 L water/day for the sext few days. My IP port was attached to my lowest rib for stability. A couple of the nurses had not seen that-- they were more used to seeing the port lower on the belly making it harder to access-- "like hitting target in Jello" one of then nurses observed. Thank you all for your support and advice. I was a bit antsy about this procedure. You wonderful women have a way of putting a nervous woman's mind to rest.
Blessings, prayers and healing thoughts to you all,
Karen

Comments

• pjdreams
    pjdreams Member Posts: 77
    Options
    so glad
    Karen,

I'm so glad to hear things went well for you. I've never had chemo administered this way but I'm sure your story gives hope and encouragement to others who may be facing this.

thanks for sharing and be well,

Paula
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    good to hear
    Karen, glad IP went okay for you. I have never had IP but have heard it can be rough but better prognosis for all who have even managed to get even one. Prayers Bonnie
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    BonnieR said:

good to hear
    Karen, glad IP went okay for you. I have never had IP but have heard it can be rough but better prognosis for all who have even managed to get even one. Prayers Bonnie

so glad
    I am so glad it went good for you
  • cptv8ing
    cptv8ing Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Described perfectly!
    I also had IP treatment with cisplatin and you described it perfectly. I always said I felt like I was being roasted with all the turning. My port was secured like yours, but I never knew why! Now I do. I am a stage IV and am just finishing my 3rd round of chemo and I can tell you that if you can handle cisplatin you can do anything! If you ever need to talk I am here and I've been there! cptv8ing@gmail! Melanie
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cptv8ing said:

Described perfectly!
    I also had IP treatment with cisplatin and you described it perfectly. I always said I felt like I was being roasted with all the turning. My port was secured like yours, but I never knew why! Now I do. I am a stage IV and am just finishing my 3rd round of chemo and I can tell you that if you can handle cisplatin you can do anything! If you ever need to talk I am here and I've been there! cptv8ing@gmail! Melanie

Melanie
    Hi Melanie,

I read your bio. Do you have kids? When were you diagnosed? How are you handling the carbo/gem? I am on the same regimen for my first recurrence. Doxil didn't work. I completed one cycle.
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Yipeeee!
    So glad to hear

Yipeeee!

So glad to hear everything went smoothly for you.

What a journey huh?

Sharon