Getting the message out

Options
leesag
leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Visit our facebook page and add your thoughts and ideas to this discussion:
(I had lots of time to think today, it was a chemo day!) Don't worry about hurting my feelings if you have other ideas, the more ideas we have, the more likely someone is to execute one of them!

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=174&uid=114755145226264

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    I think it's a great idea.
    I think it's a great idea. I may have a connection to a company that does silk screening. The tee shirts, I'm guessing, might be wholesale thru them. And they would give us a discount, at least, on the silk screening. The company is in California - husband's cousin and her daughter. They did a run of custom shirts for a family reunion and charged, I think, ten bucks each.

Let me make another suggestion (not as good, and not an "instead of" idea, but in addition to Lesa's). Each area has a local chapter of NOCC and each of those chapters has an annual "race". Seek out the chapter in your area (www.ovarian.org) and get a team together for the next race. Have tee shirts printed up (that's my plan for our chapter in Sept). Work with the group to secure media coverage. For example, part of our "show" will be a balloon launch. Anyone and everyone will be invited to write a message on a balloon, which will be launched with the others - a total of 2000 balloons. My job, thus far, has been coordinating this with the FAA and DFW airport, as our launch site is close to the airport.

The NOCC needs supporters and volunteers to help it grow. It has the potential, and a good basic set-up. But it could be much, much more. Think of the Susan G Komen Foundation. It started with ONE woman, who lost her sister to breast cancer.

By the way....I have flight benefits, so if any of you are planning to participate in any event that supports OVCA awareness, research, etc, just let me know and I will join you, if I can. And Lesa....I would love to do whatever I can to help with your video idea.

Carlene
  • pjdreams
    pjdreams Member Posts: 77
    Options
    education is the key
    Good suggestions all around. Educating women about the symptoms of ovarian cancer (and knowing your body) is so important. I'm participating in the Vince Lombardi 5K Walk/Run on June 19th. My company is sponsoring a team named the "Briggs Cancer Cutters".
    Unfortunately 3 folks in my department were diagnosed with cancer last year so they put us on the team t-shirts! Click on my photo and I'll try to include the photo.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.lombardiclassic.com/

Regards,

Paula
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Leesa good idea,
    I've

Leesa good idea,

I've responded on your facebook page!

I think your idea will fly.

Sharon
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I think it's a great idea.
    I think it's a great idea. I may have a connection to a company that does silk screening. The tee shirts, I'm guessing, might be wholesale thru them. And they would give us a discount, at least, on the silk screening. The company is in California - husband's cousin and her daughter. They did a run of custom shirts for a family reunion and charged, I think, ten bucks each.

Let me make another suggestion (not as good, and not an "instead of" idea, but in addition to Lesa's). Each area has a local chapter of NOCC and each of those chapters has an annual "race". Seek out the chapter in your area (www.ovarian.org) and get a team together for the next race. Have tee shirts printed up (that's my plan for our chapter in Sept). Work with the group to secure media coverage. For example, part of our "show" will be a balloon launch. Anyone and everyone will be invited to write a message on a balloon, which will be launched with the others - a total of 2000 balloons. My job, thus far, has been coordinating this with the FAA and DFW airport, as our launch site is close to the airport.

The NOCC needs supporters and volunteers to help it grow. It has the potential, and a good basic set-up. But it could be much, much more. Think of the Susan G Komen Foundation. It started with ONE woman, who lost her sister to breast cancer.

By the way....I have flight benefits, so if any of you are planning to participate in any event that supports OVCA awareness, research, etc, just let me know and I will join you, if I can. And Lesa....I would love to do whatever I can to help with your video idea.

Carlene

Good ideas
    Great idea Leesa - I've responded on facebook.

Carlene, another good idea. In the UK we have Cancer Research who sponsors "Race for Life" which is predominantly for breast cancer and everything is PINK. All the merchandise is pink. So I have ordered 20 Jade/Teal plain T Shirts and am having OVCA / PPC printed on the back as we all run. All of my supporters will also be wearing a T Shirt. I am thinking of contacting the local press to get my story published - thus raise awareness that women can get other cancers apart from breast cancer!!

OH by the way Carlene, does your flights include a trip to the UK? My race is in Nottingham???

Leesa, I too would love to add to your idea with video footage or still photos.

Love Tina xx