Was there a history of breast cancer in your family?

Options

Comments

• Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Yes, but post-menopause.
    My Grandmother and Great Aunt on my mom's side had it and my Aunt on my dad's side had it. All were over 60. I was 58.

Roseann

I am the first in my family
    I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with breast cancer, had other cancers in the family. Dad passed away from Melanoma and brother diagnosed with two brains tumors. BRCA test was negative.
    Deb
  • Nufferz
    Nufferz Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with breast cancer, had other cancers in the family. Dad passed away from Melanoma and brother diagnosed with two brains tumors. BRCA test was negative.
    Deb

First
    I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Other cancers on both sides, but not breast cancer.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    I am the first on my mom's
    I am the first on my mom's side of the family. My paternal grandmother had BC in the late 40's or early 50's, had a radical mastectomy and lived to age 99. She made her own prosthesis. The surgeon who did my first surgery said my dad's side didnt count, so I guess that makes me the first.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I'm the first
    In my immediate family. I pray my daughters, sisters and nieces do not get it, too. I never thought much about bc, never examined myself, no routine mammo (mammo didn't show it anyway). I found a bulge while shaving under arm.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    laurissa said:

I'm the first
    In my immediate family. I pray my daughters, sisters and nieces do not get it, too. I never thought much about bc, never examined myself, no routine mammo (mammo didn't show it anyway). I found a bulge while shaving under arm.

I am the first Breast Cancer
    I am the first Breast Cancer and/or any other type of Cancer. I am from a large family on both my mom and dads side, there literally are about 100 of us on my moms side, including aunts, uncles and cousins. i quess i was the one that got it, and i pray every night that no one else gets it.
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes
    My mother and all three of her daughters had breast cancer.. all of us in the left breast. I was dxed at 53, exact same age as my mom. Genetic testing came back negative but my doc says that is still most likely genetic.

Dot
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Dot53 said:

Yes
    My mother and all three of her daughters had breast cancer.. all of us in the left breast. I was dxed at 53, exact same age as my mom. Genetic testing came back negative but my doc says that is still most likely genetic.

Dot

I am my mother's daughter...
    She died of breast cancer when she was 51. Every year past 51 I felt safer. Silly me.

Victoria
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    aisling8 said:

I am my mother's daughter...
    She died of breast cancer when she was 51. Every year past 51 I felt safer. Silly me.

Victoria

I am the first
    There is no breast cancer at all in my family. I was diagnosed at 49, I am one of 8 girls, and 3 boys. my mom, and 4 of my sisters have had either fatty cysts, or cysts in their breasts. My GP said that one out of eight women get breast cancer, hopefully I am the only one of my family that will experience it. My moms mom died of overian cancer, and my dads sister died in her 40's of uterine cancer. My father died of pancreatic cancer that spread to his kidneys. i didn't have the genetic testing,
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I am the fourth in my family
    I am the fourth in my family to have BC.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Nope!

We have a small family even including my cousins and I am the first to have breast cancer. In fact we have only had two cases of cancer in our family - colon (great grandfather) and lung (grandfather) due to environmental factors and now I make the third.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I am the first in my family with breast cancer.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Also the first @ 56
    So, now I worry for my daughter.

Sue
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Second....mom was first...
    But I followed a great example of 'kick-butt' attitude!!!

She kept apologizing that she 'gave' it to me...I finally put a stop to it..."So, what you are saying is that you are sorry you gave me life? I'm not...even with the challenges!".

Hugs, Kathi
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    in the family?
    First one.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

in the family?
    First one.

i didn't have a BC
    i didn't have a BC diagnosis,but my biological mum had BC aged 37.She chose a lumpectomy,i THINK she had rads,and Tamoxifen for 5 years.

I had my proph BMx cus of my high risk from recieving mantle rads to treat Hodgkins.Though with my 'mum' having had BC young,i would have been screened earlier anyway. I do worry for my daughter though,as my bio-mum was also adopted and her natural family live in Germany and they have no contact.We don't know if there are more cases of BC out there or not.

My BC consultant asked if i had any Jewish blood relatives living in Germany,as Jews have a higher rate of ovarian cancer. Of course,i have no idea if i have or not! My hubs side has had a few BC cases but i think only 1 was a primary relative~his nan.She got BC in her 30's.The others are her sister/aunt or something.
    They refuses to do gene test on me as i only had my bio-mum with BC! I think it has to be 2 or more primary relatives on ONE side of your family in order to get gene tested here.God forbid,but if i do still go on to get it,then Emily will get tested along with Annie and myself.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Second....mom was first...
    But I followed a great example of 'kick-butt' attitude!!!

She kept apologizing that she 'gave' it to me...I finally put a stop to it..."So, what you are saying is that you are sorry you gave me life? I'm not...even with the challenges!".

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi, what a great
    Kathi, what a great attitude! I love it. I feel bad for my daughter, too, but you put it in perspective.
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    m-star said:

i didn't have a BC
    i didn't have a BC diagnosis,but my biological mum had BC aged 37.She chose a lumpectomy,i THINK she had rads,and Tamoxifen for 5 years.

I had my proph BMx cus of my high risk from recieving mantle rads to treat Hodgkins.Though with my 'mum' having had BC young,i would have been screened earlier anyway. I do worry for my daughter though,as my bio-mum was also adopted and her natural family live in Germany and they have no contact.We don't know if there are more cases of BC out there or not.

My BC consultant asked if i had any Jewish blood relatives living in Germany,as Jews have a higher rate of ovarian cancer. Of course,i have no idea if i have or not! My hubs side has had a few BC cases but i think only 1 was a primary relative~his nan.She got BC in her 30's.The others are her sister/aunt or something.
    They refuses to do gene test on me as i only had my bio-mum with BC! I think it has to be 2 or more primary relatives on ONE side of your family in order to get gene tested here.God forbid,but if i do still go on to get it,then Emily will get tested along with Annie and myself.

Genetics
    Wow I am surprised to see so many who have had genetic testing that are negative guess the less than 10 percent holds true. I was also told my father's side of family didn't count but that is not true you can get a gene from mother or father and was told that when I moved just one province over from where I was living when first trying to be diagnosed. Oh by the way the same doctor told me there was also no corillation with smoking and breast cancer, why they weren't interested if I smoked or not and that also turned out to be false. My father is an only child as well.
    Tara
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    m-star said:

i didn't have a BC

just me
    I did have fibrocystic breasts for years ... and OFTEN had to have some of the cysts asperated. The boobs were also large ... and as I got closer to 50 they seemed so huge and saggy that my back and shoulders were bothering me so I had a reduction. Due to all the asperations and the reduction my new smaller boobs were pretty full of scar tissue so I was never concerned about being "called back" for a follow-up mammogram or ultra-sound. So ... boy ... was I surprised when the follow-up showed something new and different. Thank goodness for all the tests because I would NEVER have found "it" what with all the scar tissue etc.

I'm the first in my family with breast cancer ... but my mother did die from colon cancer at 46... but that was over 40 years ago ... and they didn't have all the tests and treatments for cancer that they have now.

hugs.
    teena
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm not the first...Great
    I'm not the first...Great Aunt, Aunt, Cousin, Second Cousin. I was still surprised when I got the diagnosis. Had mammos from 40 onto diagnosis (I'm 42). I tested negative for the BRCA 1 and 2, but certainly there is a genetic component, we just haven't found it yet.
    Jan
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    Options
    not in my family
    I would be the first....hopefully the only.