First time posting!

neve
neve Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is my first time posting on a breast cancer board. I've had a biliateral mastectomy and 2 treatments of taxol and herceptin - 10 more to go, and then a once every 3 weeks infusion of herceptin for 12 months. I will have to take tamoxifan for 5 years, but the doctors don't feel I need radiation. I've been waiting for the hair loss to happen, and have decided to take my children to the hairdressers tomorrow to watch me have my head shaved. I hate the idea of it just falling out in bits and hope that taking control and shaving it will seem less awful to my kids. I haven't had reconstruction yet, but I'm so glad I found this board as so many women seem to have great advice. No doubt I'll be asking questions as my treatment progresses.

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Neve, I just wanted to
    Neve, I just wanted to welcome you to this amazing group of supportive, caring, understanding and loving individuals. This is not a place that any of us imagined we find ourselves, but I can promise you that you will be glad you did. There are many bc warriors on here and there truly is strength in numbers. It sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns so to speak and managing your life. Good luck and continue to post. We'll be with you every step of the way. Sending (((hugs))) your way!!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Neve, I just wanted to
    Neve, I just wanted to welcome you to this amazing group of supportive, caring, understanding and loving individuals. This is not a place that any of us imagined we find ourselves, but I can promise you that you will be glad you did. There are many bc warriors on here and there truly is strength in numbers. It sounds like you are taking the bull by the horns so to speak and managing your life. Good luck and continue to post. We'll be with you every step of the way. Sending (((hugs))) your way!!

Hi Neve ...
    I had the same course of chemo treatments you're having ... except I had a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy ... and I had radiation. Same thing with taxol/herceptin ... and my hair started coming out on day 15. I ran my hands through my hair ... and ended up with a handful of hair. Called a friend and told her to plug in her clippers because I was on my way over for her to shave me head. Even though I looked like my grandfather after it was done ... it was sort of a relief. I didn't have to wait to see when "it" would happen. Now I've finished with the herceptin, radiation ... and am now on tamoxifen ... and doing fine. It's a long journey ... but we're all in this together ... so please feel comfortable in asking any questions you have ... because someone here has probably "been there ... done that!" We're here to offer our knowledge, experiences and support ... so welcome to this very "special" family.

hugs.
    teena
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome Neve
    I am new here to. Have been here a couple of weeks. You will love these ladies .. Everyone is soo very helpful. You can ask anything at all. Some one will answer you. I am so sad you had to go through this but glad you found this site. Welcome Welcome Welcome.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member

Welcome Neve
    I am new here to. Have been here a couple of weeks. You will love these ladies .. Everyone is soo very helpful. You can ask anything at all. Some one will answer you. I am so sad you had to go through this but glad you found this site. Welcome Welcome Welcome.

Hello to you Neve
    First I would like to say "welcome", I am sorry you had to join like all the rest of us. You know what Neve, your name just called out to me, I'll tell you why.

My username here as you can see is 2 Floridian sisters, My sister died in 1990 from her breast cancer that had spread everywhere and well there was nothing that they could do for her. She lived down in Cape Coral, Florida when she was diagnosed, I live here in Pensacola and was just diagnoses 18 days ago with this crap. We are 2 sisters out of 4 girls, my sister's name was Neva, and I miss her. I am not ready to join her though, I still have things I want to do.

May you continue on your healing path to restored health, I wish many many tomorrows for you to come, God Bless you all, each and every lady in this group.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Hi, Neve!
    Just wanted to welcome you! I had a different cocktail than you but my hair started coming out (in large froups of strands - not clumps) on day 17 and I did the same thing. It was hard to make the decision to shave it off because I was still hoping that maybe I would be one of those who doesn't lose their hair but I felt relieved once I did it. It seemed easier to me than doing a "hair check" every few minutes to see how many hairs were coming out. I wish you the best and welcome!

Chris
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Welcome
    Ask all the questions you need to. It's funny that I come here Tto check up on everyone and find out that theres still so much I haven't thought about. So, out comes the pen and paper, list of new questions to ask my onc about. It's a wonderful site and full of wonderful sisters to help you along the way.
    How old are ur children? Guess they're on the new " adventure" w their mom. Good luck with ur new "hair cut" lol
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Katz77 said:

Welcome
    Ask all the questions you need to. It's funny that I come here Tto check up on everyone and find out that theres still so much I haven't thought about. So, out comes the pen and paper, list of new questions to ask my onc about. It's a wonderful site and full of wonderful sisters to help you along the way.
    How old are ur children? Guess they're on the new " adventure" w their mom. Good luck with ur new "hair cut" lol

Welcome Neve,
    I love your plan to take your children to the hairdresser with you! They will be a part of it and see it as it happens and not be shocked by you just walking inthe house with a 1/4 inch of hair.

Everyone here is full of love, experience and prayers. Keep us posted as to how your hair cut went.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • offroadmudr
    offroadmudr Member Posts: 2
    Katz77 said:

Welcome

New also
    I also am new here. Wished I had found u ladies b-4 now. I was told in August that I had breast cancer. I donated my hair b-4 my treatment 2 kinda try and get ready 4 it. I had 3 treatments (once every 3 weeks) b-4 my hair decided 2 let go. I had my boyfriend shave my head.Best choice 4 me. I tried 2 stay positive about it all and found that not having 2 shave my legs all winter was great. Stay strong and let ur family and friends be there if u need.Its a wild ride.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    (((((((HUGS)))))) and
    (((((((HUGS)))))) and welcome to the most intelligent, caring, supportive, empathetic group of Warrior-Survivors you will ever meet! None of us wanted to find ourselves here, but being that we have, we have bonded in a way that defies belief! Come in often, read, post, and be nurtured by those who now are holding your hand, walking every step with you as you make your way to Life After Cancer...

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Rolling Out the Pink Carpet Just For You!!
    Welcome, Neve!

The best thing I ever did was join the online community here! I'm a mother of two young daughters and had a double mastectomy too.

I love that you are bringing your daughters to the hairdresser with you. These are the stories they will tell when they're older that will spin into yarns of SuperWoman or better!

XXOO,
    JoJo
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    chenheart said:

(((((((HUGS)))))) and
    (((((((HUGS)))))) and welcome to the most intelligent, caring, supportive, empathetic group of Warrior-Survivors you will ever meet! None of us wanted to find ourselves here, but being that we have, we have bonded in a way that defies belief! Come in often, read, post, and be nurtured by those who now are holding your hand, walking every step with you as you make your way to Life After Cancer...

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Ditto
    Hi!

Ditto what the previous posts have said to you. Sorry you are in this club but you will find amazing support here. I just wish it hadn't taken me two years to find the site. I have learned so much from these women and you will too!!!! I didn't need chemo so I can't help you out there but I did have a masectomy with no reconstruction. I started out on AI drugs but needed to go to Tamoxifen because of nasty side effects so any questions with either issue I can try and answer and so will others. Just hang in there, stay positive.
    Hugs, Sally
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome!
    Of all the places I've been since being dx'd - this is the best! Warm & fuzzy, wise & wonderful!

Hugs for you and your children,

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Welcome!
    Of all the places I've been since being dx'd - this is the best! Warm & fuzzy, wise & wonderful!

Hugs for you and your children,

Sue

Hello you will find this
    Hello you will find this group a port in the storm. very helpful and non judgemental. I had my hair buzzed prior to it falling ut. Inever shaved it to the skin, but for all purposes I was bald. you will get through it!