drain change

cavediver
cavediver Member Posts: 607
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
have an appt with surgeon this mornig....drains were producing very little amounts so I was hoping they might be removed today. However, yesterday one drain started to be a much deeper red color and I mentioned this to home nurse who looked at it and said no problem,
Scarey this morning I woke up and the entire bulb was full to the top with dark red liquid...more like blood. It had never been this full since surgery 8 days ago...so I am a bit concerned now. Glad I have the appointment with the Doctor in several hours. Will give update when I can. Geez, I hope this is not a setback

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Good luck and keep us posted
    I am somewhat worried about the drains after my wife has surgery.
    Let us know how everything goes.
    Greg
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    GregStahl said:

Greg

one drain out, one left to go
    surgeon removed the one drain this morning. One thing we read over and over here is we are all different...how true. I read removal was anything from no problem to painful experience. I was prepared for worst .... surgeon removed one and I felt nothing! Yeah!
    The other one that suddenly started to drain much more last night is staying in for another week....he said it is not a problem, and just 'old' blood. The drains are more of a nuisance than anything...and mine leaked where they went in which was annoying also. But some don't leak....so Greg...anything is possible. Have to admit, I felt light headed and all when going this morning....think I got back into 'scared' mode....but feel much better now that Dr. said all looks good and no concern with the 2nd drain now passing blood....however, still looking forward to it being gone hopefully next week!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    GregStahl said:

Greg

Be sure and update us
    Be sure and update us please.
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    cavediver said:

surgeon removed the one drain this morning. One thing we read over and over here is we are all different...how true. I read removal was anything from no problem to painful experience. I was prepared for worst .... surgeon removed one and I felt nothing! Yeah!
    The other one that suddenly started to drain much more last night is staying in for another week....he said it is not a problem, and just 'old' blood. The drains are more of a nuisance than anything...and mine leaked where they went in which was annoying also. But some don't leak....so Greg...anything is possible. Have to admit, I felt light headed and all when going this morning....think I got back into 'scared' mode....but feel much better now that Dr. said all looks good and no concern with the 2nd drain now passing blood....however, still looking forward to it being gone hopefully next week!

I know the feeling!
    Hi!

I had the same problem! My surgery was about 5 weeks ago. It seems that once I left the hospital to recover at home, the stomach drains were really filling up quickly! The nurse did tell me to expect the stomach drains to fill up more than the drains in the breast area. I went to my first consultation after the surgery, and the top drains were removed, without any pain or discomfort, but I had to keep the stomach drains for another week. I was so relieved when all of the drains were finally out!

Hope all the best in your road to recovery!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    cavediver said:

Glad you got the one drain
    Glad you got the one drain out. Crossing fingers that the other will be out next week. When they removed mine, it didn't really hurt, just felt really weird. LOL Take care!