One Year Anniversary...how has life changed?

Victoria1566
Victoria1566 Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
During my treatments last year I thought of all the things I wanted to change in my life but somehow, one year later, very little has changed. I'm still in the same stressful job because I fear losing insurance. I looked into selling my big house so I could downsize the job but the market was too bad. I tried to get more friends but I'm too tired to participate in afterwork or weekend activities.

On the positive side, I have started dating again..sorta. I'm eating better. I'm meditating. I'm applying for lower stress jobs. I'm taking a yoga class. I'm continueing to spend every possible minute with my children.

So I am not where I hoped I would be at this time but I'm moving in the right direction.

Victoria

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    You are moving in the right
    You are moving in the right direction! Keep a positive attitude and just take it one day at a time. Life is good, even after bc. Sending you a big hug!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Yes, you are moving in the right direction
    and doing a good job at it. A great positive attitude. Good for you!!

Sue
  • Victoria1566
    sbmly53 said:

Yes, you are moving in the right direction
    and doing a good job at it. A great positive attitude. Good for you!!

Sue

Thanks
    Thanks for the encouragement. Some days I am more positive than other days. I have never gotten back to my pre-cancer performance level at work and I have told them that I will not renew my contract when it expires in 2011, so I feel like I am just muddling through killing my reputation as a good performer as I look for a better employment fit.

Wouldn't it be great to not have to worry about money and insurance. I would take some creative writing classes and write a wonderful book about a couragous woman who overcomes tremendous challenges then makes the world a better place for the people around her.

Oh well....Good Night....Sweet Dreams

v.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Small steps are still moving forward.....
    You have just fought the biggest battle of your life! You deserve a BIG round of applause for that, alone!!!

The other stuff will come...take time to breathe!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    You have just fought the biggest battle of your life! You deserve a BIG round of applause for that, alone!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

I think you are doing great!
    I think you are doing great! Small steps..small steps! Take care!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Awwww Victoria, put one foot in front of the other...
    From what I just read in your post you sound discouraged, but you're not, Really, otherwise you wouldn't have even cared enough to start the new thread. Girl you will be fine, jobs are tough for everybody right now, you just hang in there and if you don't feel like going that extra mile, then don't. Give to the job whatever you can muster up, I am assumming that with all the treatments it robs you of all your strength and energy, rest, relax, rent a few movies, curl up on the sofa with some good ole popcorn and chill out. Take care of you and don't fret about your performance at work, this is your time to recover from a life changing situation. All this will one day be nothing more than a dark day in your memory. You'll sell the house, your dating situation will improve in time. We are your support team, come here whenever you feel down.

Think happy positive thoughts and remember we all care about you.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Victoria
    I am sorry that it has been tough for you but it certainly sounds like you are trying to move your life in the direction you want to be. The job thing is really tough. When I found out I had breast cancer, the first call I made (even before my husband knew) was to our benefits department to see what would happen about insurance if I had to go on disability or if I was laid off (which is always a concern in my department). We had always tried to prepare for early retirement but that seems impossible now because I likely could not get or afford private insurance. But at the same time, I am in many ways fortunate and try to keep my focus on that. You may not have moved as quickly as you wanted but you are moving and there is much good to be said about that. I hope you find just that job you wanted!!
  • Victoria1566

Victoria
    I am sorry that it has been tough for you but it certainly sounds like you are trying to move your life in the direction you want to be. The job thing is really tough. When I found out I had breast cancer, the first call I made (even before my husband knew) was to our benefits department to see what would happen about insurance if I had to go on disability or if I was laid off (which is always a concern in my department). We had always tried to prepare for early retirement but that seems impossible now because I likely could not get or afford private insurance. But at the same time, I am in many ways fortunate and try to keep my focus on that. You may not have moved as quickly as you wanted but you are moving and there is much good to be said about that. I hope you find just that job you wanted!!

People Judge
    Thanks again for the encouragement. Normally, I'm not depressed about my career situation but recently I met someone who obviously looked down on me because of my lack of big career ambitions. He didn't know about the cancer. I don't want to use cancer as an excuse for anything, so I didn't tell him about what had happened to me during the past year. Sometimes I feel like the people at work are treating me differently because of the cancer, I don't like it. I almost wish my boss would just fire me so I could move on more quickly. Then, if I got a low-stress minimum-wage job at a store or a childcare center I could blame it on the economy rather than cancer.

Love you all.

V.