No J-Pouch

rsnyder
rsnyder Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My son had no room for a j-pouch so he feels like stool sits in the opening of his anus all the time. His surgeon says that he will always have this straight pipe and there is no holding room for the stool as the j-Pouch holds the stool until it tells him it is time for a bowel movement. He stays so raw most of time he can't walk from the raw feeling. Any suggestions. He is doind well having his last oxi in March The port removed in April. If he could get this situation under control, he could move on with his recooperation. I feel really bad for him as we all feel helpless in this situation. Thank you all. I am fairly new here but what a caring group. What a blesing to read of all the support. His first Pet Scan went well. He also has just had an MRI of the pelvic area as the Pet Scan had a spot that turned out to be some kind of "funcky tissue" where he connected his new rectum to the colon. Thank you for your support. Praise be to God where all things are possible. nana

Comments

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    The bottom line
    I can't speak to all that your son is going through but as for the burning butt, I have some experience that may help. For normal "maintenance" I use calmoseptine. A little of that spread generously on the anus provides both protection and cooling and itch relief. When I am very active or the problem is sever I use Desitin Maximum Strength. What that is is 40% zinc oxide. It is much thicker and does not wipe off as easily as normal Desitin (I think that is 20% zinc oxide). The Calmoseptine is 20% zinc oxide and .44% menthol, and oh boy does a little menthol go a long way. Get the biggest tubes you can ,those are the cheapest. You may have to special order the calmoseptine, but it is over the counter, just not everyone carries it.
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member

The bottom line
    I can't speak to all that your son is going through but as for the burning butt, I have some experience that may help. For normal "maintenance" I use calmoseptine. A little of that spread generously on the anus provides both protection and cooling and itch relief. When I am very active or the problem is sever I use Desitin Maximum Strength. What that is is 40% zinc oxide. It is much thicker and does not wipe off as easily as normal Desitin (I think that is 20% zinc oxide). The Calmoseptine is 20% zinc oxide and .44% menthol, and oh boy does a little menthol go a long way. Get the biggest tubes you can ,those are the cheapest. You may have to special order the calmoseptine, but it is over the counter, just not everyone carries it.

ditto on the calmoseptine
    I still use it most days, just in the morning, and it's usually enough for the day. that stuff is great.
    ~Aud