Question about first chemo treatment

Options
Michaelynn
Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I am having my first chemo treatment tomorrow morning. Carbo/Taxol (sp) I am wondering if this will be like a normal IV treatment in that you won't feel anything while its going in? I know some people have side effects right when the treatment begins and of course the side effects after the treatment. But is there anything you normally feel while you are being treated the 4 hours? I am so new at this. I am Stage 1A grade 3 (serous) the doctor says chemo is just for preventive at this point. I tolerated the radiation well but am worried about putting all those chemicals in my body. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options
    Chemo
    I can understand your fear as I was in your shoes last year in February. I brought a good friend with me and it helped so much having support next to me. I'm a question girl and wasn't hesitant to ask many questions as it was all new for me as with you.

I had the same protocol of meds and can tell you the only thing I noticed was the Benadryl (avoid allergic reactions) first given for 15 minutes which caused me to become drowsy. Took approx 30 minutes to gain back my normal self. Otherwise, didn't feel a thing during the entire infusion. Mine took approx 3-1/2 - 4 hours. Bring lots of reading material and/or laptop to keep yourself busy. Lunch wise...my docs office didn't have cafe so I brought one or my friend went out and brought lunch back.

I never took any meds, so you can imagine what was going thru my mind during the infusion. After 2 chemo sessions behind me, it wasn't a big deal, just part of my survival is what I convinced myself.

Try to relax and go with the flow if you can. My docs assistants were wonderful to say the least. I could call them anytime and ask what I would call "stupid" questions.

Best to you!
    Jan
  • Michaelynn
    Michaelynn Member Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jazzy1 said:

Chemo
    I can understand your fear as I was in your shoes last year in February. I brought a good friend with me and it helped so much having support next to me. I'm a question girl and wasn't hesitant to ask many questions as it was all new for me as with you.

I had the same protocol of meds and can tell you the only thing I noticed was the Benadryl (avoid allergic reactions) first given for 15 minutes which caused me to become drowsy. Took approx 30 minutes to gain back my normal self. Otherwise, didn't feel a thing during the entire infusion. Mine took approx 3-1/2 - 4 hours. Bring lots of reading material and/or laptop to keep yourself busy. Lunch wise...my docs office didn't have cafe so I brought one or my friend went out and brought lunch back.

I never took any meds, so you can imagine what was going thru my mind during the infusion. After 2 chemo sessions behind me, it wasn't a big deal, just part of my survival is what I convinced myself.

Try to relax and go with the flow if you can. My docs assistants were wonderful to say the least. I could call them anytime and ask what I would call "stupid" questions.

Best to you!
    Jan

Thank you
    Thank you so much for your reply Jazzy. That is just what I wanted to hear. I am feeling pretty calm right now but who knows once I get there in the morning. My husband is coming with me and will stay through the whole treatment and he is a great support system. Its just the fear of the unknown I think. Once I have the first treatment over with I expect to be fine with all the other 5 treatments.
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    Options

Thank you
    Thank you so much for your reply Jazzy. That is just what I wanted to hear. I am feeling pretty calm right now but who knows once I get there in the morning. My husband is coming with me and will stay through the whole treatment and he is a great support system. Its just the fear of the unknown I think. Once I have the first treatment over with I expect to be fine with all the other 5 treatments.

It is the fear of the unknown.
    I, too, was jittery (to say the least)in anticipation of my first chemo (April 28). I'm on Carbo/taxol also, however, taxol is given every week, while the carbo is given every 3rd week. I did have a reaction to the taxol 7 minutes into the infusion...a body flush. They stopped it, gave me more Benadryl and then started it again. Everything was then OK and I haven't had a reaction since then. Tomorrow is my 6th week of Taxol and finishes my 2nd cycle.

It is the fear of the unknown that is the biggest culprit for anxiety. After tomorrow, you'll be an old pro...you'll know what to expect and the other five treatments will definitely be easier!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you made out. Just relax and keep telling yourself, "After this Wednesday I'll know what to expect!"

Hope and Peace,

JJ
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Options
    what to expect
    Hello my dear: I have had the same condition like you. Doc says that chemo was preventative. Before I had my first infusion I was speaking to a friend in Florida and she told me that her aunt had breast cancer and had to do chemo. She said my aunt "took chemo like a stalwart" Guess what I used those same words during my sessions and was determined to take the chemo like a stalwart. I had absolutely no reaction and felt nothing during the infusion. The medicine although toxic is tolerable. And just think, millions of other people go through the same cycle. So my dear, pray and keep positive and you will soon be over with it. God bless you and remember that Doc will be there with you, nothing can happen and most importantly hubby will be there. You will be surprise how easy it is. Take a lunch and something to read or you may even be able to take a nap. Lots of hugs and I am sending positive thoughts to you. Lets know how you made out. June
    By the way, take some candy or mints it takes your mind off the medicine.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I too was jittery and before
    I too was jittery and before they started they gave me a mix of some stuff which included something to relax me. Then I was fine. You may feel chilly and they will have blankets for you. If you have a DVD player, bring it along to watch movies.