Mast-Reconst-Radiation

Options
GenieM27
GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi All!
I don't post that often, but I do come here often to read the posts. You all have been such an inspiration and have helped me on my journey.

I'm going to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction at the same time. I will also have radiation treatments.

I'm wondering about the recovery time. You see I found out I had cancer a few months after I got engaged. I'm trying to plan my wedding but was wondering how long does it take to recover from surgery? I hear some people are able to go to work 1 month after surgery. I've already had chemo (neoadjuvant) now just waiting for surgery.

Any information you give me would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings to you!
Genie

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Hi Genie. I had a
    Hi Genie. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't reply to your questions. Just want to wish you good luck and congrats on your upcoming marriage!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What type of reconstruction
    What type of reconstruction are you planning?
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Hi Genie!
    Christine Louise's question is an important one. Your recovery time will vary depend on the type of reconstruction.

I had a BMX with immediate reconstruction in February. I had tissue expanders placed during surgery. The first couple of weeks you'll be totally out of commission. You'll have drains and be limited in your mobility. Once the drains came out (and that varies) you'll feel much better.

I took four weeks off and then returned to work. Looking back on it, I should have taken six. My guess is that IF you don't have any complications, and you go the tissue expander route, give yourself at least six weeks. But know, even then, you're still going to be stiff and somewhat uncomfortable and won't be able to do much lifting.

Hang in there.
  • GenieM27
    Options

Hi Genie!
    Christine Louise's question is an important one. Your recovery time will vary depend on the type of reconstruction.

I had a BMX with immediate reconstruction in February. I had tissue expanders placed during surgery. The first couple of weeks you'll be totally out of commission. You'll have drains and be limited in your mobility. Once the drains came out (and that varies) you'll feel much better.

I took four weeks off and then returned to work. Looking back on it, I should have taken six. My guess is that IF you don't have any complications, and you go the tissue expander route, give yourself at least six weeks. But know, even then, you're still going to be stiff and somewhat uncomfortable and won't be able to do much lifting.

Hang in there.

I having the expanders inserted
    Sorry forgot to say what kind of reconstruction - I'm having the expanders. Dawn did you do any type of exercises or physical therapy?

Thanks so much for your response it really helped me a lot. I'm scared, but I'm looking forward to moving on and getting on the other side. :)

Hugs,
    Genie :)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    GenieM27 said:

I having the expanders inserted
    Sorry forgot to say what kind of reconstruction - I'm having the expanders. Dawn did you do any type of exercises or physical therapy?

Thanks so much for your response it really helped me a lot. I'm scared, but I'm looking forward to moving on and getting on the other side. :)

Hugs,
    Genie :)

Yes on exercises
    Dear Genie,

Yes, I did do exercises. M-Star posted "post-masectomy physio" and it has a lot of good information about exercises. I bumped that thread up for you. My PS didn't give me as many to do as m-star posted. Definitely check out that post.

I also found some good exercises on the livestrong website. It was under 'post-masectomy exercises" on the search.

A word to the wise, though. I was very active before the surgery and tried to be 'tough girl' re what they told me I could do and couldn't do. They specifically told me not to walk for exercise for the first two weeks. Well, I didn't listen, and went for a walk and wow, did I pay for it! Big-time muscle spasms. Listen to your doctor and follow his instructions! :) They do know what they're talking about!

I wss terried about my surgery but the very first emotional feeling I felt after the surgery was one of relief. The days leading up are tough. Try to stay busy.

You've made it through the chemo. You can make it through this.

Blessings,
    dh
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Genie -
    I agree with what the others have said. I had a bilateral mastectomy with insertion of tissue expanders back in January. From what my docs told me, having the tissue expanders placed can make recovery a little tougher than the mastectomies alone (bigger surgery and more drains). It took 4 weeks to get the last two drains out. I did go back to work at that time but I was only working a half day and my job is pretty sedentary. You want to be able to enjoy your wedding so I wuld make sure that you have plenty of recovery time so you are feeling well. You may also want to see what your docs say as far as whether there is anything to consider regarding starting your expansions and when they would want to start radiation - that may give you a time frame for building in additional recovery time before your wedding. I wish you the best and hope you have a wonderful wedding!

Chris
  • GenieM27
    Options
    Thank you for this information!
    Thanks for the information! I did see the exercise post, I think I will print out and take to my doctor. Wow 4 weeks with those drains doesn't sound exciting at all. I was hoping it would be a shorter time. I'm gonna try to keep busy with my wedding plans so I don't have time to think about the surgery too much. Hugs to all of you!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    GenieM27 said:

Thank you for this information!
    Thanks for the information! I did see the exercise post, I think I will print out and take to my doctor. Wow 4 weeks with those drains doesn't sound exciting at all. I was hoping it would be a shorter time. I'm gonna try to keep busy with my wedding plans so I don't have time to think about the surgery too much. Hugs to all of you!

I am sure you will be busy
    I am sure you will be busy with your wedding plans. Congrats on that! Try not to worry about your surgery! We will all be with you, in spirit, holding your hand!

Sue :)
  • Kgy
    Kgy Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I had the same
    Hi had the adjuctive thearapy and the imediate reconstruction with the expanders. I was back to work in two weeks. I did not however do the radiation, personal choice. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but do remember to listen to the Dr.'s. I am a very active person and it has been hard not to stay that way but I am healing great now after they put in the permment implants that one was very easy on me anyways. The longer I am out of chemo the faster I am healing. Good luck to you and I know how hard it is mentaly. Hugs to you.