Sugar and cancer

Options
azgrandma
azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
been reading on the net that sugar is not good if you have had cancer, does anyone know if this is true or not, also is there anythng else beside fresh fruits and fresh veggies that you can not eat

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    fruits veggies
    I never heard you cannot eat fruits and veggies. Yes, cancer cells get their fuel from glucose but everything you eat turns to glucose for fuel. Not just sugary foods.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nancy591 said:

fruits veggies
    I never heard you cannot eat fruits and veggies. Yes, cancer cells get their fuel from glucose but everything you eat turns to glucose for fuel. Not just sugary foods.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    I was given a much more
    I was given a much more gentle warning - just to avoid salad bars because you have no way of knowing if those veggies/fruits have been thoroughly washed or not. My common sense tells me that is good advice, but also that anything I prepare at home is okay because I make sure they are clean. Ask your doctor to be more specific. It could make a huge difference in how you feel, if you aren't eating fresh veggies and fruits.

I have "heard" that cancer feeds on sugar, acid, meat, and I don't know how many other foods, so we should not eat them. My doctor says this is nonsense. Eat everything in moderation.

I have also received many, many e mails from well-meaning friends and family, urging me to eat pureed asparagus, juiced vegetables, take certain supplements, etc because it will cure/prevent cancer. Color me skeptical, but until I see a published, well-documented study, I'm not buying it....literally.
  • sanam
    sanam Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Dear azgrandma
    I alredy

Dear azgrandma
    I alredy commented on dairy products .I am a nutritionist and I agree with the replies that you recived.All carbohydrates turn to glucose in your blood and they are your cells food.Only heart muscle in the body is fed by fat.Moderation is the Key as every body mentioned.Enjoy a healhy diet.Try to understand what is your docter concern for veggies and fruits.Maybe he asked you not to have them for a special reason and for a period of time
    Love you
  • azgrandma
    Options
    sanam said:

Dear azgrandma
    I alredy

Dear azgrandma
    I alredy commented on dairy products .I am a nutritionist and I agree with the replies that you recived.All carbohydrates turn to glucose in your blood and they are your cells food.Only heart muscle in the body is fed by fat.Moderation is the Key as every body mentioned.Enjoy a healhy diet.Try to understand what is your docter concern for veggies and fruits.Maybe he asked you not to have them for a special reason and for a period of time
    Love you

white count
    was told no fruit or vegg until white count comes up
    my doctor said I can still eat sugar just like you said, not alot of it lie I used to
  • sanam
    sanam Member Posts: 106
    Options
    azgrandma said:

white count
    was told no fruit or vegg until white count comes up
    my doctor said I can still eat sugar just like you said, not alot of it lie I used to

I wish your WBC counts comes
    I wish your coun comes up.meanwhile you can have nuts and dried fruits.Olive is a very good choice as well.
  • cptv8ing
    cptv8ing Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My oncologist told me that
    My oncologist told me that sugar helped promote growth in cancer cells. This includes all starches, carbs, etc. Sugar "feeds" tumors is what was explained to me and that is why during a lot of treatments your body is yearning for sugar because the tumor is losing it's "blood supply." Sorry I know there is a more technical explanation but this is exactly what I took from it. There is quite a bit of research on it and I've read several articles on it. My oncologist is really trying to get me to give up soda so we have rehashed it a couple of times, lol.

Melanie
  • cptv8ing
    Options
  • oska
    oska Member Posts: 36
    Options
    cptv8ing said:

My oncologist told me that sugar helped promote growth in cancer cells. This includes all starches, carbs, etc. Sugar "feeds" tumors is what was explained to me and that is why during a lot of treatments your body is yearning for sugar because the tumor is losing it's "blood supply." Sorry I know there is a more technical explanation but this is exactly what I took from it. There is quite a bit of research on it and I've read several articles on it. My oncologist is really trying to get me to give up soda so we have rehashed it a couple of times, lol.

Melanie

sugar
    I get more confused about diet, day every day, I read one article saying one thing and another
    something else, I have cut back on sugar, did your oncologist say anything about dairy. Thankyou for posting the information. Love Oska
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cptv8ing said:

Melanie

cutting sugar
    Yes, my sugar craving has increased since diagnosis. Is it truly possible to cut the carbs/sugar out of your life? Even then, will it truly stop or halt the cancer from growing? This debate has been going on for many, many years. I think everything we eat is converted to fuel for our body...thus fueling the cancer. Is not eating sugar really going to impact the cancer? I tend to think the outcome will be the same and the impact will not be great enough to truly make a difference.
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

cutting sugar
    Yes, my sugar craving has increased since diagnosis. Is it truly possible to cut the carbs/sugar out of your life? Even then, will it truly stop or halt the cancer from growing? This debate has been going on for many, many years. I think everything we eat is converted to fuel for our body...thus fueling the cancer. Is not eating sugar really going to impact the cancer? I tend to think the outcome will be the same and the impact will not be great enough to truly make a difference.

Craving fruit
    I've found that I've been craving fruit, particularly citrus fruits since I started chemo. Seems odd, but it's better than craving junk food, so I just go with it ;)

Leesa
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Options
    cptv8ing said:
    Sugar
    Well this Dr. Heise in the link is a chiropractor. He does have a background in nutrition and alternative medicine from what I understand but he's not a cancer expert. Like Nancy said, your body needs sugar and everything you eat is converted to glucose for energy. If you don't get enough sugar and carbs, your body will convert protein and fats. Complex sugars and carbs like fruits, fiber, whole wheat and brown rice are what is reccomended. Simple refined table sugars found in soda, packaged goods and sweetened cereals and fruit juices and such are not healthy and will weaken your immune system. Also, if you get too much sugar, your body will produce more insulin which controls cellular growth including cancerous cells. SO all things in moderation.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Sugar
    Well this Dr. Heise in the link is a chiropractor. He does have a background in nutrition and alternative medicine from what I understand but he's not a cancer expert. Like Nancy said, your body needs sugar and everything you eat is converted to glucose for energy. If you don't get enough sugar and carbs, your body will convert protein and fats. Complex sugars and carbs like fruits, fiber, whole wheat and brown rice are what is reccomended. Simple refined table sugars found in soda, packaged goods and sweetened cereals and fruit juices and such are not healthy and will weaken your immune system. Also, if you get too much sugar, your body will produce more insulin which controls cellular growth including cancerous cells. SO all things in moderation.

I checked him out, too,
    I checked him out, too, Cindy. He claims that chiropractic adjustments and a change in diet cured his dad's arthritis, his mom's Diabetes, and his own Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His testimonials are impressive - people claim he has cured them of everything from thyroid disease to panic attacks, to multiple sclerosis.

Color me skeptical, but the grander the "cure", the more likely I am to question its validity. And this guy is definitely over-the-top.

Carlene
  • cptv8ing
    Options

I checked him out, too,
    I checked him out, too, Cindy. He claims that chiropractic adjustments and a change in diet cured his dad's arthritis, his mom's Diabetes, and his own Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His testimonials are impressive - people claim he has cured them of everything from thyroid disease to panic attacks, to multiple sclerosis.

Color me skeptical, but the grander the "cure", the more likely I am to question its validity. And this guy is definitely over-the-top.

Carlene

LOL! I just posted a site
    LOL! I just posted a site that explained it as simple as possible and never researched the man writing the site! Lesson Learned!!!
  • cptv8ing
    Options

I checked him out, too,

Carlene

LOL! I just posted a site
    LOL! I just posted a site that explained it as simple as possible and never researched the man writing the site! Lesson Learned!!!
  • azgrandma
    Options

I checked him out, too,

Carlene

no soda for me
    have not had soda since sept. also not much sugar at all, i miss pecan pie, and pineapple upseide down cake. My doctor said you can still have sweets, so as soon as my white count comes up going to make a pecan pie and enjoy one piece. I think what they want is for you not to eat alot of sugar
  • marleyboo2
    marleyboo2 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    azgrandma said:

no soda for me
    have not had soda since sept. also not much sugar at all, i miss pecan pie, and pineapple upseide down cake. My doctor said you can still have sweets, so as soon as my white count comes up going to make a pecan pie and enjoy one piece. I think what they want is for you not to eat alot of sugar

Sugar
    I think you have to use common sense whan it comes to diet. I try to stick to things that are as natural as possible. The truth of the matter is that it takes the body a very long time to clean up refined sugar in the system ..this lowers your immune response. Milk products cause inflammation. Inflammation causes disease. I believe in healthy eating and supplements. I never drink anything but water and 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I follow the weight watchers diet plan, I visit my kinesiologist once a month and have for eight years and various other health professionals. I exercise every day. I try my hardest to think positive thoughts everyday and I am still here eight years later..... But I also know one little piece of pecan pie is not going to make the difference so I do treat myself from time to time and negative thoughts creep in but I just try not to pay attention to them. Good luck to everyone. It is a journey of definite highs and lows.
  • marleyboo2
    marleyboo2 Member Posts: 59
    Options

Sugar
    I think you have to use common sense whan it comes to diet. I try to stick to things that are as natural as possible. The truth of the matter is that it takes the body a very long time to clean up refined sugar in the system ..this lowers your immune response. Milk products cause inflammation. Inflammation causes disease. I believe in healthy eating and supplements. I never drink anything but water and 2 cups of coffee in the morning. I follow the weight watchers diet plan, I visit my kinesiologist once a month and have for eight years and various other health professionals. I exercise every day. I try my hardest to think positive thoughts everyday and I am still here eight years later..... But I also know one little piece of pecan pie is not going to make the difference so I do treat myself from time to time and negative thoughts creep in but I just try not to pay attention to them. Good luck to everyone. It is a journey of definite highs and lows.

The impossible.
    I do not know how electricity works but I know as long as I pay my bill if I flip the switch the lights will come on. It is proven that positive thinking and positive actions are healing to the body mind and spirit. I can not see this but I believe all things are possible and I usually will try anything and see how I feel. I do not try to discount anything or anybody's findings.